Hon Kit's Reef Tank

honkit

Bro honkit, juz to confirm.

You have total 2 fishes in ya tank which is yellow tang n mystery wrasse?

What's ya feeding regimen?

Actually, I have 6 fishes :) Some of them were camera shy I guess.

I also have an Achilles Tang, an african flameback angelfish, 2 true percula clownfishes and 1 black ocellaris clownfish.

I feed 3-4 times per day with New Life Spectrum pellets and Ocean Nutrition Formula 2 pellets. I put nori on a feeding clip a few times per week for the tangs.

I also feed my corals with Fauna Marin and Zeovit products.

Bro very beautiful tank, thumb up. =)

Btw for the valida, u know what is the reason why only the tip is coloured? I am facing the same problem for my valida also. I read on the net, it said the PO4 is high, but yours is ultra low nutrient should not be this problem. Got any insight on what happen and how to colour the whole piece.

Thanks! :)

For Fiji tricolour validas, I think it's best if one buys it when the branches are white and not brownish. I bought mine from a shipment when there was a 24 hour delay in shipping and this specimen was stressed and had some browning on its branches. I took a chance with it but on hindsight, I guess I should have waited for another shipment and bought a more pristine specimen.

The brown colouration in this colony's branches is slowly lightening (a good sign!) as it continues to grow and the blue colouration at the tips are inching downwards.

I find Fiji sps corals take a long time (and some may not do so) to revert to their original colours so a lot of patience is needed. It also depends on species - the Fiji validas are amongst the most challenging ones to keep its colouration whilst I have had no problem in keeping the A.sameonsis, s.hystrix, a.sarmentosa and p.eydouxi specimens in my tank to maintain its colours.

I am now trying two difficult species i.e. Acropora abrotanoids and Acropora Hoeksemai of which I have posted pics of. I also have another A.Hoeksemai frag from Cedric that has kept its bright blue colour albeit growing very slowly after a short spurt.

Lovely tank, Honkit.

In my opinion,SSC is one of the most unforgiving sps for reefers.

I have one that turned better, than became worse, and now becomes a dull brown sps, with very little PE.

Wonder how it will turn out in your tank ?

I have some way to be near your standard. Thats good because I can only improve.

Cheers,

mike

Lovely tank, Honkit.

In my opinion,SSC is one of the most unforgiving sps for reefers.

I have one that turned better, than became worse, and now becomes a dull brown sps, with very little PE.

Wonder how it will turn out in your tank ?

I have some way to be near your standard. Thats good because I can only improve.

Cheers,

mike

Thanks Mike. I have heard nothing but very good compliments regarding your SPS dominated tank :)

I have 2 SSC frags, one of which is growing and exhibits pink and green colouration (albeit pastel) and the other is growing (very slowly!) but still light brown. Both have good polyp extension though especially the pink-and-green one.

On a side note, blues, yellows and pinks hold well but purples and some of the greens tend to fade to pastel colouration in my tank.

Fortunately, the orange montipora setosa (my favourite SPS) which I got from Cedric has been growing and encrusting since Dec 2011 and maintaining its bright orange colouration. You can spot it at the lower left side of my FTS photo which partially obscured by a blue monti digitata.

Montipora danae. Has this fella for 8 months and it has grown by more than 50% of its original size but the polyp extension is quite extensive and covers up the nice blue colouration of the base body which is rather unfortunate. :(

monti-danae.jpg

• 3 weeks later...