Starfish for Harlequin

SQKRU

Dear members.

I just purchased two Harlequin shrimp for my tank. At the moment, I have placed the Harlequin shrimp and Starfish (food for Harlequin shrimp) in a Beta/ Breeder box. Upper level for shrimp and lower for Starfish.

Do you think its better than I let the Starfish out in the tank and Harlequin in the Breeder tank? Cos I currently have 3 Angelfish (I rusty,1 Emperor, 1 Eibli's) 2 Common clown, 2 Cleaner shrimp, 1 camelback shrimp, I domino damsel, 1 yellow tailed damsel, 1 Banggai Cardinal, 1 Goby and 3 anemones. Was advise to put the Harlequin in the betta/ breeder box as the fishes might pick on the Harlequins.

So do you think its ok for Starfish to be in tank with other fish and when its feeding time, to put the starfish in the betta tank? Please advise.

Advise greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Oh really? cos my other fishes especially the Angel seems to be picking on the live rocks and sometimes the anemone. so you think its ok? here are the fishes ive got....

1 Rusty Angel

1 Emperor Angel

1 Eibli's Angel

1 Domino Damsel

1 Yellow Finned Damsel (i think)

2 Common Clown Fish

2 Cleaner Skunk Shrimp

1 Camelback Shrimp

1 Goby

1 banggai Cardinal

3 Anemone

Please advise...

Hei,

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

Just fed my Harlequin Shrimp with a Starfish...

When should I take the dead Starfish out of the tank? Just so that I don't pollute the tank...

Cheers

• SRC Supporter

Usually the harlequin shrimp will keep the starfish alive till they eaten the last leg, but still some time i saw my shrimp kill the starfish before eating it up.

In order not to pollute my tank too much, i will usually cut one of the leg and let them feed while i kept the starfish inside my refrugium for it to heal back, If you have a few starfish inside your refrugium, you can rotate with different star fish each time. I do observe as well that they tend to feed slower if there is only one leg available for them to feed upon instead of the whole star fish.

By following the method above, 2 starfish can usually last my shrimp for about 3 month.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...