Polyp Extension during lighting hours

• SRC Member

Hi hi! Wondering if anyone has any suggestion or advice on how I can get my sps to extend their polyps fully during lighting hours? Just to clarify, their polyps do extend during lighting hours BUT when the lights go off after an hour or so and I use a small touch light to look at my sps, their extension are unbelievable! Would appreciate if anyone can provide any advice. Para: 0 no3&po4 salifert | 450 Ca | 1400 Mg | 8.9 Kh Dosing of ultra Amin, ultra bio, ultra bak and ultra minS daily; Alternate days dosing of FM colour elements; Dosing of ca,Kh & mg with addition of FM 3 part trace Feeding : rotifer & articpods morning; oyster smoothie in the evening Wonder if I'm doing anything wrong here

:: just a noob ::

• SRC Member

Hey bro.

I am not expert but what I learnt are:

The polyps when off light are those grabbing food and different from polyps when lights on.

KZ's coral visualiser do help to get a good PE.

Also. Less additives may help also. Check if got good PE after Water Change every time.

BTW. Ur kh is bit high in your ultra clean water. Better to keep below 8.

:superman: :superman: :superman: :superman: :superman: :superman: :superman:

• SRC Member

Hey bro thanks for the advice! Something new for me :) coz the polyps coming out of the same hole so I had the impression it's the same! Muahaha What's KZ btw? Noted on the Kh, will do necessary adjustments right away...

Hi bro, I faced the same issue as you, mine sps poly extension is not great in the day time but during the night, the poly extension is crazy.

I think there is nothing to worry about; having poly extension in the day does not guarantee the sps is healthy. Most important is the colour of the SPS, if the colour of the SPS is great then there is nothing to worry about.

5x2.5x1.5ft Rimless Dream Tank (06/03/12)
Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Return Pump - 1 x Eheim 1264, 1 x water blaster 7k
Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es
Chiller - Daikin compressor with coil drop in
Lighting - 4 x 80w T5 Pair 1(6hrs23/12/12),Pair 2(16/06/12312hrs 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (1/3/12) -(15/11/12)6hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (13/10/12) -6hrs)
Reactor - Dosing pump (01/01/11)

• SRC Member

Hey bro thanks for the advice!

Something new for me :) coz the polyps coming out of the same hole so I had the impression it's the same! Muahaha

What's KZ btw?

Noted on the Kh, will do necessary adjustments right away...

Welcome bro. Kz = zeovit

:superman: :superman: :superman: :superman: :superman: :superman: :superman:

• SRC Member
Hi bro, I faced the same issue as you, mine sps poly extension is not great in the day time but during the night, the poly extension is crazy. I think there is nothing to worry about; having poly extension in the day does not guarantee the sps is healthy. Most important is the colour of the SPS, if the colour of the SPS is great then there is nothing to worry about.
Thanks bro... I'm just worried cos polyps were extended then suddenly shortened during the day and lengthy at night so worried I might have done something wrong... Most of the frags are coloring up very nicely and I do see growth too... If that is a good sign then I will be at ease Liao :)

• SRC Member
Hey bro thanks for the advice! Something new for me :) coz the polyps coming out of the same hole so I had the impression it's the same! Muahaha What's KZ btw? Noted on the Kh, will do necessary adjustments right away... Welcome bro. Kz = zeovit
Ahh... But zeovit not avail in sgp now right?

• SRC Member

I actually do dose all my supplements during lighting hours... 1st thing in the morning! Haha I guess now just have to monitor while I slowly bring down my Kh to below 8 and see how they react ba... Thanks bro!

• SRC Member

Hey bro! Thanks! Saw that u using similar product too... Can I check with you if the ultra bak and ultra minS u use in tandem? Cos I was reading the manual and it seems I have to lower the amt but not sure when to do so... Currently I'm dosing 0.5ml each, each day... Suddenly I'm also wondering could it be the flame I added recently that coz the shortening of polyps... But if so, shldnt the polyps remain short/closed even at night... Hmm

• SRC Member
You need to use the full package of the zeolite stone, ultrabak, ultra mins s and the bacteria to have the best results.
Yes bro, I'm using the full package including the ultralith, ultrabio, ultraAmin, ultra minS, ultra balling light trace123 & all three colour elements too... Honestly no complains about the colouration at all... Nice solid colours and even previously brown out ones are starting to colour up :)

• SRC Member
Flame angel could well be the cause. Monitor the angel closely. Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
That was my initial suspect but monitor and it does peck ever so once in awhile only and hard for me the gauge if its the real cause... Hopefully it's just coincidence

• Sponsor

Do keep in mind, most corals, especially sps such as Acroporas, do not extend their tentacles on the reef during daylight hours. There are exceptions. Presumedly, part of this is due to polyp predation and waving your tasty bits about in front of a coralivore in the middle of the day would be unwise!

About a 50% extension in a tank is normal during the day. As we do not really understand all the reason for polyp extension, it is difficult to decide why many corals will do this in tanks, when they are completely closed on the reef. Is it light?. Are they hungry? Do they need more O2? All of these factors could play a role.

What you are seeing is absolutely normal. I would worry more, if my corals were constanly extending their polyps fully during the day, against their nature.

Jamie

Jamie Vande

Vertex Aquaristik

Cologne, Germany

www.vertexaquaristik.com

jamie@vertexaquaristik.de

• SRC Member
Do keep in mind, most corals, especially sps such as Acroporas, do not extend their tentacles on the reef during daylight hours. There are exceptions. Presumedly, part of this is due to polyp predation and waving your tasty bits about in front of a coralivore in the middle of the day would be unwise! About a 50% extension in a tank is normal during the day. As we do not really understand all the reason for polyp extension, it is difficult to decide why many corals will do this in tanks, when they are completely closed on the reef. Is it light?. Are they hungry? Do they need more O2? All of these factors could play a role. What you are seeing is absolutely normal. I would worry more, if my corals were constanly extending their polyps fully during the day, against their nature. Jamie
I get where u are coming from on this... It does make sense to me... Appreciate your detailed explanation on this... :)