Naso Tang just died

Morgan

Hi Guys

Sad tale

I have 4" Naso tang that just died for no apparent reason. I have this fish for 6 months and it is eating well and fat.

Than last Saturday, it suddenly refuesd to eat and today it is dead. There no sign of infection.

There other 4 surgeon fishes and 5 anthias are all OK and eating well.

Still cannot figure why.. :unsure:

Guys, its probably cyanide poisoning. :angry:

I hear that the collectors are still using cyanide to stun fishes to collect them. Especially in Indonesia.

You will note that the immediate symptom is bloated stomachs but those heavily poisoned die rather quickly in a few days.

The effects of cyanide poisoning sometimes takes a few weeks/months to show itself and by then, fishes will suddenly die of organ failure.

It's how the trade is being run. And our demand actually fuels greed. Greed begets laziness and a lack of conscience. And the end result is devastated reefs.

Sometimes, we have to ask ourselves whether we are ultimately responsible for the destruction to our reefs. Sorry but that is the diver in me speaking! <_<

Frankly, we cannot match what mother nature herself can do. A typhoon can destroy a reef in minutes and with El Nino happening... it's already happening somewhere.