Clown Trigger

Hi all. i always want to add 1 small clown trigger to my fowlr.

But im not sure if its possible as i heard that its quite fierce.

my tank consist of yellow tang, blue tang, flame angel, clowns and small koran.

so is it possible ?

thanks!!

its possible but in the long run you probably will end up having alot of difficulty to add new fishes and the existing fishes may be in danger once the clown has grown bigger. Its a beautiful fish but definitely not recommended if you consider keeping angels in your tank

I beg to differ as I have kept a few clown triggers before and for triggerfish their tempers vary and are unique to each individual.

I had a picasso trigger which attacked anything and everything within the tank - coral and even an empty sea shell if you drop it in.

I have had 2 clown triggers (one killed by power trip to tank) within the last 2 years and both are really peaceful.

They investigate every new thing to the tank but end up ignoring it.

I hava only seen one weird incident when the first clown trigger tried killing a pipefish...?? it was really weird as this is what i have in my tank:

chromis/damsels/flame angel/naso tang/ toby/ porcupine fish/moray/ grouper/picasso, undulate trigger

He chases the Flame sometimes but never actually bites - they have been together for like 6 months

My advise when choosing a trigger is to NOT pick the one that reacts too much to you (its not like buying a puppy) -those that try to bite you through the tank? Not a good sign- too aggressive....

Choose one that is slightly afraid of you - stays in the corner but is looking at you.

Just my 2 cents.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It really depends on the individual actually... I've been keeping triggers for almost a decade so i do have a bit of experience in them.

I would say be careful with Undulates - i have had some truly satanic ones - killing damsels and storing them in crevices like snacks for later.....

Shrimps and snail ... not really sure - it was my moray which ate the shrimps but snails I still have some.....

And a clam ! my triggers ignore it (cause they are really well fed)

And always always start feeding whenever you introduce a trigger.

Once you see your new trigger munching and investigating the rocks and coral??

Start flooding the tank with multiple food types- see what it likes and then keep feeding it.....

Make it understand that food will come and it does not have to scourge the tank for it....

Anyways Sealife has some really tiny clown triggers (1 inch) so if you start at that size they will easily fit into a community tank.

From Sealife I just got another trigger as well - a one inch blue line .... really pretty fish when grown up (rare at that size as well. Sealife still has one more).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I love Clown Trigger! But mine Died even before i released it into my tank...

I placed him in this "tank" that floats on the surface so that it can adapt first.

2days later it dead. Dont know whats wrong. It moves alot, but sleeps alot too.

i feed once a day.

Not sure if its due to the fact that i feed once a day? Cause i checked online after its death that usually ppl feed them 2-3 times a day.

• Like 1

• SRC Member

Recently I bought my first clown triggerfish. The same happened, it went into hiding and remained almost motionless for 3 days, without eating. Initially I thought it will not make it but it survived and came out of hiding. Yes, it does eat quite alot. Accordingly to bro Jameshong, he experienced 12 days without food for his clown triggerfish. My clown triggerfish survived and is now my display fish, kept with a snow flake eel and a starfish.