calcium consumption rate

ntwdavid

Dear Folks,

I have a torch, hammer, clove, red sea fan, blue sea fan, common tube worm, white coco worm, a few unknown mushroom and 3 white tube worms.

Water in tank is about 90Litres

Picture is as attached.

I think my tank is lightly stocked do you?

i intend to do only 20% water change every week and dose nothing.

I don't have a calcium test kit.

I have did some research in the net and have did some calculation.

Assuming that my calcium consumption rate is 20ppm per week.

A newly make saltwater has 420ppm of calcium, 20% of water change will not bring the calcium level to 420ppm.

Every water change will only bring back the calcium level by a bit.

The calcium in my tank will keep decreasing and become stable at 340ppm because the weekly water change i perform can maintan this level.

Calculation is as follow:

1st water change= 420ppm-20ppm=400ppm,

20% water change will bring the calcuim level to 404ppm (calculation: 404ppm X 4 + 420ppm div by 5 )

2nd water change=404ppm-20ppm=384ppm,

20% water change will bring the calcuim level to 391.2ppm (calculation: 391.2ppm X 4 + 420ppm div by 5 )

3rd water change=391.2ppm-20ppm=371.2ppm,

20% water change will bring the calcuim level to 380.96ppm (calculation: 371.2ppm X 4 + 420ppm div by 5 )

.......... and so on until the calcium level is a constant 340ppm after every water change.

340ppm of calcium can be found in many sea area. Dosing is not require if i uses good reef salt.

Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Folks can share your calcium consumption rate for a week, plus a picture of your tank? :thumbsup:

post-20127-0-43838600-1343054771_thumb.j

Dear Folks,

I have a torch, hammer, clove, red sea fan, blue sea fan, common tube worm, white coco worm, a few unknown mushroom and 3 white tube worms.

Water in tank is about 90Litres

Picture is as attached.

I think my tank is lightly stocked do you?

i intend to do only 20% water change every week and dose nothing.

I don't have a calcium test kit.

I have did some research in the net and have did some calculation.

Assuming that my calcium consumption rate is 20ppm per week.

A newly make saltwater has 420ppm of calcium, 20% of water change will not bring the calcium level to 420ppm.

Every water change will only bring back the calcium level by a bit.

The calcium in my tank will keep decreasing and become stable at 340ppm because the weekly water change i perform can maintan this level.

Calculation is as follow:

1st water change= 420ppm-20ppm=400ppm,

20% water change will bring the calcuim level to 404ppm (calculation: 404ppm X 4 + 420ppm div by 5 )

2nd water change=404ppm-20ppm=384ppm,

20% water change will bring the calcuim level to 391.2ppm (calculation: 391.2ppm X 4 + 420ppm div by 5 )

3rd water change=391.2ppm-20ppm=371.2ppm,

20% water change will bring the calcuim level to 380.96ppm (calculation: 371.2ppm X 4 + 420ppm div by 5 )

.......... and so on until the calcium level is a constant 340ppm after every water change.

340ppm of calcium can be found in many sea area. Dosing is not require if i uses good reef salt.

Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Folks can share your calcium consumption rate for a week, plus a picture of your tank? :thumbsup:

Nice ... Neat and clean ..

• SRC Member

Have to be wary of batch to batch variations (wc and salt) . Safer to check calcium level after wc

Temperature of water, how long you mixed, nature of water, etc, all affects dissolution of Ca slightly. Same bucket of salt may have slight differences as well.

That's why you always see the amazing variations of test results in salt mix reviews

Have to be wary of batch to batch variations (wc and salt) . Safer to check calcium level after wc Temperature of water, how long you mixed, nature of water, etc, all affects dissolution of Ca slightly. Same bucket of salt may have slight differences as well. That's why you always see the amazing variations of test results in salt mix reviews
Yes agreed have read about that somewhere. Currently using H2 Ocean as many preview indicate that it has constant properties. Previously using Tropic Marin Pro Reef, it is a very good salt because i can see that even alge also growing very fast(i uses trap water), fishes are swimming in a calm manner. i often over feed, for my case. http://www.tropic-marin.com/web/english/produkte/proreef-meersalz-vergleich.htm this website recommend to use normal tropic marin salt . The problem with normal tropic marin salt is that it has lower calcium so i switch to H2 Ocean.