Lighting

I intend to set up a 3x2x2 tank with 6xT5 lighting. Was told by someone to reduce the depth of my tank to 20inches(max22) instead of 24(2ft). This is cos the effective range of the T5 is about 18inches. Can someone tell me is this true? The explanation given was that for 20inches depth, I got top 2inches unuse(tank top to water level) plus a 2inches substrate, hence giving me 16inches of water depth which is within the T5 lights effective range.

• SRC Member

I intend to set up a 3x2x2 tank with 6xT5 lighting. Was told by someone to reduce the depth of my tank to 20inches(max22) instead of 24(2ft). This is cos the effective range of the T5 is about 18inches. Can someone tell me is this true? The explanation given was that for 20inches depth, I got top 2inches unuse(tank top to water level) plus a 2inches substrate, hence giving me 16inches of water depth which is within the T5 lights effective range.

Dun think u be putting all Corals at bottom. U can have diff corals type at diff levels. Some corals dun need strong light.

Tank size:36"x36"x24"

Return pump" 2x Reef Octo 5000

Skimmer:BK Double Cone 200 on Reef Octopus DC 5500s.

Wavemaker:2xVortech MP40wES

Chemical filtration:1xeducator FR(biopellets)

Chiller:1hp Daikin compressor.

Lighting:2 x Kessil A360we

Auto topup system: JBJ ATO + new jet 1200

Dosing system: Kamoer 3 channel.

Additives: ESV 2 part.

Power consumption

2XReef Octo 5000: 120watts

BK skimmer:50watts

2xVortech wavemaker:70watts

Daikin compressor:775watts

Lighting:180watts

Ato system:21watts

Exhaust fans:16watts

Refugium light:27watts

• SRC Member

Understand your point. But is it true that the effective range of T5 is up to 18inches water depth?

Not true...

For your case should be enough liao hence not to worry...

Anyway u gonna have some LR before putting corals right? This will rise the distance of your corals nearer to the lighting already and some corals dun need strong light so u can always put them nearer to the base.

Moral of the story, think before u purchase so u can at least know how u gonna scape your corals.

Happy Reefing

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!