Things growing on my life rocks and sand

Hi...i have some problems with my tank ...i hope some of you may clarify..I have these brownish stuff growing on my lr and sand bed and also my tank glass... its like chocolate color...not sure whether its algae hmmm...if it is how can i get rid of it... will phosphate help?? or should i buy turbo snails or should i juz leave it alone..please help

• SRC Member
these are caused by SiO2 in your water. You must have used tapwate for setting up your tank and top up water.

If your tank is new then this is part of the cycling process and they will go away once the SiO2 are used up.

BTW how's the anemone?

SiO2? Silicon Dioxide?

mmm...are u sure its silicon dioxide? :blink:

• SRC Member

Scraping off the diatoms from the glass will only release them back into the water body and do not do much difference. Maybe you will like to try to use a sponge and wipe in one motion from bottom up and while holding the tip of the sponge off the glass so that most the diatoms will be trap on the inside of the sponge. Then take out the sponge and give it a good clean under running water and dry it off and start it all over again. This way more of the diatoms will be removed and thus shortening their cycle. IMHO