SPS and Tunze 6060

Just want the experts comments on SPS........if I have the tunze 6060 blowing at them directly at a distance of about 15 cm away... is that too strong and will result in RTN????

So far, I have placed a couple of my sps very near to my MH with the tunze blowing at them, lime green polyps extending well ......should I shift the direction of the tunze away from them??

I have seen a couple of exp. sps reefer do that . So I am not sure.... :lol::lol:

appreciate some help... :lol::lol:

Just want the experts comments on SPS........if I have the tunze 6060 blowing at them directly at a distance of about 15 cm away... is that too strong and will result in RTN????

So far, I have placed a couple of my sps very near to my MH with the tunze blowing at them, lime green polyps extending well ......should I shift the direction of the tunze away from them??

I have seen a couple of exp. sps reefer do that . So I am not sure.... :lol::lol:

appreciate some help... :lol::lol:

SPS do love strongcurrent but that should be indirect.... IMO direct and close blowing iof tunze will most likely result in rtning of your sps. keke i have been there done that, i am sure many sps reefers does.

Better not to have your tunze direct blowing at them....unless they are about 30cm or more away. Too strong a flow will blow away the tissue and you will have white skeleton.

You can direct the tunze at the glass to reduce the force.

but my sps has been there for a few days and no sign of stress, no rtn as well....measured distance again, its about 20 plus cm away , tunze blowing at an angle...

if I shift the direction a bit, the flow seems to miss the sps totally...wondering I should do any drastic adjustment or leave it be since they are doing well.... :huh::huh:

this is a closeup of the pale yellow sps I bought....its not brown...polyps are extending for the last few days..no sign of stress under the tunze flow....

(sorry, pics a bit off ...using digital cam, coloration not gd)

post-22-1074614922.jpg

• SRC Member

Looks OK from the pic. As Morgan said, about 30cm or more is a safe distance. Distance can be less if flow is indirect.

Observe the polyps... if they are slanted to one side all the time or the polyps do not extend, then it's probably too close. My advice would be to just monitor it closely. :)

Welcome to the land of SPS Deepblue! :D

I am just trying....told AT the same thing.....I am learning...what best to have than having 1 or 2, put in time and effort ($$$) into it first......not going to waste time and kill corals...so taking this seriously and asking experts for advice...

thinking of getting a calcium reactor this few days as well...either tomorrow or next week......

(read phang's thread on husbandry of sps and loooked at the strong recommendation of a ca reactor.....must find place to put beside my kalk reactor liaoz..... :lol::lol::lol:

I have a baby blue staghorn that has its tissue on one tip blown off because it is 23cm directly in front of my 6080 stream.

I also have a brown staghorn with blue tips that has the tissue blown off two tips and that is 43cm away.

I do miss my Reeftec as the cone is a lot wider than the Stream... so the pressure wave is a lot of diffused. :(

That's the bad thing about Streams/Reeftecs... they take up a lot of space and you can't place anything directly in front of it. Maybe if the sps is corymbose like humilis or gemmifera? perhaps...?

• SRC Member
I am just trying....told AT the same thing.....I am learning...what best to have than having 1 or 2, put in time and effort ($$$) into it first......not going to waste time and kill corals...so taking this seriously and asking experts for advice...

thinking of getting a calcium reactor this few days as well...either tomorrow or next week......

(read phang's thread on husbandry of sps and loooked at the strong recommendation of a ca reactor.....must find place to put beside my kalk reactor liaoz..... :lol::lol::lol:

Which CA reactor are you looking at may i ask?

• SRC Member

Hi guys.. just adding some of my experience that i have and share around... for acro... they need high density of lights as well as current but direct blowing of current would some how kill the coral unless they are place in certain distant away from the pump which in terms depend on how strong is the output of the pump alternating current or turbulence seem to do pretty well for acro.. and they grow very fast if the condition is right. Constant maintenance is a must for acro.. cos some of my friends experience bleaching after the coral was kept for years and most of reason lies on lacking of maintaining the tank. Hope this info would be helpful...

Hi hmkui.... welcome to SRC! :)

What you mentioned is true. We have been trying to educate newbies to SPS keeping the very same things.

How long have you kept SPS corals? Like to share some photos? :)

AT

• SRC Member

thks AT... well have been keeping marine fish for 10 yrs... presently have my 5.5ft x 2.5ft x 2ft tank. Will try to upload my tank pic once i get my new digi camera. BTW i m going to try the miracle mud system for my 5.5ft tank and have been doing quite some research on the mud system and so far the response was quite pleasing... will keep u guys updated if it is successful presently restructing my sump tank and boy it is lot of work. Guys if any of u have info on the mud system pls keep me updated. thks