Noisy overflow pipe

DeadmanZ

• SRC Member

Hi bros... I'm having problems of noisy overflow pipe(sound of water gushing down at the 90 deg elbow)... Did some search online and read that a material call 'mass load vinyl' will be able to absorb the sounds from piping if it's used to wrap around it.. Anyone have tried the above method? Or anyone knows where can I buy this material? Wouldn't mind trying out if it can solve my problem! Thanks for looking! Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

• SRC Member

Oh bro.. It's not the gurgling sound of the water being pull down.. But rather its the way down to sump inside the pipe where water reaches the 90 deg elbow.. The water hitting sound.. So actually thinking of covering up that particular part.. Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

• SRC Member

Oh bro.. It's not the gurgling sound of the water being pull down.. But rather its the way down to sump inside the pipe where water reaches the 90 deg elbow.. The water hitting sound.. So actually thinking of covering up that particular part.. Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

ahh.... then you just need filter sock...

Probably a gate valve to regulate the flow of the downpipe. Gate valve can control/restrict the flow to fill up the 2" pipe. If the 2" pipe is fully filled, there wouldn't be any noise from the falling water that hit the elbow.

2" gate valve is very X.

• SRC Member

Haha.. Update is.. I stuff the cotton wool very high.. Until touching the tip of the output.. Then noise reduce a lot.. But will have to monitor the wool.. If not choke then going to overflow from sump.. Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bros,

I designed my overflow as Herbie style overflow with 2 outlet stand pipe and installed the ball valve at the outlet pipe from tank to the sump.

Although Herbie style worked very well, I still need to adjust ball valve when it is necessary.

So, I agreed with Bro megacue concept and it could be serve with safe and ease for you.

Happy Reefing in Dead Silent ! :P

linko

p.s . Dear reefer guy, May I know where can I get that Maggie Muffler locally ?

:ThanxSmiley:

post-17910-0-77973900-1362466441_thumb.j

post-17910-0-90874000-1362466445_thumb.j

• SRC Member

Wa.. Thanks bros for all the suggestion.. Appreciate that.. I guess for my case.. Is only to add a valve at the outlet.. But my concern is.. If we restrict the output.. But return is still pumping in the same amount of water.. Won't the water level raises? Or worst still.. Overflow out from dt? Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

It should be fine, if you can make your timing to adjust the valve. And what is your water level from the edge of your tank?

Mine is just 25mm away from top age and that is the reason I designed two over flow stand pipes to be get the stable level of display tank water.

If I don't want to drain the water from second stand pipe, I have to adjust my valve two times per week.

Hope my info will help you :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

What do u mean by adjust the valve 2 times a week bro? Meaning every time you have to increase the flow to lower the water level.. Then lower the flow back again? Like that sounds risky lei.. Hahah Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

Get a gate valve which gives you very precise adjustment... Herbie method is proven to work you just need to moniter and make sure that the water level when you first change to herbie, and for herbie, it is best to have 3 overflow pipe, 2 main overflow and 1 emergency overflow, if you have 1 overflow then you need to be extra careful..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

Thanks Terryz- for your helped.

:thumbsup:

DeadmanZ >

I used Filter Sock at Main Drain Pipe, then I have to change it twice per week since it was block every 3 days.

When the filter sock was block, the water level inside the over flow box is a bit high and the second drain start working.

I installed the Second Outlet above the water level of sump to hear the sound when water start coming out.

Then I adjust the Valve at Main Drain to reduce the outlet flow, If i'm not able to change the Filter Sock.

That's why I mentioned about the timing to adjust the valve in my previous comments.

:)

You are right it is quite risky unless you installed Complete Herbie method with 3 stand pipes.

But you still have to adjust it once when :chair: you do water change.

• 5 months later...