DKH and CA problem

• SRC Member

Hi,i hv problem to buffer up my DKH and CA with C balance 2 parts.B4 buffer up my tank water DKH is 7.3 and CA 375.Inable to buffer to DKH 8.5,I dose 40ml after i use the reef chemistry calculator.I test the water again after 3hr and dkh at 8.1 and ca at 390.The nxt day nite i test again and dkh drop to 7.5.In 1 day my tank consume dkh 0.6.Again i dose 55ml including the dkh loss per day on c balance.Today i test again still dkh drop to 7.5 and ca at 375.What could be the problem not able to buffer up my dkh and ca?Btw i tested the MG and result show me 1320 and water salinity at 1.026.Im using DD complete testkit for DKH,MG and CA.My tank got only 7 frag sps,2 brain coral,3 lobo coral,1 candy cane,1 small prata coral and 1 frag gsp.

Thks

My decomm 4ft FOWLR

• SRC Member

wat is the PH? U can try pushing up the Mg to 1400

I dnt hv ph test kit to test.Will try to brg up MG when i get hold of MG buffer.At the main time hope to get more advice.

Thks

My decomm 4ft FOWLR

What's the volume of your tank:? It's very important. My SPS tank 5 gallon tank needs 20ml a day of each component just to hold the value. For a large tank even with few hard corals calcium is easily depleted by coralline algae, calcaereous tubeworms, clams, etc. Carbonate hardness is consumed by corals, and most people will be surprised to learn that kH is increasing depleted along with increasing bioload or when things decompose (uneaten food, fish waste, etc). So the higher the fish load, the higher the rate of carbonate depletion. I suggest you double up the dosage to 80ml of each part and see if the value still drops. Of course the more volume of each you add, it would be better to increase the dosage frequency (eg. from 12x to 24x separate dosings per day) to prevent fast swings.

Most full blown SPS reef if large volume will be very costly to run on commercial 2-part additives. You may wish to check if you would save more if they have a bigger packaging size or you may wish to consider changing to balling salts which would be more economical.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

What's the volume of your tank:? It's very important. My SPS tank 5 gallon tank needs 20ml a day of each component just to hold the value. For a large tank even with few hard corals calcium is easily depleted by coralline algae, calcaereous tubeworms, clams, etc. Carbonate hardness is consumed by corals, and most people will be surprised to learn that kH is increasing depleted along with increasing bioload or when things decompose (uneaten food, fish waste, etc). So the higher the fish load, the higher the rate of carbonate depletion. I suggest you double up the dosage to 80ml of each part and see if the value still drops. Of course the more volume of each you add, it would be better to increase the dosage frequency (eg. from 12x to 24x separate dosings per day) to prevent fast swings.

Most full blown SPS reef if large volume will be very costly to run on commercial 2-part additives. You may wish to check if you would save more if they have a bigger packaging size or you may wish to consider changing to balling salts which would be more economical.

My tank plus sump total 52G.I keep only 6 fish in my reef tank.Think i try to increase my dose and monitor.Thks for your advice.

My decomm 4ft FOWLR

• SRC Member

So for using 2 part additives, is it always the 2 part dosing the same? or dkh will always be more? thanks.

Tank size:36"x36"x24"

Return pump" 2x Reef Octo 5000

Skimmer:BK Double Cone 200 on Reef Octopus DC 5500s.

Wavemaker:2xVortech MP40wES

Chemical filtration:1xeducator FR(biopellets)

Chiller:1hp Daikin compressor.

Lighting:2 x Kessil A360we

Auto topup system: JBJ ATO + new jet 1200

Dosing system: Kamoer 3 channel.

Additives: ESV 2 part.

Power consumption

2XReef Octo 5000: 120watts

BK skimmer:50watts

2xVortech wavemaker:70watts

Daikin compressor:775watts

Lighting:180watts

Ato system:21watts

Exhaust fans:16watts

Refugium light:27watts

So for using 2 part additives, is it always the 2 part dosing the same? or dkh will always be more? thanks.

Depends on the brand. For C-balance, same volumes of each part. This is assuming your parameters are in optimal range to begin with. For individual tweaking of parameters, the dose will be different.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

Depends on the brand. For C-balance, same volumes of each part. This is assuming your parameters are in optimal range to begin with. For individual tweaking of parameters, the dose will be different.

thank you for the info.

Tank size:36"x36"x24"

Return pump" 2x Reef Octo 5000

Skimmer:BK Double Cone 200 on Reef Octopus DC 5500s.

Wavemaker:2xVortech MP40wES

Chemical filtration:1xeducator FR(biopellets)

Chiller:1hp Daikin compressor.

Lighting:2 x Kessil A360we

Auto topup system: JBJ ATO + new jet 1200

Dosing system: Kamoer 3 channel.

Additives: ESV 2 part.

Power consumption

2XReef Octo 5000: 120watts

BK skimmer:50watts

2xVortech wavemaker:70watts

Daikin compressor:775watts

Lighting:180watts

Ato system:21watts