Iceprobe Nano Chiller

moscowites

Ice Probe works on the Peltier effect. The Peltier effect is named after Jean Charles Peltier (1785-1845) who first observed it in 1834 however it does not have much practical usage until the dissimilar metal devises are replaced with semi-conductors.

How this work on the Ice Probe is the Peltier effect sucks the heat to one end (Fish Tank), the conductivity of the metal tries to draw the heat back toward the cool end (Heat Sink). Sometimes a fan is attached to the heat sink to assist in dissipating the heat of the fish tank.

Thermoelectric cooling is often used when we need a solid state devise without moving parts in a small package. It is widely used in small refrigerators in hotel rooms and also small wine cellars.

Thermoelectric cooling is not very efficient (10% efficiency ) compared to normal refrigeration (40-60% efficiency).

Also, many have found that they are not as efficient to cool a fish tank especially in a tropical climate such as Singapore. This is because our fish tanks are not insulated compared to a fridge or cellar and therefore, these coolers will have to be on overdrive to keep the temperature we desire. With our room average temperature of 28 degrees, it is difficult to keep the fish tank at 26 degrees taking into considerations of heat generated from pumps and lights.

If you desire to keep your tank at below 28 degrees, you will fair better with a good chiller. You can always get a brand new China chiller at a affordable price or look out for 2nd hand well proved chiller such as Teco or Artica.

Hope that helps.

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

Hi bros! Am interested in getting an Iceprobe chiller for my 20 gallon tank. Would it be efficient enough or can I just make do with a couple of fans. Please advise.

I using it for my 1.5 ft tank

With two pumps and led light

Temp around 28-28.5

• SRC Member

Oops sorry, 2 feet cube?

I think it is better for you to get a chiller for long term use.

For example 1/10 Arctica chiller.

I am using those elongated fan on my 1.2 x 1 ft tank; and the temp has been maintaining around 27-28 degree Celsius.

(-_-) Happy will do ... (o_o)

• SRC Member

It depends on what type of fan you are using. ^_^

I used to use a Sunon fan to cool a 2 x 2 x 1 tank with sump around 27oC. Lights were 6 tubes T5s, but set almost 1.5 ft above the tank.

As mentioned above, evaporation is a killer.

I have one in my IQ3 fresh water tank.

It depends on what type of fan you are using. ^_^

I used to use a Sunon fan to cool a 2 x 2 x 1 tank with sump around 27oC. Lights were 6 tubes T5s, but set almost 1.5 ft above the tank.

As mentioned above, evaporation is a killer.

Hi bro, thanks for the advice. My tank is a 2 x 1.5 x 1.75 feet. I cannot use a chiller because I have no sump. The next best option would be to use a fan. Currently, temperature in my tank doesn't exceed 29 deg. It always hangs around 28.2 - 28.4 degrees. I know it's a bit too warm so ya.. I should get a fan. Where did you get your fan from?