Position of overflow box

• SRC Member

Is the position of the overflow box important? Most of the current tanks have square or triangular overflow box at a corner of the tank(mine is like tat).

I'm looking at extending the overflow box, meaning from front to back.

Have anyone saw the tank at Ah beng's place? That's the design I'm talking about.

Stood and look at their tank. The suspended particles will flow into the overflow box. But for my tank(corner overflow), even with vortech wavemaker, the suspended particles seem to keep circulating in the tank.

So does the position of the overflow box really aids in easier tank maintenance(more debris get removed from main tank to sump, instead of settling on the rocks?).

Kum sia...

Tank size:36"x36"x24"

Return pump" 2x Reef Octo 5000

Skimmer:BK Double Cone 200 on Reef Octopus DC 5500s.

Wavemaker:2xVortech MP40wES

Chemical filtration:1xeducator FR(biopellets)

Chiller:1hp Daikin compressor.

Lighting:2 x Kessil A360we

Auto topup system: JBJ ATO + new jet 1200

Dosing system: Kamoer 3 channel.

Additives: ESV 2 part.

Power consumption

2XReef Octo 5000: 120watts

BK skimmer:50watts

2xVortech wavemaker:70watts

Daikin compressor:775watts

Lighting:180watts

Ato system:21watts

Exhaust fans:16watts

Refugium light:27watts

• SRC Member

I don't think it's going to make much difference because the rate of water entering your overflow box remains the same. Below should give you better results:

- Increase flow of your return pump

- Add an underflow (provided it's a BB)

- Adjust or add wave maker to flush away suspended particles

- Use filter sock in your sump

• SRC Member

I don't think it's going to make much difference because the rate of water entering your overflow box remains the same. Below should give you better results:

- Increase flow of your return pump

- Add an underflow (provided it's a BB)

- Adjust or add wave maker to flush away suspended particles

- Use filter sock in your sump

so a higher flow return pump n faster overflow rate will probably create a higher suction power to suck the particles towards the overflow box?

Any idea of any tank u come across there are more than 1 down pipe to the sump? Cos I suppose more downpipes n stronger return pump/pumps will have a faster circulation rate.

Hope to come out with a gd plan b4 custom make a new tank.

Power consumption

so a higher flow return pump n faster overflow rate will probably create a higher suction power to suck the particles towards the overflow box?

Any idea of any tank u come across there are more than 1 down pipe to the sump? Cos I suppose more downpipes n stronger return pump/pumps will have a faster circulation rate.

U may consider add underflow too....

post-9248-0-24738200-1315586077_thumb.jp

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• SRC Member

i have 3 down pipe in my over flow box ...

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

• SRC Member

i have 3 down pipe in my over flow box ...

Mind to share what's yr tank size and return flow rate?

Your return lines all in 1 direction?

I'm thinking of using maybe 2 vortechs on one side to concentrate the pulsating power. And the return pipes pointing against the direction of the vortechs.

Power consumption

• SRC Member

Mind to share what's yr tank size and return flow rate?

Your return lines all in 1 direction?

I'm thinking of using maybe 2 vortechs on one side to concentrate the pulsating power. And the return pipes pointing against the direction of the vortechs.

take a look at my tank thread..

i am using a RD6m and a 1260 return ... tank size is 2.5*2.5*2

total i have 3 to sump and 2 return ...in my external overflow

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

• SRC Member

In general, the more vigorous your water movement is, the better it is to push suspended particles into the overflow. In that sense, a wavemaker will typically do a better job at this task. However, you need to give considerations to your LS when adjusting water flow.

With regards to down pipe, for example, a single 2" down pipe can take much greater volume than 2x1" down pipe. So you shouldn't just be looking at the numbers of down pipe. Your down pipe sizing is dependent on your return flow. Too thick a down pipe, you get water trickling down, too thin, you risk flooding.

http://www.aquariumpros.ca/modules/Overflow_Drain_Calculator/index.php

Folks have multiple down pipes for redundancy. In the event 1 is stuck, the 2nd one should take over in the interest of flood prevention.

• SRC Member

In general, the more vigorous your water movement is, the better it is to push suspended particles into the overflow. In that sense, a wavemaker will typically do a better job at this task. However, you need to give considerations to your LS when adjusting water flow.

With regards to down pipe, for example, a single 2" down pipe can take much greater volume than 2x1" down pipe. So you shouldn't just be looking at the numbers of down pipe. Your down pipe sizing is dependent on your return flow. Too thick a down pipe, you get water trickling down, too thin, you risk flooding.

http://www.aquariumpros.ca/modules/Overflow_Drain_Calculator/index.php

Folks have multiple down pipes for redundancy. In the event 1 is stuck, the 2nd one should take over in the interest of flood prevention.

This is my rough idea of my custom made tank. It will be a partition tank with the overflow side getting boxed up(with a swing door to access the vortechs driver that will be hidden in there.

The overflow stretches thru the width of the tank. 2 separate built in acrylic box to double as the wavebox, with 2 vortechs(MP40) installed in it. I dun know should I fabricate the boxes. I am hoping the vortechs + wavebox combo meal will generate stronger waves. Any comments on this?

The 2 waveboxes's top will be lower than the overflow, still unsure lower by how much. I hope to get more suspended particles getting draw to the overflow.

I've not decided where to direct the return pump piping and 1 or 2 return pumps should I get. I'm hoping to hide all the pipings asthetically.

I have an idea of hiding the return pipe within the LR piles and the flow will always help to prevent suspended particles from landing onto the rocks.

Not sure if workable.

Do you think the overflow design is too "overboard" & doesn't make much difference(in terms of luring suspended particles to the overflow) as compared to just getting a centre overflow?

Rimless tanks look nice too. Not sure how much more ex than brace type tanks.

post-19262-0-16959400-1315921970_thumb.j

• Like 1

Power consumption

• SRC Member

This is my rough idea of my custom made tank. It will be a partition tank with the overflow side getting boxed up(with a swing door to access the vortechs driver that will be hidden in there.

The overflow stretches thru the width of the tank. 2 separate built in acrylic box to double as the wavebox, with 2 vortechs(MP40) installed in it. I dun know should I fabricate the boxes. I am hoping the vortechs + wavebox combo meal will generate stronger waves. Any comments on this?

The 2 waveboxes's top will be lower than the overflow, still unsure lower by how much. I hope to get more suspended particles getting draw to the overflow.

I've not decided where to direct the return pump piping and 1 or 2 return pumps should I get. I'm hoping to hide all the pipings asthetically.

I have an idea of hiding the return pipe within the LR piles and the flow will always help to prevent suspended particles from landing onto the rocks.

Not sure if workable.

Do you think the overflow design is too "overboard" & doesn't make much difference(in terms of luring suspended particles to the overflow) as compared to just getting a centre overflow?

Rimless tanks look nice too. Not sure how much more ex than brace type tanks.

your idea is almost the same as mine

put your diy wave box out side beside the over flow box.. cos two box in the tank viewing not nice/.... sooner or later you will hide the box...

• SRC Member

your idea is almost the same as mine

put your diy wave box out side beside the over flow box.. cos two box in the tank viewing not nice/.... sooner or later you will hide the box...

U also have yr overflow in T shaped?

The wavebox on the outside is a great idea! The tank interior would look more asthetic.

Read b4 a book abt different parts of the reef thingy. And trying to choose to build the LR shape into tat principle.

By the way, wat is the title of yr tank thread? I've searched by yr nik and not really can find it.

Thanks.

Power consumption

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

U may consider add underflow too....

post-9248-0-24738200-1315586077_thumb.jp

Hi, in the event the return pump kaput, will the underflow keep on draining water to the sump?

I'm thinking of incoorperating automatic valves in series with a manual valve(in case auto valve fails n need to replace).

Cos I'm thinking of opting yr suggestion to have a mid underflow and low underflow for better water exchange from main tank to sump.

However, with good water exhange, watever goodies I dose into main tank will probably get transported down to the sump and get filtered or skim out.

With the auto valves, during feeding can activate them to close the return pipe and downpipe and so the goodies stay in main tank for the corals.

Power consumption

Hi, in the event the return pump kaput, will the underflow keep on draining water to the sump?

I'm thinking of incoorperating automatic valves in series with a manual valve(in case auto valve fails n need to replace).

Cos I'm thinking of opting yr suggestion to have a mid underflow and low underflow for better water exchange from main tank to sump.

However, with good water exhange, watever goodies I dose into main tank will probably get transported down to the sump and get filtered or skim out.

With the auto valves, during feeding can activate them to close the return pipe and downpipe and so the goodies stay in main tank for the corals.

Nope, It won't drain.. That is 2 layer, underflow set at outer layer and overflow set at inner layer... Will snap some pics on ReefTech design.. Quite good for those who plan for new tank. Available at Gemsurfs soon... :)

For check valve, I recommend FIP/GF Y Valve as shown below, less flow treat off...

post-9248-0-41996100-1319471619_thumb.jp

Cheers..

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Nope, It won't drain.. That is 2 layer, underflow set at outer layer and overflow set at inner layer... Will snap some pics on ReefTech design.. Quite good for those who plan for new tank. Available at Gemsurfs soon... :)

For check valve, I recommend FIP/GF Y Valve as shown below, less flow treat off...

post-9248-0-41996100-1319471619_thumb.jp

Cheers..

Need advice on return & drain pip.

Here is the pic.

Drainreturnpath-2.jpg

For 1st diagram, if the return pump kaput, the return pipe will siphon the main tank water. The siphon will only stop when the water level is below the return pipe opening?

For 2nd diagram, if I modify the return pipe & add another return opening at the top, then when the return pump fails, the siphon will stop when the water level is below the top return opening?

For underflow, when the water from the surface flows to the durso pipe and a suction is established, water from the underflow will get suck to the durso too? Is that the correct underflow design? Does the distance(divider) affect the underflow's suction? If the distance is to big like 1 inch, the main tank water will need to have a stronger flow to create a suction on the underflow?

Thanks. Doing R&D on my next build.

Power consumption

• SRC Member

Need advice on return & drain pip.

Here is the pic.

Drainreturnpath-2.jpg

For 1st diagram, if the return pump kaput, the return pipe will siphon the main tank water. The siphon will only stop when the water level is below the return pipe opening?

For 2nd diagram, if I modify the return pipe & add another return opening at the top, then when the return pump fails, the siphon will stop when the water level is below the top return opening?

For underflow, when the water from the surface flows to the durso pipe and a suction is established, water from the underflow will get suck to the durso too? Is that the correct underflow design? Does the distance(divider) affect the underflow's suction? If the distance is to big like 1 inch, the main tank water will need to have a stronger flow to create a suction on the underflow?

Thanks. Doing R&D on my next build.

this is my tank ...

1st & 2nd pix, unless you intend to install a back flow valve, do consider the water draining when you turn off the return pump

3rd pix, please note the height if you are not going BB, my underflow gap is 1cm

and for the durso pipe, i notice the higher the placement the better

you have lesser waterfall noise

cheers

1st n 2nd pics, you might wanna consider just drilling a hole on the return pipe just below ur water level to break the siphon. Cos I've the check valve that CFOh show in all my tanks and realize that they usually don't work. I use the drill hole method but still install those valve cos I kiasu. :)

Btw, why you wanna built wave box for Vortec MP pumps? If want wave box, might as well get the tunze wave box. Since cost wise about the same as vortech.

• SRC Member

1st & 2nd pix, unless you intend to install a back flow valve, do consider the water draining when you turn off the return pump

3rd pix, please note the height if you are not going BB, my underflow gap is 1cm

and for the durso pipe, i notice the higher the placement the better

you have lesser waterfall noise

cheers

Back flow valve means check valve?

im going abt 4 inch dsb. So yr underflow design is a long rectangular shape? A tank maker told me can only drill circle shape not rect shape.

Is yr underflow design same as my drawing? I can't find a design on web for reference.

Thks!

Power consumption

• SRC Member

1st n 2nd pics, you might wanna consider just drilling a hole on the return pipe just below ur water level to break the siphon. Cos I've the check valve that CFOh show in all my tanks and realize that they usually don't work. I use the drill hole method but still install those valve cos I kiasu. :)

Btw, why you wanna built wave box for Vortec MP pumps? If want wave box, might as well get the tunze wave box. Since cost wise about the same as vortech.

Based on both pics, plan to have the return pipe within the overflow box. A hole is cut on the tank n return pipe opening is glued to the hole. So i just need to drill a small hole at the top, below the main tank water level to break the siphon?

Under normal operation, water will come out frm this hole right?

Actually I wan to create a tank as " clean " look as possible. But im afraid putting a vortech in a box might reduce its efficiency. I probably need to cut a big hole for the vortech which in turn becomes more " prominent". So not going to do the boxup of cortex anymore.

Power consumption

• SRC Member

For pic(1), there's no need for your return line to go up, then down before exiting into main tank. Just have a 90 degree elbow to exit into main tank to minimize head loss.(Example pic below). Because, either way, water will drain to mouth of return outlet when pump fails. Best way is to ensure your sump has extra capacity to handle the back flow volume.

DSC01372.jpg

Above pic from thewire@www.nano-reef.com

Based on both pics, plan to have the return pipe within the overflow box. A hole is cut on the tank n return pipe opening is glued to the hole. So i just need to drill a small hole at the top, below the main tank water level to break the siphon?

Under normal operation, water will come out frm this hole right?

Actually I wan to create a tank as " clean " look as possible. But im afraid putting a vortech in a box might reduce its efficiency. I probably need to cut a big hole for the vortech which in turn becomes more " prominent". So not going to do the boxup of cortex anymore.

Yes, water will come out of the small drilled hole but it's insignificant. Where u drill the hole will be where the water level be when u off the return pump.

I don't think vortech will work like wave box. Even without a wave box, I think vortech can create huge wave. :)

• SRC Member

For pic(1), there's no need for your return line to go up, then down before exiting into main tank. Just have a 90 degree elbow to exit into main tank to minimize head loss.(Example pic below). Because, either way, water will drain to mouth of return outlet when pump fails. Best way is to ensure your sump has extra capacity to handle the back flow volume.

DSC01372.jpg

Above pic from thewire@www.nano-reef.com

I'm plannin for a 3x3x2 rimless with external overflow. cabinet maybe 4 or 4.5ft. 4 inch DSB. Return opening will be about 4.5inch above the DSB. So return will be about 8.5inch from bottom.

The 90deg return was initially on my mind but most pple strongly advise not to.

So to have best of both worlds, I suppose I can reduce the height of the return line(dun need go so high up then down, about half the height of tank then come down and exit to main tank) and drilled a small hole at the return? This way I might have lesser head loss and at most half of main tank water will drain to sump?

So if my return pipe goes to half of my tank height(12inch) and bends downwards to tank height of 8.5inch and exit to main tank. I drill a hole at about 12inch point.

So for rimless normally pple make the overflow about 4inches lower than the top of tank? So that when wavemaker turns on, the water will not splash over?

So to calculate my estimated sump vol, I should take 12inch(which is where the hole drilled at the return line at 12inch) minus 4inch(since the top 4 inch of tank is "empty" = 8inch of water. So I just use 36inch x 36inch x 8inch = 44.9gal for my sump?

Sorry for the long long story...

Thanks!!

Power consumption

• SRC Member

I'm plannin for a 3x3x2 rimless with external overflow. cabinet maybe 4 or 4.5ft. 4 inch DSB. Return opening will be about 4.5inch above the DSB. So return will be about 8.5inch from bottom.

The 90deg return was initially on my mind but most pple strongly advise not to.

So to have best of both worlds, I suppose I can reduce the height of the return line(dun need go so high up then down, about half the height of tank then come down and exit to main tank) and drilled a small hole at the return? This way I might have lesser head loss and at most half of main tank water will drain to sump?

So if my return pipe goes to half of my tank height(12inch) and bends downwards to tank height of 8.5inch and exit to main tank. I drill a hole at about 12inch point.

So for rimless normally pple make the overflow about 4inches lower than the top of tank? So that when wavemaker turns on, the water will not splash over?

So to calculate my estimated sump vol, I should take 12inch(which is where the hole drilled at the return line at 12inch) minus 4inch(since the top 4 inch of tank is "empty" = 8inch of water. So I just use 36inch x 36inch x 8inch = 44.9gal for my sump?

Sorry for the long long story...

Thanks!!

You can take a look at below link wavebox demo. The return outlet & overflow do not look to be extra low to me. Anyway, you have the final say.