My 2ft Cube!

mw1611

I used to have a 3FT set up a couple of years back while I was still studying. But I decided to decom the tank back then cause I couldn't commit financially and physically. Now that I can commit better, I decided to return to the reefing scene! My current set up is a 2FT cube, with 6" IOS.

Here's a picture my humble tank, taken on 20th June 2012, 4 days into cycling:

post-21390-0-50195400-1340299175_thumb.j

Here are my equipments list:

1. Return Pump - Eheim Compact 1000

2. Skimmer - Bubble Magnus NAC 3.5

3. Chiller - Artica 1/15HP

Chiller Pump - Eheim Compact 1000

4. Lights - Beamswork Double Power LED 1300 (temp, might run it together with incoming lights)

5. Ocean Free 2200 (temporary power head for circulation)

Incoming equipments:

1. 2x Eshine Aquawasher

2. 2x Tunze 6025 (should be getting this one)

I'm currently dosing bacteria and Henry's Goodbye PO4 daily!

• Like 1

Thank you! Here's a picture of the full tank with cabinet! :)

post-21390-0-64415100-1340477159_thumb.j

Oops.. Got some reflection in there.. haha.. of course the airplane isn't in the tank! :blush:

And here's a picture of the tank close up!

post-21390-0-80795300-1340477212_thumb.j

And a closer look to the rockscape from the side! :)

post-21390-0-39312900-1340477252_thumb.j

Sorry for the blur glass! lots of pods stuck to the tank walls now.. and there's hitchhiked snail on the front glass now so there's a little trail all over!

The tank's 8 days into cycling now! Oops.. made a mistake on the first post.. It was 6 days into cycling then.. Tank started on 16 June!

Hmm.. Currently my chiller's thermostat reads 26 Degrees but a digital thermometer I placed on the tank reads 25 Degrees.. Which one shall I follow?

Did my second round of tests since the tank started today.. So here's the readings!

Salinity - 1.026

NO3 - 4

NO2 - 0.1

pH - 8.08

KH - 2.4

PO4 - 0.16

• SRC Member

Interesting rockscape bro.

The snail trail is cute!

Good dimensions, your tank.

Now I kinda regretted the missing 6" back and height. Mine is only 2'x1.5'x1.5'(H), 6" ios at the back..

Darn!! Feel like upgrading now.. Lol

Hi,

Why do you need a cabinet since you are having a IOS tank?

Is Eheim Compact 1000 good enough for a return pump?

I going to set up my IOS tank as well.. still researching for a suitable pump and Skimmer.

I used to have a 3FT set up a couple of years back while I was still studying. But I decided to decom the tank back then cause I couldn't commit financially and physically. Now that I can commit better, I decided to return to the reefing scene! My current set up is a 2FT cube, with 6" IOS.

Here's a picture my humble tank, taken on 20th June 2012, 4 days into cycling:

post-21390-0-50195400-1340299175_thumb.j

Here are my equipments list:

1. Return Pump - Eheim Compact 1000

2. Skimmer - Bubble Magnus NAC 3.5

3. Chiller - Artica 1/15HP

Chiller Pump - Eheim Compact 1000

4. Lights - Beamswork Double Power LED 1300 (temp, might run it together with incoming lights)

5. Ocean Free 2200 (temporary power head for circulation)

Incoming equipments:

1. 2x Eshine Aquawasher

2. 2x Tunze 6025 (should be getting this one)

I'm currently dosing bacteria and Henry's Goodbye PO4 daily!

Interesting rockscape bro.

The snail trail is cute!

Good dimensions, your tank.

Now I kinda regretted the missing 6" back and height. Mine is only 2'x1.5'x1.5'(H), 6" ios at the back..

Darn!! Feel like upgrading now.. Lol

Thanks! I hope the corals will sit in right! Haha.. I know right.. I was also considering the same dimensions as you at first but i was quite bothered by the little space I'd have in front after the 6" IOS, so I decided to go ahead with a 2FT cube. Haha.. But I also have one problem now, cause my cabinet is 90cm tall, so when I need to do stuff at the sand bed or just slightly further down the tank, my entire arm has to go in..

haha, I thought the snail trails was markings for your landscape design! you have an architect snail in your tank, :P

Lol! I got a shock when I entered my room and saw the tank. I thought what's up with the trails then I spotted the small snail on my fro t glass. Don't know if it's a really small snail, but it looks like it has a really soft, pyramid like shell.

Hi,

Why do you need a cabinet since you are having a IOS tank?

Is Eheim Compact 1000 good enough for a return pump?

I going to set up my IOS tank as well.. still researching for a suitable pump and Skimmer.

Hmm.. Cause my table isn't strong enough to hold the tank. And I wanted something to hold my additives and miscellaneous stuff. And eventually to hold a reservoir for my ATO.

In my opinion, the compact 1000 doesn't give me enough power at the outlet. But sufficient la.. Just add wave makers lor.. Haha.. I'm quite satisfied with my skimmer so far though :)

Bro, haha, maybe you can take it's design cue, =p

U should try eheim 1250, more pressure, hence Hmax. I am using it, quite good

Heh.. Yeah.. I actually thought of changing to that.. Do you know how big is it? Thought of compensating for the weak flow with good wave makers.

On e side note.. I just accquired a second hand JBJ ATO last night. Got to source for a pump that would be strong enough to go up 90cm + 60cm.. And a reservoir that can hold about 4-6 liters of water.. Wanna put the ATO system inside the cabinet, but I don't know if the sensor cables are long enough..

• SRC Member

Yup. I agree with scientist. The Eheim 1250 can fit easily in your ios (mine too), and is much better suited. The compact 1000 is too underpowered for your tank dimensions.

The only space constraint u may foresee is the 2ft deep ios. With the 6" width, it may be difficult to clean the bottom portion within the ios.

My cabinet is 100cm tall, and I have a hood that raises the overall height by 4". Reaching the sand bed is relatively easy. Only cleaning the ios base gets tough.

Otherwise, the dimensions looks great!

I got my tank from the buy sell forum. Now I'm really tempted to custom make a new tank, as my current cabinet is ready for a 2ft cube foot print and weight.

Yeah.. It is difficult to reach to the bottom of the IOS.. Some more the return pump segment is just beside my cupboard..

Hmm.. If I change my return pump to the 1250, can I use the compact 1000 to pump water from my ATO reservoir to the tank?

Hmm.. Ok! I just got a second hand 1260. Will be collecting tonight. I think I'll just try it with one outlet.. I hope won't be an overkill at the outlet :unsure: I think I can probably turn off the temporary powerhead if thats the case.

If I'm putting the pump in the ios, do I need to put any tube/pipe at the suction inlet? or just let it sit in?

Oh man.. I got a second hand 1260 and it doesn't fit my return pump section.. Either I hook it up external or I try to sell it / trade for a 1250.. I'd prefer to have it submerged though.. Hmm.. But in any case, anywhere I can go to get piping done if I want to hook it up externally?

• SRC Member

Important note if you're using hose / pipes to run Eheim externally. They don't have self priming.

That means it can be very difficult to suck up the water from 60cm depth when you start up the pump.

I had a tough time years ago whenever I did water change on my 3footer, running the Eheim 1260 just 6" above water.