How to clear sandbed?

Hi all,

Very new to marine and I just started with 3 clownfish and currently in the state of doing up a bigger tank. When i started to feed my clownfish and they didn't manage to get the food, resulting to alot of food on the bed. Is there any filter or ways that i can remove those food?

• SRC Member

You can get a portable aquarium vacuum to remove them. I think C328 sells it.

Meanwhile, feed less. Clowns typically are aggressive eaters & will pick up food on the bottom. If you just introduced them into your tank, then give them a few days to accustom to the new environment.

Went to ah beng last weekend to look for shrimps. Only saw 2 types, boxer shrimp and the other one don't remember. The price of the boxer shrimp look attractive but I'm just worried that they might attack my fishes. Any other locations that any bros can recommend to see more varieties of shrimps?

Additional to that, was hoping to get some anemone to add into my tank, saw ah beng offering me bubble anemone, looks small and the color not bright. Can recommend me a good place to source for more varieties?

Thanks all in advance..

• SRC Member

Hi all,

Very new to marine and I just started with 3 clownfish and currently in the state of doing up a bigger tank. When i started to feed my clownfish and they didn't manage to get the food, resulting to alot of food on the bed. Is there any filter or ways that i can remove those food?

First of all, you may be feeding too much or too fast to your fishes. Feed only small amounts and only until what your fishes can consume in 3-5 minutes.

Next, You can get some cleaning crew to help pick up leftovers. Nassarius snails, Cleaner shrimps, hermit crabs, sally lightfoots, bottom dwelling fishes.

After a while, detritus will build up even if left over foods are fully consumed. I use the below product to clear up detritus.

5bf64fa9f421da787d5729f60d4ec23a.png

Gravel & Substrate Cleaner

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

Went to ah beng last weekend to look for shrimps. Only saw 2 types, boxer shrimp and the other one don't remember. The price of the boxer shrimp look attractive but I'm just worried that they might attack my fishes. Any other locations that any bros can recommend to see more varieties of shrimps?

Additional to that, was hoping to get some anemone to add into my tank, saw ah beng offering me bubble anemone, looks small and the color not bright. Can recommend me a good place to source for more varieties?

Thanks all in advance..

Introduce anemones only to matured and stabilized tanks. They are not for beginners. They also require good lights and water conditions. For specimens with good colour, try Marine Life.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

I give them those floating flakes which suppose to increase the surface time before hitting the bed, however they seems to miss out the food. Maybe I'm just too worried that they are hungry cos when they are introduce to the tank, it took them a few days to start eating which I think should be common. Will dropby am later to take a look on the options.

As for anemone, seems to me that thy aren't those hardy type. Just feeling like giving the clownfish a better place for them to swim ard. Maybe for now I will just look around and not to commit too fast on getting one. So the focus point now will be getting a cleaner parties to do the job.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, you may be feeding too much or too fast to your fishes. Feed only small amounts and only until what your fishes can consume in 3-5 minutes.

Next, You can get some cleaning crew to help pick up leftovers. Nassarius snails, Cleaner shrimps, hermit crabs, sally lightfoots, bottom dwelling fishes.

After a while, detritus will build up even if left over foods are fully consumed. I use the below product to clear up detritus.

5bf64fa9f421da787d5729f60d4ec23a.png

Gravel & Substrate Cleaner

Hello, does the gravel and substrate cleaner clean up the tank like instantly??? very clean?