New tank cycle

Hi bro got some question to advise on new tank cycling for 5 day . last night return from work tank look blur likely bateria bloom now tank running with biopellet & rowa dose TLF bateria 20ml each day up to 10 day. (1) How long it take to clear back. (2) Filter sock alot of form like protin skimmer forming it is normal now not running with skimmer due to tank cycling. (3) Tank have abit of smell like market fish stall is it normal ? due to ammorine building up . TKS bro pls advise

• SRC Member

The smell may be due to die-off in the tank and bro kkk121 is right, you need to turn on the skimmer.

From my last experience, it takes about a week for the water to clear after the bacteria bloom.

Regards,
Jeff

Aquarium: 48" x 18" x 24" tank with 24" x 15" x 15" sump (approx. 150 gallons)
Equipment: Maxspect Razor 320W, Vortech MP40, Vertex Omega 180i, Eheim 1262 return pump, Hailea HS 66A, Bacteria King
Fish and coral food: Henry's Reefgourmet pellets, Preis coral energizer, Kent Marine PhytoPlex, Brightwell Reef Snow, Two-Little Fishies Marine Snow
Dosage: Triton Elements

IMG_0562small.jpg

• SRC Member

for me, i do not run or add anything. Just wait for the cycle period to end and do a major water change.

2ft cube with 2.5 sump

400w MH with 6 x 24w blue T5

Hydor wavemaker controller

Aquatronica controller

Daikin compressor with double coil

RM CR

H&S out sump skimmer

The reason why there is a smell is because there is a lot of dead bacteria in your tank, running bio pellets must be accompanied with a skimmer to skim off the excess bacteria. I would lay off the dosing for now and just let the tank cycle as it is, let the parameters stabilise before adding new cultures into the tank. The more bacteria you add the more cloudy your tank going to get.

The foam you see is actually what the protein skimmer would remove, but since you don't have a skimmer it's not removed from your water column.

Adding bacteria is beneficial as it buffers the "cycle" and quickens the process, but in excess it's going to do more harm than good.

And lastly, how long the water will clear up is not the issue, because you need a skimmer to skim away the excess bacteria in your tank. Each tank has a different profile, thus it is impossible to tell you when the water will clear up. If you run bio pellets, you must run a skimmer.