any way to balance flowrate

lightningstrike

Yes its work very fine for me. After install the pipe, try to on & Off ur return pump to make sure the pipe work well. & make sure ur sump can support the 1" water from ur main tank. I will try to post the real pic. this is another diagram to make thing more clear. Hope will help.

Btw, Make sure the water is not overflow down from ur return pump pipe too.

Hi,

Can you please explain more detail or with pic wat do u means the sump can support the 1" main tank? Thanks

Hi,

Can you please explain more detail or with pic wat do u means the sump can support the 1" main tank? Thanks

See the previous diagram. Pump stop & running. The main tank water had a tolerence of 1" water lever. The sump must in proper size to support the 1" water lever in ur main tank. :whistle For example 1" of 48(L) x 18(w) x 1" = 14 little of water. That means ur sump must have extra space after pump off to support the 14l water from ur main tank. If not!!!! :evil: My Malaysia english hard to understand hor??? :paiseh:

Diagram ah??? :yeah: Shown how the initial setup.

post-7-1075134647.jpg

See the previous diagram. Pump stop & running. The main tank water had a tolerence of 1" water lever. The sump must in proper size to support the 1" water lever in ur main tank. :whistle For example 1" of 48(L) x 18(w) x 1" = 14 little of water. That means ur sump must have extra space after pump off to support the 14l water from ur main tank. If not!!!! :evil: My Malaysia english hard to understand hor??? :paiseh:

Diagram ah??? :yeah: Shown how the initial setup.

Hi

Trymybest,

Thanks :thanks: But how you derived the 1" tolerance as from ur example? Anyway u have done a good work. Bravo!

hi sunny03,

my ball valve is at the pipeline from the main tank to the ref. like i said, i hv a variable flowrate control at the pump. so no logic putting the ball valve at the pipeline returning water to the main tank.

Hi Lightingstrike,

May I know where do you get the ball valve? Aquarium shop or plummer shop? Roughly how much?

Thanks!

Items left...

Ehliem Wet & Dry 2223

Prizm protein skimmer

Coralife UV

Resun 650 chiller

Giving up hobby, due to family commitment.

strange as to how the S-pipe works for u, as i hv tried it b4 but alas to no success. would be interesting to find out where i hv gone wrong....... followed everything exactly to the diagrams given here....... puzzled!!!

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

Hi again guys....

I did some modification to the TRYMYBEST diagram hope u all can visualize it...sorry for the bad diagram..hehehe I just add a cup-like inside the tank instead of having the tube pointing downwards I extend it and have it pointed upward...and walah!!....it works too..the best part water level control came from the cup open gap for water flow so more water can be drawn from the main tank by the gravity.... just my 1 cent opinion....I can't explain how but to make it simple in balancing the amount of water flow into the sump.. this is what I do....

a) First do not let the water pumped outlet by PH dip into the tank - tilt it so even when power failure the retraction of water into the sump is minimum or shorten it and make it as same level with the gap from the cup-like return sump.

B) Measure ur sump how much of water can it take - get a pail and pour water into it 3/4 level ( take note : the return pipe and the PH is of different size - return pipe must be slightly bigger) Also the PH pipe must have a control valve for fine adjustment later.

c) Return Cup-like pipe gap must be of to the same level as in the tank water level - so the moment water start to pump in from the sump the water will automatically flows back into the sump - just monitor and adjust the valve there and then..hehehe (p.s I'm using my old Atman 1600 for my PH)

Aiyo...cannot attach the picture lei.........grrrrr

Hi again guys....

I did some modification to the TRYMYBEST diagram hope u all can visualize it...sorry for the bad diagram..hehehe I just add a cup-like inside the tank instead of having the tube pointing downwards I extend it and have it pointed upward...and walah!!....it works too..the best part water level control came from the cup open gap for water flow so more water can be drawn from the main tank by the gravity.... just my 1 cent opinion....I can't explain how but to make it simple in balancing the amount of water flow into the sump.. this is what I do....

a) First do not let the water pumped outlet by PH dip into the tank - tilt it so even when power failure the retraction of water into the sump is minimum or shorten it and make it as same level with the gap from the cup-like return sump.

B) Measure ur sump how much of water can it take - get a pail and pour water into it 3/4 level ( take note : the return pipe and the PH is of different size - return pipe must be slightly bigger) Also the PH pipe must have a control valve for fine adjustment later.

c) Return Cup-like pipe gap must be of to the same level as in the tank water level - so the moment water start to pump in from the sump the water will automatically flows back into the sump - just monitor and adjust the valve there and then..hehehe (p.s I'm using my old Atman 1600 for my PH)

Aiyo...cannot attach the picture lei.........grrrrr

Hi

Midman,

where is ur diagram? :cry2:

• SRC Member
Bro,

Sorry lah, too anxious. hehe :D

Ok no problemo :angel: ...........so I'm homed now :look: .....let see if I can have the diagram paste here or else..u all have to download oledi..hehehe :D

:bow::lol:B) hmmm....can't even copy....guess u all have to download oledi....good luck.

Complete_Diagram_On_DIY_Overflow_System.doc

• SRC Member

But please don't ask me how to calculate in getting the equal balance......mine just adjust slowly till u get the right amount of water to and fro.....hehehe....again ........good luck.

Ok no problemo :angel: ...........so I'm homed now :look: .....let see if I can have the diagram paste here or else..u all have to download oledi..hehehe :D

:bow::lol:B) hmmm....can't even copy....guess u all have to download oledi....good luck.

Wow

Midman,

U have a nice and clear diagram. Thanks alot. Just to ask a few question:

1) Does ur main tank ever have water evaporate? if yes, will the water level goes below the cup overflow level and wat will happen, have u check b4?

2) So far have u tried with power cut off for more than few hours to check whether it will restart once power resume?

Bro, well done. really impress me. :thanks:

• SRC Member
Wow

Midman,

U have a nice and clear diagram. Thanks alot. Just to ask a few question:

1) Does ur main tank ever have water evaporate? if yes, will the water level goes below the cup overflow level and wat will happen, have u check b4?

2) So far have u tried with power cut off for more than few hours to check whether it will restart once power resume?

Bro, well done. really impress me. :thanks:

Hi Charlie...... this is my true encounter

a) Yes it does evaporate or maybe due to the filtering some water might be trapped but very minimal. IMHO :bow: ..It also depends on your lighting and water temperature. ;)

Water level might slack down but it will come to halt right after it touches the cup-like gap level - means water will stop from flowing into the sump and your sump will dry. My advise mark the water level when you first start so that u will know when to top up into the sump. Keep monitor it and soon you will be able to gauge how often u need to top-up cos it varies to few contribution factors include ur tank placement too....hahaha :heh::upsidedown::whistle

B) I did try to simulate power failure too and it works. :D:eyebrow:

what happen is that once there is power failure the PH will stop pumping and the remaining water in tube A will flow back in the sump likewise the excess water(until to the gap level) will flows back into the sump too...For this u have to ensure that ur sump is enuf to accomodate the return flow of the water from the main tank thru tube B. It will never overspill if u do it correctly.......my assurance (at least) unless there is a leakage in ur tubing....haahahaa

Once power resume the water in the sump will be pumped up and the cycle will start by itself again.......one thing for sure it works for me and it has been running since. :eyebrow:

The credit should got to TRYMYBEST for his wonderful initial idea.....

I just enhance it to suit my needs.... as for u guys the risk is yours to take :eyebrow: cheers :look::whistle

Midman, U have a very Swee diagram. :D

The picture below show the overflow compartment before the "S" pipe. Like Matt06 said no need to worry about water "inbalance" in the main tank water lever. :yeah:

Alamak,

Trymybest,

I thought the story has already ended with Happy Ending?, Why is it that u still pose the pic again? U make me wants to question u again is it?hehe :D Why is it that I don't see any water sip into the overflow compartment? and seem like u have put something inside the compartment can I know wat is it? :P Btw thanks for prompt answers that u have given me recently.

• SRC Member
Alamak,

Trymybest,

I thought the story has already ended with Happy Ending?, Why is it that u still pose the pic again? U make me wants to question u again is it?hehe :D Why is it that I don't see any water sip into the overflow compartment? and seem like u have put something inside the compartment can I know wat is it? :P Btw thanks for prompt answers that u have given me recently.

Good stuff never lie.....hahahaa.....return of the two tower part 2 i guess...kehkeh :lol:;):eyebrow:

Alamak,

Trymybest,

:D Actually my main tank previously running Internal overflow System. Later I convert to using sump. :idea: So my main tank having a 3 compartment filter. I think u still can see the water overflow in the 1st compartment on the right of that pic. :rolleyes:

Those are usual biomedia like bioball. :P