Colorful SPS and Zoas !!!

cedricang

Dr Ang, when you free? Maybe go over your place for therapy.. :)

CFO Sir, you know my timing wat....lol

Sms me and shall be a pleasure to receive you and Desi over :groupwavereversed:

Treat others the way you wanna be treated...

Thanks ! hope those frags are doing good in ya tank so far :)

It's ok bro, sometime passion are gone for good or perhaps both of them are having some other priorities in their life now, what's important is that they enjoy their current state :friends:

The frags all are doing well and the mandarin orange frag has grown a new head. :)

By the way, for your SPS frag tanks, are you utilizing a calcium reactor or using a dosing pump to dose Ca,Alk, Mg, Kalk?

That's a good sign that your tank is in healthy mode :welldone:

I am using a CR for my SPS Ca and Alk needs. I only use Kalk occasionally together with my top-off. As for Mg, I rely on my weekly - fortnightly water change to keep the Mg level.

CR is very convenient for me, just need to know the trick of tuning and it will be good for a long time till the CO2 runs out. But the balling method now seems to be the trend now as dosing is very easy to manage and the dosing amount can now be done at surgical precision, so i think its a good way for most of the reefers :)

Thanks bro, wanted to visit your setup but you were busy this month remember ? May be we try to catch up over kopi next week or so when you are more free from work commitment :friends:

Call me along. Super maxz is an electronic wizard. Everything is commuterised. I vote him as the most efficient reefer keeper !

mike

uncle Cedric, can I just take :

P3 - Chili Red Mille - $38

P7 - Forest Fire Digitata - $28

My wife just loves the redness of these SPS ?

Haha Frank, thank you for upgrading me to uncle status, but i think am still not up to that prestigious level as yet lah :heh:

Really sorry to say that both chilli and fire has all sold out, the mother colony now almost botak liao haha :lol: however still very welcome you and your CO to come over for kopi ^_^

Now a days CO giving approval for SPS update/upgrade, so better use this opportunity to buy and buy....

She say our new tank very green and some pink here and there, that's why now she's into red .

Let me know when you have any of those red available.

Haha Frank, thank you for upgrading me to uncle status, but i think am still not up to that prestigious level as yet lah :heh:

Really sorry to say that both chilli and fire has all sold out, the mother colony now almost botak liao haha :lol: however still very welcome you and your CO to come over for kopi ^_^

That's a good sign that your tank is in healthy mode :welldone:

I am using a CR for my SPS Ca and Alk needs. I only use Kalk occasionally together with my top-off. As for Mg, I rely on my weekly - fortnightly water change to keep the Mg level.

CR is very convenient for me, just need to know the trick of tuning and it will be good for a long time till the CO2 runs out. But the balling method now seems to be the trend now as dosing is very easy to manage and the dosing amount can now be done at surgical precision, so i think its a good way for most of the reefers :)

Thanks for sharing your methods bro! I have one question regarding blue acros - how do you keep the colours, especially those deep blue ones?

Thanks for sharing your methods bro! I have one question regarding blue acros - how do you keep the colours, especially those deep blue ones?

Don't mention :)

Blue and Purple color is generally considered by many experience sps players as one of the most challenging color to hold. In my own experience, nutrient level seems to be one of the most critical factor. I have done some experiment and it seems to be the case i.e. as nutrient level goes up, the blue and purple begins to turn dull. If the nutrient level goes down the reverse happens.

Of course, the above nutrient factor holds true provided that sufficient lights are given to these blue or purple sps.

Hope this helps :friends:

Dr Ang, that means my tank can NEVER keep blue/purple SPS lor! LOL...

btw, thinking of dropping by on Friday... will sms u beforehand.

Lol....you must be kidding lah, Desi shown me one of the humillis that was kept for sometime and showing very nice color. If your tank can retain humillis color, there will be no issue for most of the blue/purple sps :)

Don't mention :)

Blue and Purple color is generally considered by many experience sps players as one of the most challenging color to hold. In my own experience, nutrient level seems to be one of the most critical factor. I have done some experiment and it seems to be the case i.e. as nutrient level goes up, the blue and purple begins to turn dull. If the nutrient level goes down the reverse happens.

Of course, the above nutrient factor holds true provided that sufficient lights are given to these blue or purple sps.

Hope this helps :friends:

It certainly helps! By the way, do you dose potassium in any form? I read that a lack of potassium will affect blue and purple colouration in sps corals.

There is no need to dose potassium in order to keep a blue color sps. As i have mentioned, my experience points to a low nutrient ( not necessary ultra low nutrient) water condition as a good enough condition for achieving a blue color sps.

So far, i have been able to hold blue and purple colors without any use of potassium though it has been widely said that potassium seems to enhance blue coloration. However it is very important to also note that sps tank has been reported crashed as a result of potassium overdose <_<

I would suggest avoid potassium dosing for new reefers. Regular water change with a good source of nsw or a good salt mix will be enough to maintain a reasonable level of potassium. :)

• Like 1

There is no need to dose potassium in order to keep a blue color sps. As i have mentioned, my experience points to a low nutrient ( not necessary ultra low nutrient) water condition as a good enough condition for achieving a blue color sps.

So far, i have been able to hold blue and purple colors without any use of potassium though it has been widely said that potassium seems to enhance blue coloration. However it is very important to also note that sps tank has been reported crashed as a result of potassium overdose <_<

I would suggest avoid potassium dosing for new reefers. Regular water change with a good source of nsw or a good salt mix will be enough to maintain a reasonable level of potassium. :)

Thanks bro. I checked my nutrient levels and NO3 and PO4 levels are undetectable with salifert test kits => note to other forummers: these are not the best test kits in the market unlike Lamotte and Hanna checkers.

I have a pink hystrix frag and a pink millepora frag which are keeping their pink colours so I am very tempted to buy a couple of blue or purple frags from you to try out. :P

Imo, salifert test kits is good enough for most general reefing needs, of course they are not as digitally precise as say hanna...anyway i have been using salifert for the past 4 years.and most of the time using just the KH test kit alone to ensure my water KH is at the acceptable range.

Your tank has low bio-load, so it's easier to up keep blue and purple sps. Never try, never know :upsidedown:

Imo, salifert test kits is good enough for most general reefing needs, of course they are not as digitally precise as say hanna...anyway i have been using salifert for the past 4 years.and most of the time using just the KH test kit alone to ensure my water KH is at the acceptable range.

Your tank has low bio-load, so it's easier to up keep blue and purple sps. Never try, never know :upsidedown:

Okay, I succumb to temptation! :P

I will buy three blue frags from you. Do let me know of an appropriate time and day for me to come to your place.

Okay, I succumb to temptation! :P

I will buy three blue frags from you. Do let me know of an appropriate time and day for me to come to your place.

Lol...will arrange with you later :)

What is your KH level?

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

Lol...will arrange with you later :)

Thanks Cedric :)

All the frags that I got from you are superglued on to the rockscape and settling down with visible polyp extension - hope they encrust sooner rather than later and grow. ^_^

Next targets will be your montis, stylo and that royal blueX2 "stick". B)

What is your KH level?

Hi James, my KH usually stays within 8-10 dkh...although my preference is a constant 8 dkh. After seeing your post, i went to measure my water using salifert, kh as at today is 8dkh ( at sg 1.023) :rolleyes:

Thanks Cedric :)

All the frags that I got from you are superglued on to the rockscape and settling down with visible polyp extension - hope they encrust sooner rather than later and grow. ^_^

Next targets will be your montis, stylo and that royal blueX2 "stick". B)

That's great ! Hope to see your update with your photography skills on those frags growth journey :D

Will keep the RBM for you ^_^

• 4 weeks later...

uncle Cedric, can I just take :

P3 - Chili Red Mille - $38

P7 - Forest Fire Digitata - $28

My wife just loves the redness of these SPS ?

Uncle Frank, Chili Red Mille and Forest Fire Digitata is now available, let me know if you are keen to get it :upsidedown:

Uncle Frank, Chili Red Mille and Forest Fire Digitata is now available, let me know if you are keen to get it :upsidedown:

wow, you remembered a month+ long request! :thumbsup:

Btw, the RBM I got from you has its polyps out in full glory - very healthy piece!