Baffles in Sump & Micro Bubbles

Planned tank size 3x2x2

I got tank maker X telling me that my sump needs only 2 compartments since sump will be small: 1st about 1ft for filter(water from tank) and 2nd about 20inches for placing skimmer, reactor, return pump etc. No need for baffling panels.

Tank maker Y tells me a must for baffling pnels else I will get lotsa micro bubbles from the skimmer. Filter bag will not help me to remove the micro bubbles and even if it does, how am i going to fix it to the skimmer.

Understands Y's view about micro bubbles but with baffles, my small sump will end up having no room for accessories, right? If to have baffles, which I understand per set consists 3 glass panels about 1" apart, how many set must I have? Is the sump going to be 1st compartment for water into filter, 2nd for skimmer, then baffles, then into last compartment for reactors and return flow?

A little confused who is right. Pls advise.

my previous setup has 1 compartment buffer

still got micro bubbles, especially after water change, feeding cyclop eeze or dose additives

current has 2, micro bubbles free

So does it mean that tank maker Y is right that is a must to have baffles?

and I need 2 sets of the baffles to reduce/remove all the micro bubbles? meaning skimmer compartment, then 1st set baffles, then compartment for reactors, then 2nd set baffles, before final compartment for returm flow?

• SRC Member

Planned tank size 3x2x2

I got tank maker X telling me that my sump needs only 2 compartments since sump will be small: 1st about 1ft for filter(water from tank) and 2nd about 20inches for placing skimmer, reactor, return pump etc. No need for baffling panels.

Tank maker Y tells me a must for baffling pnels else I will get lotsa micro bubbles from the skimmer. Filter bag will not help me to remove the micro bubbles and even if it does, how am i going to fix it to the skimmer.

Understands Y's view about micro bubbles but with baffles, my small sump will end up having no room for accessories, right? If to have baffles, which I understand per set consists 3 glass panels about 1" apart, how many set must I have? Is the sump going to be 1st compartment for water into filter, 2nd for skimmer, then baffles, then into last compartment for reactors and return flow?

A little confused who is right. Pls advise.

Firstly, you need to size up your sump dimension. Factors influencing this would be your cabinet & door size, as well as if you plan to have equipment sitting outside your sump tank (e.g. return pump, skimmer, CA reactor,...etc)

So assume the above is done. Now a typical sump has 3 compartment.(i.e. 1st pre-filter using wool or filter sock, 2nd for skimmer & reactors, lastly for return pump, chiller pump)

It is possible to combine compartment 1 & 2 if you're using filter sock.

Water flowing from skimmer compartment into return pump compartment should go under the 1st baffle. (if you have space, let it go under-over, or under-over-under.) Personally, space between baffles need not be too big. (Hint: Look at cross-section of your overflow piping size exiting into your sump. Compare it with the cross-section of the gap between your baffles.)

If space allows, some people create an additional refugium partition to cultivate chaeto for nutrient export. Water flowing out of this compartment should go over a baffle to prevent stuff from entering into last compartment. Install additional overflow comb if required.

hmm.. I am relatively new to this as well..

Ok, i have a wet/dry sump and i was thinking of having a refugium as well. Is it possible?

I have read from another forum that says if a refugium was to be set up, a wet/dry with bio material such as bio ball is a no-no as it might lead to more nitrate or is it nitrite.

Can help me with this?