Questions about OF nanonspace tank

Hello all!

I just have a quick question... Regarding the IOS systems in tanks like ocean free nano space tanks and others out there, what's the water level like in all columns? As I seen in shops the water level at the pump column is lower but my tanks with IOS tend to have all equal water levels... And as I observed the design is seems that that would be the case but how come the water levels are different when I see them outside is there something im doing wrong?

Cheers!

• SRC Member

just set up a 1 ft IOS, the water level is lower then the main tank.

From my previous experience, water level is the same only when the pump is very very weak or not working. Just a simple fluid dynamics, if the level in your pump compartment is the same level as your main means there is no pressure. Meaning that the overflow system cannot work as pump compartment is the same level. There is no constant flow from your compartments hence all the same level. Make sense to you?

The other thing is maybe you have over fill you water, try that at first to see. Easiest way. Slowly remove bit by bit to see if your pump compartement is lower then your main tank level. The other way is put your finger infront of the outlet to see if there is a low coming out.

• SRC Member

just for the fun and since i am cycling the tank. I have top up the water so the levels in the pump compartment is the same. There is still flow but not visible from the top. after 2 days or so the water level in the pump compartment drop. but the main tank still looks ok (meaning the top).

If i am not wrong the flow rate within the compartment where filteration takes plc needs lower flow rate. But due to the differential pressure. the flow rate in the main tank may not be as free flowing as if the water level in the compartment is lower then the main tank. I did a simple experiment by putting the china floating thermometer to see if current in the tank has a different. There is actually a difference. The lower compartment level has bigger swirl; coz the floating device circles a bigger circumference compared with higher level in the pump compartment. Hope this simple experiment is of some help.