need help

• SRC Member

erm can anyone tell me if lots of live rocks will cause dead spots in the deep sand bed ? ( this is because from what i read up in plenum system it is not advised to have lot's of life rocks which will reduce diffusion of gases n water into the sand causing a dead spot) will this problem occur in a DSB ?

erm can anyone tell me if lots of live rocks will cause dead spots in the deep sand bed ? ( this is because from what i read up in plenum system it is not advised to have lot's of life rocks which will reduce diffusion of gases n water into the sand causing a dead spot) will this problem occur in a DSB ?

A Plenum and DSB is the same except for that layer of space at the bottom of a plenum. Both require a certain thickness of appropriately sized sand particles to allow aerobic and anaerobic zones for the right kind of bacterial populations to grow and help process ammonia, nitrites & nitrates to harmless nitrogen gas.

If you cover every single top surface of your sandbed with LR, you will affect the diffusion of water through the DSB or plenum sandbed.

For a DSB/Plenum to function very well, it is recommended to have as much surface area uncovered as possible. That is why I have reef racks built so that very little base LRs will sit on the sand (and also save $$ from having to buy big heavy base LR).

For a DSB/Plenum to function very well, it is recommended to have as much surface area uncovered as possible. That is why I have reef racks built so that very little base LRs will sit on the sand

HI AT,

I'm new here so correct me if I'm wrong.

Would it mean that if I were to make a 4"DSB, I would need to stack 4" or 5" of egg crates, fill in the sand and sit the LR on the egg crates?

Thanks.

• SRC Member
okok i am sure u all would like this pic ..... haha pretty girl hor she is like a copper brabd butterfly ... please answer my question.. i have been thinking about it for the whole of last night

ashidiq,

iz tat avatar pic u???

now iz my desktop wall paper liao... hehehe

HI AT,

I'm new here so correct me if I'm wrong.

Would it mean that if I were to make a 4"DSB, I would need to stack 4" or 5" of egg crates, fill in the sand and sit the LR on the egg crates?

Thanks.

:blink::blink::blink:

An eggcrate DSB???

No... why would you do that???

An eggcrate DSB???

No... why would you do that???

Sorry my mistake ...at least I've one less doubt...

Could you explain to me then what you meant by...

"That is why I have reef racks built so that very little base LRs will sit on the sand"

My impression was you would use a material to support the LRs so that it doesn't rest squarely on the sand.

Hope you are having a good day? Thanks in advance.

• SRC Member
haha...erm this girl is not a actor or wat she is a true singaporean.... pretty hor... she is a copper brand butterfly... keke :lol:

ashidiq,

so who'z she??? some1 u knoe??? intro leh??? mayb can swoop wif u my coralz??? hahaha :D

• SRC Member

Sorry my mistake ...at least I've one less doubt...

Could you explain to me then what you meant by...

"That is why I have reef racks built so that very little base LRs will sit on the sand"

My impression was you would use a material to support the LRs so that it doesn't rest squarely on the sand.

Hope you are having a good day? Thanks in advance.

SeaAngel,

Reef rack is something whereby you sit your LRs on... thus creating space between the LRs and your DSB.... you should be able to make one out of pvc pipes... this is quite common as not only can you raise the level of your rockwork and thus saving the money needed to purchase big boulder LRs to serve as your baserock...

Bro ashidiq...

i have :evil: thoughts on your gal avatar liao... your frenz or some pic you found on the net.... care to intro.... :angel: been dreaming of her the whole afternoon.... :lol::lol::lol: Aaaawwwwww-ooohhhhhhhhh....... Wait till bro bwilly comes in here and see.... :P

Reef rack is something whereby you sit your LRs on... thus creating space between the LRs and your DSB.... you should be able to make one out of pvc pipes... this is quite common as not only can you raise the level of your rockwork and thus saving the money needed to purchase big boulder LRs to serve as your baserock...

Benz,

Thanks.

Just one more doubt.... Do I place the pvc on the glass base of the tank and build to required height or on the DSB after I put the sand in??

Sorry to trouble you again.

• SRC Member

erm can i do the reef racks with eggcrates ? erm can anyone show me a picture how it looks like... sorry to trouble... ( hmm every since i change my avater i can have my Qns answer quickly so nice... haha... btw i know her she has a webbie...

• SRC Member

hey bro... no worries... let me try and explain it further... the reef rack is to rest on your sandbed... unless you wanna built it so hight that it can reach your tank bottom.... normally its on the sand bed.... the reef rack is basically like any racks.. just that it is in plastic material.... and then you just stack your rocks on them.. one after another.... ;)

• SRC Member
erm can i do the reef racks with eggcrates ? erm can anyone show me a picture how it looks like... sorry to trouble... ( hmm every since i change my avater i can have my Qns answer quickly so nice... haha... btw i know her she has a webbie...

:evil::evil: pass me her contacts and then i draw one for you to see.... :lol::lol::lol:

dont have to do it here... can just pm me hor.... :P

hey bro... no worries... let me try and explain it further... the reef rack is to rest on your sandbed... unless you wanna built it so hight that it can reach your tank bottom.... normally its on the sand bed.... the reef rack is basically like any racks.. just that it is in plastic material.... and then you just stack your rocks on them.. one after another.... ;)

Thanks. Understood.

:):)