Hermit Crab with Boxer Shrimp

anonymous2294

I have been trying to find out whether hermit crabs can be kept with boxer shrimp but to no avail. Decommed my 8 gallon recently but my mangrove pond still continues. I have one boxer shrimp in the pond but am thinking of putting a few hermits inside also. Does anyone have experiences with this combination? Also, where can i buy hermits, the price and what food do they eat?

Regards,

Anonymous2294

• SRC Member

no problem for me

used to have 1 coral banded shrimp and 1 blue-legged hermit and one cheapo beach hermit

then let go the bigger coral banded and now have tiny purple coral banded shrimp

so far no issue

coral banded shrimp can run and swim much faster than the hermit ... hermit cannot swim :lol:

but I suspect blue-legged hermit may kill asrea or turbo snails

• Like 1

no problem for me

used to have 1 coral banded shrimp and 1 blue-legged hermit and one cheapo beach hermit

then let go the bigger coral banded and now have tiny purple coral banded shrimp

so far no issue

coral banded shrimp can run and swim much faster than the hermit ... hermit cannot swim :lol:

but I suspect blue-legged hermit may kill asrea or turbo snails

Hahas. Thanks for sharing. Btw, what do you feed your hermit with?

Regards,

Anonymous2294

• SRC Member

Hahas. Thanks for sharing. Btw, what do you feed your hermit with?

Regards,

Anonymous2294

if the hermit is in main tank ... it can eat all the unwanted alage

that's why I didnt purposely feed it

i target feed my fish also try not to have the pellet drop to sandbed

so the hermit no choice have to go for alage else if it hook to pellet it will not work for you.

if the hermit is in main tank ... it can eat all the unwanted alage

that's why I didnt purposely feed it

i target feed my fish also try not to have the pellet drop to sandbed

so the hermit no choice have to go for alage else if it hook to pellet it will not work for you.

Great. Thanks:D

Regards,

Anonymous2294

• 2 weeks later...

I have been trying to find out whether hermit crabs can be kept with boxer shrimp but to no avail. Decommed my 8 gallon recently but my mangrove pond still continues. I have one boxer shrimp in the pond but am thinking of putting a few hermits inside also. Does anyone have experiences with this combination? Also, where can i buy hermits, the price and what food do they eat?

Regards,

Anonymous2294

I had just added 2 hermit crabs to my tank with 1 boxer shrimp. I read that boxer shrimp might be aggressive to the hermits but so far no aggression show yet.

Hermits might dispose the turbo snail for the shell as i had read. I guess the solution is to find bigger empty shell for them to host in.

Anyone had idea as to where to get those shell?

• SRC Member

I had just added 2 hermit crabs to my tank with 1 boxer shrimp. I read that boxer shrimp might be aggressive to the hermits but so far no aggression show yet.

Hermits might dispose the turbo snail for the shell as i had read. I guess the solution is to find bigger empty shell for them to host in.

Anyone had idea as to where to get those shell?

can get the shell from mainland at pasir ris .... $3 per pack

• 1 month later...

can get the shell from mainland at pasir ris .... $3 per pack

Where is this Mainland at pasir ris exact location?

Anyway, one of my hermit killed my snail and took over it's shell. But it changed back to it's own again after 2 days. Think too big for him to move ard.