Why can't we mix saltwater for more than 4 hrs?

kaykay

• SRC Member

I was reading the little booklet in the RSCP salt bucket.

At the end of the mixing instruction is "DO NOT mix for more than 4 hours"..

No explanation was given. Any one care to enlighten?

I dumped salt into DI water this morning before work. So it's been more than 15 hours mixing with a powerhead.

Can I continue to use this water for water change?

• Like 1

• SRC Member

I will throw caution to the wind and use this 40L of DI water and 1.3kg of salt mixed for 16 hours for my water change later.

Unless I receive a firm "no" reply in the next 1 hour here.

Will update again the parameters after the 45% water change for my nano 2-footer.

• SRC Member

I will throw caution to the wind and use this 40L of DI water and 1.3kg of salt mixed for 16 hours for my water change later.

Unless I receive a firm "no" reply in the next 1 hour here.

Will update again the parameters after the 45% water change for my nano 2-footer.

wait for your update. It strange as i keep my water stirred at least 24hrs before WC

Hi,

Based on my personal experience, salt mix that are meant for sps tend to have higher ca, mg & kh. So leaving it for too long will cause precipitations. The water will turn chalky/cloudy. Happened to me twice, once was 24hrs & the other 48hrs. The 48hrs was very cloudy & my tank turned milky after water change.

The sensitive sps gave out white excretions but were ok after a few hrs. My flame & flameback angels were seen eating the white excretions.

Overall, nothing drastic happened as my water change is around 10%. However, I am not taking anymore chances, nowadays I don't premixed in advance for more than half a day.

<p>

Hi, Based on my personal experience, salt mix that are meant for sps tend to have higher ca, mg &amp; kh. So leaving it for too long will cause precipitations. The water will turn chalky/cloudy. Happened to me twice, once was 24hrs &amp; the other 48hrs. The 48hrs was very cloudy &amp; my tank turned milky after water change. The sensitive sps gave out white excretions but were ok after a few hrs. My flame &amp; flameback angels were seen eating the white excretions. Overall, nothing drastic happened as my water change is around 10%. However, I am not taking anymore chances, nowadays I don't premixed in advance for more than half a day.
</p>

that part about the salt mix having higher ca mg and kh is the most probable i think, because red sea coral pro does have elevated levels of those.

i mean it would be kinda weird asking you to mix for only 4 hours, when the moment you add it in your tank its going to be mixing for much longer than 4 hours.

• SRC Member

<p></p>

that part about the salt mix having higher ca mg and kh is the most probable i think, because red sea coral pro does have elevated levels of those.

i mean it would be kinda weird asking you to mix for only 4 hours, when the moment you add it in your tank its going to be mixing for much longer than 4 hours.

Good statement. ..i hv the same thoughts too

<p></p>

I suppose once it is into yr tank it is diluted. Don't forget u r changing approx 10% water only.

The consumption by the corals (especially sps) will lower ca,mg & kh levels so the longer it stays in yr tank the less concentrated it is.

So yr concern about more than 4hrs in yr tank is not an issue, the concentration levels will come down.

Another reason why changing water weekly is to replenish the trace elements besides nutrients export. Hence, there r some avocating that it is not necessary to dose trace elements if u do regular water change.

• SRC Member
Hi,

Based on my personal experience, salt mix that are meant for sps tend to have higher ca, mg & kh. So leaving it for too long will cause precipitations. The water will turn chalky/cloudy. Happened to me twice, once was 24hrs & the other 48hrs. The 48hrs was very cloudy & my tank turned milky after water change.

The sensitive sps gave out white excretions but were ok after a few hrs. My flame & flameback angels were seen eating the white excretions.

Overall, nothing drastic happened as my water change is around 10%. However, I am not taking anymore chances, nowadays I don't premixed in advance for more than half a day.

Yes I experience cloudiness too today. Salt mix looks ok after 16 hrs of mixing last night. Then I turned off the powerhead.

When I opened the lid today, I found the water chalky.

Nonetheless I continued to use it for wc. 45%. Main tank turned chalky, but cleared up within an hour.

Guess I'll have to time my salt mix preparation properly to avoid chalkiness again.

• SRC Member

i mix my water less than an hr. After water is clear i just pour into my tank straight. I dont see why we need to leave it so long for mixing. Anyone can explain? Anybody take any water parameter test after mixing for 1 hr and after a few hrs?

Tank Theme: Mixed Reef with clams

3 feet tank with IOS

Eheim 1262

K3 wavemaker x1

Lightings: T5 actinic blue x4 , T5 white x4

Skimmer: BMQQ

Artica 1/5

Dosing: NA

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reefing is sharing. People with rotten mouth is sure a loser for life as expected. When a tomato gets rotten, you can nvr save it.. Throw it away before it infect the good ones.

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

• SRC Member

i mix my water less than an hr. After water is clear i just pour into my tank straight. I dont see why we need to leave it so long for mixing. Anyone can explain? Anybody take any water parameter test after mixing for 1 hr and after a few hrs?

well i tested it with a pinpoint ph and noted the ph is unstable at 7+ range...ph stable after haf a day to 8 range. my option > root cause by chemical reaction and poor choice of stabilzer by salt manufacturer

I got a reply from Redsea answering this query, and below is their reply ;

Answer from Red Sea regards recommendation for mixing salt for maximum of 4 hours:

1. Coral Pro was specially designed for enhancing the calcification process in all corals. It contains highly elevated and biologically balanced levels of the foundation elements (calcium, magnesium and carbonate alkalinity components) and is recommend to be mixed to a salinity of 35ppt. The combination of high levels of foundation elements and salinity makes the elements close to their natural saturation levels in seawater therefore it is important to mix the salt correctly to avoid any precipitation.

2. Due to the thermodynamics of the dissolving process of a salt formula, water that is significantly cooler or warmer than the recommended 20OC/68OF may slow down the mixing process. Warmer water can be a contributory factor to causing precipitation of the foundation elements making the water cloudy.

3. Mixing the salt with agitation at the water surface increases the amount of CO2 that evaporates from the water causing an increase in both pH and alkalinity that enhances the chance of precipitation.

4. Based on the facts above, we recommend mixing salt for a maximum of 4 hours and using it immediately, to avoid any possible precipitation in the mixing vessel or changes to pH or KH. If any minor precipitation occurs it will not be detrimental to the livestock, it may lower the levels of the foundation elements and any complexed trace elements, pH and KH balances can be restored thorough supplementation.

Red Sea – Technical Customer Service

• SRC Member

Yes, from my experience since I do biweekly water changes and prepared pre-mixed saltwater container for a week; percipitation occur always occur on my saltwater container. The container wall contains calcium carbonates now (smell like cement). Now I start mixing before water change.

If percipication occur, the Kh and Ca will drop and it defeats the purpose of using coral pro version.

• SRC Member
I got a reply from Redsea answering this query, and below is their reply ;

Answer from Red Sea regards recommendation for mixing salt for maximum of 4 ........

.......... Red Sea – Technical Customer Service

Hi HM, thanks for the efforts.