Activated Carbon

scfong8

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Im using aquapharm black gold...:) got 20+% extra...:P u need to get a media bag if it doesnt come with it...:) i got half bottle if u want.:)

Fresh fishes and inverts! What's next? To the salty side of marine of course!:)

"Never to part, lest jealous heaven stole our hearts"

• SRC Member

Boyd Enterprises Chemipure and Chemipure Elite. Good quality!

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

i read article saying - Carbon can only absorb so much and after that it may simply become a nitrate bed instead.

i wash the carbon (aquapharm black gold) once every month. and replace every 3 months.

The spirit of sharing...

always remember forum is like its name - forum

Singapore Reef Club – We are an online discussion community which aim to provide quality information about setting up and keeping a marine reef aquarium. By joining us as a members, you will be able to learn and share your experience in this hobby and at the same time making some friends here !! We hope by educating the public about the marine hobby, we will be able to create greater awareness of the fragility of our coral reefs as well as loving each and every living fish / corals we purchase as a responsible reefer.

• SRC Member
I thought all Carbons work the same. Chemipure is around 10+ more expensive than aquapharm black gold
Yes, all AC works the same way - via Adsorption. BUT not all AC are made the same way. Best are AC that are activated thermally but are more expensive because the high temperatures required are more expensive to achieve. Chemicals like phosphoric acid are used to lower the temp required to activate the carbon but this sometime lead to impurities. Good AC can lasts 3-4 months. Then they are to be replaced as there surface area is already saturated.

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member
i read article saying - Carbon can only absorb so much and after that it may simply become a nitrate bed instead. i wash the carbon (aquapharm black gold) once every month. and replace every 3 months.
FYI, AC works via Adsorption, not absorption. There's a difference.

• SRC Member
i read article saying - Carbon can only absorb so much and after that it may simply become a nitrate bed instead. i wash the carbon (aquapharm black gold) once every month. and replace every 3 months.
FYI, AC works via Adsorption, not absorption. There's a difference.

coo, this is very nice information, thanks!

then can i reuse it after washing?

The spirit of sharing...

Singapore Reef Club – We are an online discussion community which aim to provide quality information about setting up and keeping a marine reef aquarium. By joining us as a members, you will be able to learn and share your experience in this hobby and at the same time making some friends here !! We hope by educating the public about the marine hobby, we will be able to create greater awareness of the fragility of our coral reefs as well as loving each and every living fish / corals we purchase as a responsible reefer.

• SRC Member

No u can't. The activated carbon has reached it's maximum adsorption ability unless we heat it up again to around 400-500degC, like what they do during the production of Activated Carbon from normal carbon, which is very troublesome, not economical & no specialized equipment to conduct all the required process. Much much cheaper to get new ones. Washing does not help in this sense.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

• SRC Member

My problem is that I can't find chemipure nowadays in lfs.. anyone spotted any?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

madpetz selling them

The spirit of sharing...

• 2 weeks later...