Sea water to kick start a tank

• SRC Member

Hi,

Both nsw or saltmix can be used to kick start new tank.

Personally for convenience and energy saving,

I prefer to start off with nsw.

Then after finish cycling, I change abt 30% of the water depending how big is your tank, with saltmix..

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

(-_-) Happy will do ... (o_o)

yes, is convenient, just learn my mistake, i do it for my 4ft last month, with NSW, and do a water parameter check, the MG was depleting real fast and I have to do a WC 30%.

Now the water parameter was more or less stable. Cos you need to make MG stable before adding any CA or KH. monitoring MG these few days. If your tank is small advise to use salt mix in the first place

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the helpful info. I was going to Iwarna this weekend to pick up live rock and NSW. But... I wonder if a taxi will let me take home 130 liters of NSW? Or will I buy it and then get stuck??? I figure I can put the LR in the backseat with me on the floor and the 130 liters in the boot.

** Coming Soon ** 4x2x2 from Oceansing

1) Red Sea Max 130D

Stunner LED strip 24v 453nm Actinic Blue

2) 130liter nano from Pasir Ris... generic, but fun!

3) 300mm cube tank
Ecoxotic Par 38 tri-colour, PAR38 Aquarium LED 6-453nm Blue 4-6500k 2-Red
Eheim-Compact 600 Return Pump

• SRC Member

I got this information online:

To get an exact answer, you must know the percent composition of the salt water, or the ratio of salt to water. Roughly, salt water weighs 64 lbs/cu. ft., as opposed to fresh water, which is about 62.2 lbs/cu. ft. There are 7.4805 gallons in a cubic foot. So a gallon of salt water weighs 8.556 lbs. And 1 gallon = 3.7854 liters

So 130 litre is roughly 34.3 gallons which translate to 293.83 lbs which is around 133 KGs.

So can explain to the taxi driver is like 2 more persons in the taxi? hehehe... but of course I guess he will be more concerned whether your water is properly secured...surely dont want to spill the water into his taxi as he make quick turns...haha

Regards,
Jeff

Aquarium: 48" x 18" x 24" tank with 24" x 15" x 15" sump (approx. 150 gallons)
Equipment: Maxspect Razor 320W, Vortech MP40, Vertex Omega 180i, Eheim 1262 return pump, Hailea HS 66A, Bacteria King
Fish and coral food: Henry's Reefgourmet pellets, Preis coral energizer, Kent Marine PhytoPlex, Brightwell Reef Snow, Two-Little Fishies Marine Snow
Dosage: Triton Elements

IMG_0562small.jpg

Just get Iwarna to deliver, by the time you pay taxi and water probably same for them to do it and save you so much work lugging the bags. I have Iwarna come do water change every three weeks, get them to bring a few extra bags for me to do small change every week works out great

• 3 weeks later...

Just get Iwarna to deliver, by the time you pay taxi and water probably same for them to do it and save you so much work lugging the bags. I have Iwarna come do water change every three weeks, get them to bring a few extra bags for me to do small change every week works out great

How much are you paying Iwarna for the water change every three weeks?