Lighting For SpS

• SRC Member

Im using a 60cm x 12cm x 18cm. Currently using Aquazonic 2 x 24w (actinic blue x Sun White).. intend to start SpS n upgrade my lighting.. Any reccomendations for a budget - to mid class lighting sufficient for sps while not overkilling?

Was thinking of

Beamworks Power LED 1600 (27W)

UP Aquapro LED

Aquazonic 4 x 24W

Dont Need fancy designs, normal designs will do as long as quality lights.

Teh'sTankSetup Decomm on 18/8/2012

Tank: 2x1x1 Rimless Tank (Sumpless)

Lighting: Aquazonic 2x24watts T5 (Actinic x Sun White)

Moonlight: Acardia 1W Led Light (Blue)

Filter: ISTA Max Care Cannister

Skimmer: Bubble Magus E3

Chiller: Resun CL450 (Aquazonic Evo Pump)

Wave: Boyu WM-25

Commissioned 20/9/2012

Tank: 3x2x2.5

Lighting: 250w DeLighting MH/ 2x 39w Delighting Diy T5 ATI Blue Plus

Skimmer: H&S Skimmer Type 110-F2000

Chiller: CL450 (Aquazonic Evo Pump)

Return Pump: Eheim 1260

Reactor: D&D H2Ocean FMR 75 (ADA 1500 Pump)(Rowaphos)

Wavemaker: 2x SunSun Wavemaker (3000L)

Incoming:

Conch ll Basic

ATO System/Tunze Osmolator

Magic Marine 3CH Dosing Pump

Hi bro,

Am using just 4xT5 fixture to light up my SPS tank, color is satisfatory imo. What is more important is the water quality if you intend to keep sps.

Contact DE lightings for a set of 4 tubes or 2x 2tubes ( i recommend ATI tubes ) and you are good to go :)

Treat others the way you wanna be treated...

• SRC Member

aquazonic fixtures add ATI tubes = possible?

Commissioned 20/9/2012

Incoming:

Conch ll Basic

• SRC Member

Hmmm ATI Fixtures Expensive leii.. thinking of getting the E.Shine 60W Cree LED Dimmable.

http://www.eshinesystems.com/aqua/60w-cree-classic-led-aquarium-light.html

Commissioned 20/9/2012

Incoming:

Conch ll Basic

• SRC Member

wow most sps reefers preferred T5 i think.

Commissioned 20/9/2012

Incoming:

Conch ll Basic

• SRC Member

Delightings T5 cheaper than ati fixture, but gd enuff for sps.

LED Lightings should get better quality one else the results might not be gd for sps. Or u can try diy leds :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Personally, I believe the old school method of using metal halide bulbs like a 20kk Radium 400W plus a quality reflector such as a lumenarc is the best lighting option for SPS corals.

Due to utility costs, I use the next best option which is an ATI T5 fixture.

Personally, I believe the old school method of using metal halide bulbs like a 20kk Radium 400W plus a quality reflector such as a lumenarc is the best lighting option for SPS corals.

Due to utility costs, I use the next best option which is an ATI T5 fixture.

Refer to bro Honkit's tank thread and you can see what he means...the sps color is one word --- GOOD !

• SRC Member

I saw them.. nice..

DE Lightings T5 fixtures seems reasonable.

got so many lightings now in the market.. no idea which one to get..

The ones that catches my eyes

Mazarra R420R

Pharos LED

Pharos LED is dimmable and also have a controller...

Commissioned 20/9/2012

Incoming:

Conch ll Basic

Regardless of which type of lighting one eventually chooses, you need to consider factors such as running costs (power, bulb replacement, cooling), controlability and expected life of the fixture. Budget may play a role, but, in most cases we are talking about an important piece of equipment that should have a lifespan and flexibility fitting our needs for the projected time period. Personally, I want to get about 10 years use out of a fixture, if I'm going to invest in it. For the stability of my reef, a cheap, uncontrollable and less than reliable fixture is simply not an option. I have corals and fish with a worth many times more than the most expensive fixtures on the market and want to keep them. Along with the filtering system, lighting is an area not to be skimped on. You only end up paying for the mistake, often in less than a year. You know the adage; a cheap tool is an expensive tool.

I have been using LEDs for over 18 months (Vertex Illumina SR260) and would never go back to halides and certainly not T5s (hate the flat, candy-coloured look. The corals look like plastic!). For myself, LEDs are clearly the lighting of the future. Colour developement is excellent, growth rates are strong (for me stronger than halide/T5 combis) and the controlability is superb. Something that has become clear to me over the last 18 months is the effect of a more natural light cycle. We are not just talking spectrum, which does change continuously over a natural reef, but the subtle changes in intensity and light angle that are found in nature. With previous lighting options, attaining control on the is level was simply impossible. A good LED setup allows a much better control and the tank responds to this. With my lighting i can control the colur mix throughout the day, vary the intensity and colour mix over the entire length of the lamp, 'walking' the changes across the pads, thus creating a much more natural lighting scheme. The same for the moonlight. This fine level of control is slowly noted in the developement and activities seen in my reef. Fish notice these changes and synchronise their activities to the changing light patterns. Many animals take their spawning trigger from the light, as well.

In the end, with a good LED fixture, you can create any kind of lighting effect you wish, except one without crinkle effect, but who wants that? (certainly someone, but taste does lie on the tongue) By choosing the right fixture, you can have a completely up-datable piece of equipment that will serve you for many years and allowing you to customise your lighting as you develope through this hobby.

just some thoughts,

Jamie

Jamie Vande

Vertex Aquaristik

Cologne, Germany

http://kolognekoral.blogspot.com/

I have been using LEDs for over 18 months (Vertex Illumina SR260) and would never go back to halides and certainly not T5s (hate the flat, candy-coloured look. The corals look like plastic!).

I find the above statement to be a slight on all the gorgeous T5 lit reef tanks that I have seen in person and online in my years of reefing.

Sps is a wonderful family of marine corals that response, imo quite dynamically to the lightings environment.

Like Honkit, I have seen many jaw dropping tanks ( using T5 and Mh or a combination ) over the last 9 years of reefing but sadly not LEDs lit tank in the local scene still.

Perhaps Jellyfisch ( Jamie ) would help us appreciate more on his strong advocate on 'Good LEDs' lightset with some pictures of his SPS coloration. While the advantages of LEDs interms of energy consumption ( directly or indirectly ) impact to overall marine tank is well know, ultimately it's still the end results i.e. coloration that a reefer is seeking that matters.

Having an open mind to options is always good. As long as it produce the results one is seeking.

Looking forward to Jamie's sharing on the pictures ( if any ) and let us admire on his success in using the LEDs.

• Sponsor

Here is a view of my tank a few months ago, as well as a top-angle shot. This tank is about 11 years old, although I have often completely removed the corals and re-arranged a bit over this period. With LEDs I've experienced the best growth and colour I've ever had, and this consistently.

As you will note, I have changed my sign on, as we are now sponsors of this great forum. Although I am new working together with Vertex, I've been keeping marines for over 40 years (I have stories!). LEDs are truly a paradigm shift in technologies. Unfortunately, as LEDs are not all the same, I feel they have suffered under poorly designed products using inappropriate emmiters, for the marine aquarist. As well as aquarists expecting them to be the same as other lighting systems. Strange, as we do not expect the same from T5s vs Halides, but somehow, LEDs are expected to be magic bullits. They are unbelievable small and bright, making them difficult for many to fathom. How can anything so discrete and unobvious have such a dramatic effect on my aquarium? Just look at the fixture, it's barely 3" high and weighs half as much as others, not to mention I can literally tuck it under my arm and not burn myself. Too good to be true! What, it uses half the energy and lasts 60,000 hours. Must be from Star Trek.

With all the great things LEDs are, we are finding we do need to re-evaluate how we approach lighting for marines. We have learned a great deal about spectrum over the last decade. Stimulating pigment production is coming along well. LEDs are opening more levels of complexity and ease in modeling our aquariums, while allowing us to better simulate the actual conditions found on a reef. Those of us, who have been using LEDs over the last 2 years have noted a very synergetic change in our reefs. I, personally, have not lost a coral to STN since using them. Is it just the more comfortable lighting? Are other parts of the biosphere being supported allowing a more vibrant environment? Something has changed and it is not just low nutrient levels! We are one step closer to our goals.

In any case, enjoy the fotos and do visit us on the Vertex Forum. It's nice to be here.

Jamie

post-21580-0-64700800-1340799667_thumb.j

post-21580-0-23704200-1340799722_thumb.j

Jamie Vande

Vertex Aquaristik

Cologne, Germany

www.vertexaquaristik.com

jamie@vertexaquaristik.de

• SRC Member

Oooo new sponsor thread to lurk.. hahaha

Commissioned 20/9/2012

Incoming:

Conch ll Basic

Unfortunately, as LEDs are not all the same, I feel they have suffered under poorly designed products using inappropriate emmiters, for the marine aquarist. As well as aquarists expecting them to be the same as other lighting systems. Strange, as we do not expect the same from T5s vs Halides, but somehow, LEDs are expected to be magic bullits.

I am sure LEDs have their place in SPS reefkeeping but I personally do not believe that reefers (at least those that I know of) expect LED lighting to be magic bullets. Reefers will always judge lighting systems by the results they obtain and aesthetics (costs aside). Hence, if you believe aquarists to expect or demand similar results from LED lighting vis-a-vis T5s and Halides, that is most certainly the case. Respect should be accorded regardless of lighting choice (and lighting is merely one of several important factors in maintaing a thriving SPS tank) and there is no need for needless and baseless condemnation of any lighting system.

• SRC Member

LED, T5 or MH will be suitable for any SPS as long as you keep only a few fishes and your water quality is excellent. Whatever lighting you use will not be able to sustain an SPS tank if your water quality is not there. The answer is obvious............

• SRC Member

MH the electricity consumption seems jia lat leh... me thinks me go for T5 lah like this..

• Like 1

Commissioned 20/9/2012

Incoming:

Conch ll Basic

• SRC Member

Sps is a wonderful family of marine corals that response, imo quite dynamically to the lightings environment.

Like Honkit, I have seen many jaw dropping tanks ( using T5 and Mh or a combination ) over the last 9 years of reefing but sadly not LEDs lit tank in the local scene still.

Perhaps Jellyfisch ( Jamie ) would help us appreciate more on his strong advocate on 'Good LEDs' lightset with some pictures of his SPS coloration. While the advantages of LEDs interms of energy consumption ( directly or indirectly ) impact to overall marine tank is well know, ultimately it's still the end results i.e. coloration that a reefer is seeking that matters.

Having an open mind to options is always good. As long as it produce the results one is seeking.

Looking forward to Jamie's sharing on the pictures ( if any ) and let us admire on his success in using the LEDs.

Yalor, your atinic T5s in your culture tanks is a fine example of success using just atinic lights. I suggest you can use LED to cut your electriicity bill to achieve the same effects. Not sure if that is feasible as LED lights are quite expensive? May use many LED torch lights or study lamp lights which you can purchase from the pasar malams! :thumbsup:

Yalor, your atinic T5s in your culture tanks is a fine example of success using just atinic lights. I suggest you can use LED to cut your electriicity bill to achieve the same effects. Not sure if that is feasible as LED lights are quite expensive? May use many LED torch lights or study lamp lights which you can purchase from the pasar malams! :thumbsup:

LOL.

I noticed some reefers with T5 and MH lit systems utilize a strip or two of LEDs to jazz things up.

• SRC Member

i saw some reefers eventually change back to T5

Commissioned 20/9/2012

Incoming:

Conch ll Basic

LED, T5 or MH will be suitable for any SPS as long as you keep only a few fishes and your water quality is excellent. Whatever lighting you use will not be able to sustain an SPS tank if your water quality is not there. The answer is obvious............

Marineman has rightly pointed out the single most important factor for successful SPS reefing - water quality.

In my own understanding on water quality, i would boradly advocate two main factors i.e. Nutrient level and Stability ( where the basic parameters Kh / Ca / Mg / Sg are within the tolerance range).

Next in line will then be lightings. Not to say that lightings is less important but imo water quality would be a prerequisite before we even talk about what lightings to use.

Btw I am still learning eventhough I have been reefing for a while (though not as long as Jamie ) ...but am sometime surprise by how fast a new comer could catch up and keep a relatively good sps tank just within a year or two. Kind of tell me that it doesnt matter how long you stay in the hobby but how humble you are to learn and willing to keep an open mind to ideas and methods of reefing ;)

• Like 1

Lol...boss D, i have been waiting for you to sponsor a LED light set all along but so far didnt hear any signal from you for quite a while. So i go Sim Lim Tower and buy those cheapo one strip LED to quench my thrist. Now use it as my routine night watch torch light to make sure no pest for my zoas wahaha :lol:

Honkit,

it was certainly not my intention to slight anyones aquarium! I personally do not like the colour I get/got under T5s. In the end, we do keep marines to satisfy our own aesthetic (partially, anyway). For the record, I do keep one tank with T5s for comparisons with LEDs. My preference is clear. I prefer the glitter lines and more fluid colour play of the LEDs. I do not really like bright bon-bon colours, but plenty of people do. There is certainly room for more than one look.

My apologies, if you felt I was slighting anyone.

Jamie

Jamie Vande

Vertex Aquaristik

Cologne, Germany

http://kolognekoral.blogspot.com/