Silversides!!!! Where are you????

Slayer213

Hi fellow reefers, i recently setup a lionfish tank and got myself a juve volita lion. I got a very hard time weaning it to frozen.... Tried chopped clams, tamban, prawn, whitebait, recently deceased ghost shrimp, hikari mysis, pe mysis, pellets... To no avil... So far its be a week, i only managed to force him to eat twi pieces of squid. By force, means i had to wriggle the squid right in its face for a good twenty mins then he will relictantly chomp it down and thats two out of planty attemps... Most of the time he will get very excited when i lower and wriggle my clear feeding stick with food, after examing it for 30 secs... Turn and swim away... Im really getting very frustrated and disheartened... But, no giving up... Due to religious reasons i cant feed him live food. Base on countless articles i read on the net, some succeeded using silverside, but thats in US... I cant seems to find any fresh little salwater fish, be it silversides or anchovies or ikan bilis.... Anyone ever come across any?? Fresh or frozen?? And not dried ikan bilis.... Or if u have any tips on weaning lions....PLEASE ADVISE!!! Thanks alot bros....

Buy fish that excite YOU, and respect others' passions.

Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one were talking about. - John Coppolino

Starve the fish & it will eat anything. Lionfishes are not very active fish and do not need to be fed every day. 1-2 decent sized meals a week is sufficient. Daily feeding can do the fish more harm than good.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

Bro, don't worry too much. Most people use silversides bcos it the most easiest to prepare.

Just cut your prawn or squid into long thin slices will do.

Like wat bro FuEl said, just starve and feed. So long you don't release into main tank. Should be able to get it feeding.

I only failed to wean 1 volitan lion based on my 4~5 attempts.

Thanks alot bros.... Will try to wean it by hook or by crook! Anyway, wich supermarket carry silversides? I try ntuc and shop and save and carrefour... Dun have. Good to add another variety...

Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one were talking about. - John Coppolino

• SRC Member

Thanks alot bros.... Will try to wean it by hook or by crook! Anyway, wich supermarket carry silversides? I try ntuc and shop and save and carrefour... Dun have. Good to add another variety...

maybe the demand is not there around ur area btw i stayed in the west and i get my stock once a blue moon frm ntuc finest at bt timah plaza

Went to century square tampines fairprice finest... Dun have there...

• SRC Member

Will silverfish work? It is much more easy to get... If not go to beaches during low tide to look for small shrimps and fishes in those pools

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

I cant feed live fish... Catching them and feed... Hmmm... Quite the same... I need frozen ones and it will be easier to buy rather than catching them... I might try giant... Anyone actually seen it? Thanks fellas

• 3 weeks later...

Silverfish as in whitebait? Those use to make omelette? They are not interested at all... Anyone actually see the actuall siverside being sold??!!? Damn.... So hard to find them...