Small Pipefish in LFS?

arcanehacker

• SRC Member

Recently bought a pair of Banded pipefish. Really intrigued by the way they swim in pairs.. :D .. anybody knows where I can find other species of pipefish? .. :)

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member
Hi, I am also looking for pipefish to accompany my SH.

Can share where you got yours and how much each ? PM me is fine.

I got mine at $5 each at the smaller FS in Yishun. There's still one more left. Was tempted to buy all three... :lol: .

I saw some at the other FS at Yishun too (the bigger shop near NTUC building). But they have the Alligator pipefish which is quite huge. I'm looking for smaller species :P. I guess you could buy those to accompany your seahorses. Since they like to hook on them.. :rolleyes:

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

• SRC Member

Hi arcanehacker,

I think the best place to get different pipefish is from Reborn. Sometimes, pac marine do come in some nice pipes like multi banded pipefish. Go to Paradiz Reef, they have very good supplier. Reefworld dun have them now due to monsoon season.

U will be able to find more after the monsoon.

I am now waiting to get more blue-strip pipefishes. Click on "My Seahorse tank" below, u will see my blue strip on the second page of the thread.

I still see ard 4 pieces of banded pipefish & 1 janss pipefish at Reborn last wk. The rest are alligator pipefishes.

Cheers!

Wei :)

• SRC Member
Hi arcanehacker,

I think the best place to get different pipefish is from Reborn. Sometimes, pac marine do come in some nice pipes like multi banded pipefish. Go to Paradiz Reef, they have very good supplier. Reefworld dun have them now due to monsoon season.

U will be able to find more after the monsoon.

I am now waiting to get more blue-strip pipefishes. Click on "My Seahorse tank" below, u will see my blue strip on the second page of the thread.

I still see ard 4 pieces of banded pipefish & 1 janss pipefish at Reborn last wk. The rest are alligator pipefishes.

Cheers!

but how are reborn fishes? that place looks cramp and warm.. how will the fishes fair compared to other FSs?

• SRC Member

Although I must said Reborn fishes are not in really good shape, they are still worth considering.

The most important is yr system must be stable & gd. The pipes will thank u for getting them out of the place!!

• SRC Member
Although I must said Reborn fishes are not in really good shape, they are still worth considering.

The most important is yr system must be stable & gd. The pipes will thank u for getting them out of the place!!

hehe .. but I think I didn't see any pipes when I was there on Friday. :(

• SRC Member
Jann's pipefish..males have small ridges and some red coloration on their snout...females lack these.

Never get 2 males..you will only end up with 1.

thank's for the advise.. didn't know Jann's are so hostile.. my banded are really living happily together.. :D

• SRC Member

For most pipefishes, the males cannot tolerate each other. Its not just the jann's, same for blue strip, multi banded. They will fight until theres only 1 male left.

Different species do not disturb each other.

Cheers!

• SRC Member

Thanks Wei.

Seen your link to your SH photos. Very nice. Notice you only put in LR for them to cling to, no long grass. Will they get hurt against the LR ?

Have you finish the SH husbandry writeup ? Appreciate if you can PM me when you done with. Need lots of guidiance on keeping SH. Which more hardy spieces would you recommend to start with ?

Many thanks.

• SRC Member

Hi Nickel, Ime i will start wif Barbouri or kuda, these 2 learn to eat frozen very fast! some eat frozen the first day!

Hi Hi weileong, i prefer to use 2 x 36watts pl, but will be quite hot! i'm currently using 3x 39 watts T5, my grapes growing very nicely and the lighting isn't tat 2 bright for SH, not tat hot 2! :D

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!