Live sand

• SRC Member

Hi bro..tis time round im optin to use live sand for my setup but got afew qn to ask bef gog into it..

Am new to live sand as all along i have been using barebottom concpt.

Qn

1:Buy those pack live sand over e shelf type or get fm those alrdy in tanks running in seawater type of live sand??

Wic is better??

1:How high shld e live sandbed b to function its purpose??Will 2-3inch sandbed be ok??

Mine is a 2nd hand 3ft by 1.5 by 1.5 tank

thks for the advise...

• SRC Member

Hmmm consider any sand digging fishes etc.(finer sand would be better if u have). I would get the packed live sand and alittle from those cured in tanks to jumpstart the bacteria process. 2-3 inches would be good but if u plan for a deep sand bed arnd 5-6 inches at least to cultivate anaerobic bacteria for nitrate but too high not that nice to look also? This is from what i read though...:) try using deep sand bed in your sump or refugium if u planning to use the sand bed for its bacteria cultivation.:) hope i helped...:)

Fresh fishes and inverts! What's next? To the salty side of marine of course!:)

"Never to part, lest jealous heaven stole our hearts"

• SRC Member

Hmmm consider any sand digging fishes etc.(finer sand would be better if u have). I would get the packed live sand and alittle from those cured in tanks to jumpstart the bacteria process. 2-3 inches would be good but if u plan for a deep sand bed arnd 5-6 inches at least to cultivate anaerobic bacteria for nitrate but too high not that nice to look also? This is from what i read though...:) try using deep sand bed in your sump or refugium if u planning to use the sand bed for its bacteria cultivation.:) hope i helped...:)

will a live sand with 2-3inches be able to help in cultivate bacteria in the main tank?? or must it be 6inches dep??

Also if keeping warsse etc,is it consider sand digging fishes??

thks

• SRC Member

Ya,high sand bed Dun look nice,3-4" is alright remain to get eggcrate n place liverock first b4 sand if got sand digging fish.hope I help.:)

y must put eggcrate then LR on top then sand??

Does tat mean tat aft tat i cant rescape anymore??

thks

I think eggcrate is to protect ur tank n stable the rock so when u get sand shiftiing n digging fish it won't collaspe d rock,cos when I first setup my tank my rock was on the 3inch sand,n soon my sand digging fish show their destructive power or distabilize the rock that were once nicely pile ontop of d sand.

• SRC Member

will a live sand with 2-3inches be able to help in cultivate bacteria in the main tank?? or must it be 6inches dep??

Also if keeping warsse etc,is it consider sand digging fishes??

thks

Deep sand bed cultivates more of both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria. 2-3 inches more to aerobic, rmb reading that aerobic for converting ammonia to nitrite and then anaerobic for nitrate if km not wrong...:) fishes wise, have to check each of their own characteristics. Sorry...:) eggcrates is more for preventing rocks from toppling straight and break glass. Recommended but its your call since u work with barebottom before..:)

Anw with eggcrates or not, best is to stack your rocks then pour in sand...:)

• SRC Member

Deep sand bed cultivates more of both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria. 2-3 inches more to aerobic, rmb reading that aerobic for converting ammonia to nitrite and then anaerobic for nitrate if km not wrong...:) fishes wise, have to check each of their own characteristics. Sorry...:) eggcrates is more for preventing rocks from toppling straight and break glass. Recommended but its your call since u work with barebottom before..:)

Anw with eggcrates or not, best is to stack your rocks then pour in sand...:)

so live sand do help to cycle the tank better as its alive...

hmm..think i will buy fm fish farm that have those live sand cultivated in their tank alrdy..but come to think of it those cultivated in tank one will it have alrdy collected alot of dirt?? Was worrie abt tis issue..

• SRC Member

so live sand do help to cycle the tank better as its alive...

hmm..think i will buy fm fish farm that have those live sand cultivated in their tank alrdy..but come to think of it those cultivated in tank one will it have alrdy collected alot of dirt?? Was worrie abt tis issue..

Jireh has some cured live sand but aragonite is better, do some research to compare and confirm.:) there's bound to be dirt and stuff in packed ones too...:) best is still to get some from tank to seed those packed ones as packed ones are sort of unused... That's just my opinion as no one knows how long its in that tank.:D

• SRC Member

Jireh has some cured live sand but aragonite is better, do some research to compare and confirm.:) there's bound to be dirt and stuff in packed ones too...:) best is still to get some from tank to seed those packed ones as packed ones are sort of unused... That's just my opinion as no one knows how long its in that tank.:D

yah im looking at live sand fm jiren...it looks clean to me as they got separate tank for it..but dun noe is the live sand tank is connected to their other tank boh...

yah lor as we cant tell how mature is their live sand liao....

yah im looking at live sand fm jiren...it looks clean to me as they got separate tank for it..but dun noe is the live sand tank is connected to their other tank boh...

yah lor as we cant tell how mature is their live sand liao....

bro, personally I would get live argonite sand rather than sand from LFS tank.

you need to check the expiry date on the packaging as they have limited shelf life.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

Get the live sand/agronite from Caribsea, good quality... helps to cycle the tank fast too.

Also, do note if you put eggcrate below it will create some sort of deadzone due to no water/air passing through..What i did was to prop up the eggcrate a little with some of the T-joint pipings.

• SRC Member

Get the live sand/agronite from Caribsea, good quality... helps to cycle the tank fast too.

Also, do note if you put eggcrate below it will create some sort of deadzone due to no water/air passing through..What i did was to prop up the eggcrate a little with some of the T-joint pipings.

thks,jzt got 2 pack fm reefdepot..

if not enough then mayb i add abit of normal sand in as i dun wan such thick sandbed...im keeping fish only setup...

• SRC Member

ic... Fish only, don't really need sand unless you have wrasses... If u keeping wrasses, can pile or place sand in a small container at one corner for them..

my wife wan to keep wrasses tats y im putting in sand bed...

as hard to keep them for long without sandbed..esp e big type...

will it defeat e purpose of putting in live sand if i mix a pack of normal sand in tog for cycle????

thks