Evaporation!!! Water change required???

ChuaNamTiong

I'm using a cooling fan to lower my temperature of the 3ft tank. Within a week, the water can evaporate as much as 10%.

If let say after 2 weeks the water evaporate 20% and I top up the water, do I still need to do a water change in this case?

Advice from expert???

HI, Not an expert but you still have to do water change, due to these reasons

1. Its only Water that evaporates

2. Good and Bad elements do not evaporate with water

3. Waste also does not evaporate with Water

4. By water change you replenish the good trace elements with a good salt mix and remove any bad elements in the water

So it is advise able to do a periodic water change to keep the system healthy, IMHO

• SRC Member

I'm using a cooling fan to lower my temperature of the 3ft tank. Within a week, the water can evaporate as much as 10%.

If let say after 2 weeks the water evaporate 20% and I top up the water, do I still need to do a water change in this case?

Advice from expert???

Keep both matters separate - evaporation issue and water change.

For the evaporation, you'll need to top up with fresh water. As the salinity level increase due to the evaporation, topping up with freshwater will bring salinity back to desired levels. Best to use RO/DI or distilled water.

For water change, you'll still need to change periodically to replenish trace elements and extract nitrates and other wastes.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member
Din know that to use freshwater to top up for evaporation. That will make life more easier. Many thanks for the advice.

Hi bro, when you top up with fresh water, do dechlorine (like using seachem prime) and leave them over night, top up the next day with the aged water will be better instead of directly adding tap water to the tank.

• SRC Member

After a few weeks of reefing i got to ask this.. i was very unsure... Using LIFE DI water, doesnt need to add dechlorinator right?

Teh'sTankSetup Decomm on 18/8/2012

Tank: 2x1x1 Rimless Tank (Sumpless)

Lighting: Aquazonic 2x24watts T5 (Actinic x Sun White)

Moonlight: Acardia 1W Led Light (Blue)

Filter: ISTA Max Care Cannister

Skimmer: Bubble Magus E3

Chiller: Resun CL450 (Aquazonic Evo Pump)

Wave: Boyu WM-25

Commissioned 20/9/2012

Tank: 3x2x2.5

Lighting: 250w DeLighting MH/ 2x 39w Delighting Diy T5 ATI Blue Plus

Skimmer: H&S Skimmer Type 110-F2000

Chiller: CL450 (Aquazonic Evo Pump)

Return Pump: Eheim 1260

Reactor: D&D H2Ocean FMR 75 (ADA 1500 Pump)(Rowaphos)

Wavemaker: 2x SunSun Wavemaker (3000L)

Incoming:

Conch ll Basic

ATO System/Tunze Osmolator

Magic Marine 3CH Dosing Pump

• 2 months later...
  • SRC Member

Top up with distilled ok. But water change you should avoid using direct tap water. They contain all sorts of stuff inside including silicates which fuel algae growth. That's why pple buy ro/di and use salt mix for tank.

• SRC Member

Avoid Tap Water... Use RO/DI is the best.. You can use Bottle Distilled Water...If u want to save Bottles, but those 19L distilled water from the company itself.. Try Pere Ocean Distilled Water.

I dont use RO/DI because of the wasteful unpurified water that goes into drain.. 4Stage RO/DI produces 1Gallon on Pure water (0 TDS) to 4-5 Gallon of un-pure water. U can reduce the waste 1-2 gallon by installing another stage for another membrane which produces 1Gallon of pure water to 3-4 gallon of un-pure water.

As for me, Collect Tap water into a big Tub, run a cheap 1 stage water purifier (DI Resin/AC/Sponge) cycling the water for sometime till i get 0 TDS..

Teh'sTankSetup Decomm on 18/8/2012

Tank: 2x1x1 Rimless Tank (Sumpless)

Lighting: Aquazonic 2x24watts T5 (Actinic x Sun White)

Moonlight: Acardia 1W Led Light (Blue)

Filter: ISTA Max Care Cannister

Skimmer: Bubble Magus E3

Chiller: Resun CL450 (Aquazonic Evo Pump)

Wave: Boyu WM-25

Commissioned 20/9/2012

Tank: 3x2x2.5

Lighting: 250w DeLighting MH/ 2x 39w Delighting Diy T5 ATI Blue Plus

Skimmer: H&S Skimmer Type 110-F2000

Chiller: CL450 (Aquazonic Evo Pump)

Return Pump: Eheim 1260

Reactor: D&D H2Ocean FMR 75 (ADA 1500 Pump)(Rowaphos)

Wavemaker: 2x SunSun Wavemaker (3000L)

Incoming:

Conch ll Basic

ATO System/Tunze Osmolator

Magic Marine 3CH Dosing Pump

• SRC Member

Avoid Tap Water... Use RO/DI is the best.. You can use Bottle Distilled Water...If u want to save Bottles, but those 19L distilled water from the company itself.. Try Pere Ocean Distilled Water.

I dont use RO/DI because of the wasteful unpurified water that goes into drain.. 4Stage RO/DI produces 1Gallon on Pure water (0 TDS) to 4-5 Gallon of un-pure water. U can reduce the waste 1-2 gallon by installing another stage for another membrane which produces 1Gallon of pure water to 3-4 gallon of un-pure water.

As for me, Collect Tap water into a big Tub, run a cheap 1 stage water purifier (DI Resin/AC/Sponge) cycling the water for sometime till i get 0 TDS..

good econmically reefing method.