Marine water from LFS

kais

• SRC Member

Many people use it without any ill effects but you want to check the pH and salinity before you add it into your tank.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Hi,

How about using the marine filtered water during the initial cycling, then before livestock has been added start using the marine salt during water changes? Was thinking of doing this to help defray the cost of always using the marine salt..

Opinions? :unsure:

I've been using filtered marine water from LFS since day one. No problems, in fact my corals & anemonies are making the best of it. Usually don't need to feed them for a week after water change. They blossom after each water change.

Tanzy is right about the PH & salinity of the water though. They vary from time to time. I always stand by PH Buffer and Marine salt.

No problems so far about the marine water from LFS, only xiong part is carrying it home.

• SRC Member
I've been using filtered marine water from LFS since day one

Hi augustine,

Just to check, your filtered marine water that you buy, do they do any other treatment? In your experience is it safe to just buy those that they filter only? Cos I understand some places also treat their seawater with UV light..

and is $3 per jerry can reasonable?

Thanks.. :unsure:

• SRC Member

I think answers to your questions will differ from each individual. You need to trust the LFS that you buy the water from. T95 at Seletar UV their water so I have been buying from them. 2 x 20L at S$3 each. It will be more convenient if one drives as dragging 2 x 20L looking for a cab is no joke! Was mixing my own saltwater but just too much work - de-chlor water, wait for it to dissolve etc...

• SRC Member

I prefer mixing water over buying seawater cause I'll have more control over the quality of the water. I suppose those with very big tanks (8 feet) it will be much cheaper to use seawater.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
I think answers to your questions will differ from each individual. You need to trust the LFS that you buy the water from. T95 at Seletar UV their water so I have been buying from them. 2 x 20L at S$3 each. It will be more convenient if one drives as dragging 2 x 20L looking for a cab is no joke! Was mixing my own saltwater but just too much work - de-chlor water, wait for it to dissolve etc...

I don't see why the need to drag yourself to carry seawater and pay for the cost of a taxi. Too much hard work.

Why not use salt? Less hardwork. I use a 1000l/h power head inside my 20g plastic bucket with the air tube thus providing aeration at the same time. Put 20g of water + declorinator, after 3 mins add 3 cup of Instant ocean salts. Instant Ocean salt dissolve in a minute (no residue). Within 5 minutes your water is ready. Connect a hose to the powerhead into your sump. That's it.

Buying saltwater takes more than 5 mins. If you include your hard work to carry the water and a taxi cab. It will cost more. And you can only carry limited water. Try to do this every week.

Like what Tanzy says, you have control over what you put in your tank.