Clam Hitch Hikers

anonymous2294

I purchased my LR about 7 months back and clearly remembered that there were no clams on it. A few days back when doing a rescaping, i found 2 clams (the la-la we eat at seafood restaurants) which are about 3cm in width. They were attached strongly to the rocks. Are these clams harmful to the tank?

Regards,

Anonymous2294

• SRC Member

Clams are filter feeders. They actually help clean your water of particulate matter. From that point of view, they are beneficial.

On the other hand, they may clog up your pipework if they find it to be a good home. From this perspective, they can be harmful.

So as long as they don't restrict your waterflow, they are good.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

Clams are filter feeders. They actually help clean your water of particulate matter. From that point of view, they are beneficial.

On the other hand, they may clog up your pipework if they find it to be a good home. From this perspective, they can be harmful.

So as long as they don't restrict your waterflow, they are good.

Hi. Thanks. Currently, the two clams reattached themselves back onto the rocks. They seem to post no threat at the moment:D

Regards,

Anonymous2294