Taiwan Brand RO/DI Unit

Fishfreak

Hi,

Anyone out there have any experience with Taiwanese brand RO/DI units? I came across a 6-stage 50gph unit costing about S$500. They are also offering one set of filters (without the RO membrane) free.

The RO membrane label claimed a size of just 0.001 micron. Could this be true? I am not aware of this size.

Thanks

Fishfreak

• SRC Member

Dunno.....that kin of size really small.....but the taiwanese r quite as much a fish freak 2 u noe....could b true....but why u buy ro unit ...y dun u buy DI instead?....its cheaper......and can DIY 2.... :D

ISLANWIDE Doorstep CO2 refill @ $42.00 (5L and below)sms 93638229 now!!!! For larger canisters do enquire:]

Hi Platax,

As I understand (and verified from information available in the net), if tap water is passed though a DI unit directly, the effectiveness of the resin will be reduced very very quickly. If very pure water (like those passed through a good RO membrane) is passed though a DI unit, the lifespan of the resin is definitely much longer. Similarly, if tap water is not filtered properly before passing through an RO membrane, expect to replace the expensive membrane very soon.

The sale guy demonstrated the effectiveness of the RO/DI unit with a TDS meter. The TDS of the unfiltered water was 76ppm. The TDS of the filtered water at the end was just 2 ppm. That's about 98% purity, in line with good RO unit performance. I drank the water too - tastes good!

The guy didn't have a phosphate test kit so I don't know how good the reading is.

The RO/DI unit I refered to was selling in Taiwan. Its the cheapest unit under this brand ("chan" something - forgotten). They have more fancy ones. There are several companies in Taiwan manufacturing RO/DI units. I've also seen cheaper ones (around S$300 and usually without a pump) but I doubt the build quality.

If you like US ones, check this out:

www.airwaterice.com

Seems popular in the US. Good price but the freight (int'l handling US$25, USPS freight US$115, UPS US$150) will wipe out the 'good price'.