LED lighting similar to Par30/38.

Evolutionz

• SRC Member

Hey guys,

Im currently have a 1ft cube (with 36cm height) tank and i am using a 6x3w Beamswork (4 white 2 blue) LED however, i find that my tank's lighting is too white and its not bringing out the color of my zoas and rics.. if i switch to only blue light, the corals looks really nice.. therefore i would like to get a blue-er light set.. I've seen how good par38 are but their price turned me off..

So i went ebay to do a search and i found this interesting LED that uses the same fitting and design as the par38.

with its E27 fitting, i can buy a housing with a plug.

Heres some photo taken from the sale page..

bda70888-b7e9-4b96-eb86-28b8f52cce87.JPG

Seller claim to use BridgeLux 3W High power LED and offer 60/90/120 degree lenses.

cbfbacc6-8165-0b39-09bd-7a96f5cfacb3.JPG

The above picture shows a 7x3W red + blue combi meant for plants.. im thinking of getting a 4 blue (20k) + 3 white (10k) combo..

Any advice? has anyone tried to purchase such light set from ebay before? the total cost estimated (with purchase of E27 holder) is still less than half the price of a Par38 light bulb.

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

• SRC Member
There are many similar led from eBay from china but is mean toward more for home or industrial use. Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Indeed there's a lot. However this seller mentioned this is for plant growth or coral reef aquarium.. They seems to have Cree led upgrade too

no harm trying, cheap cheap only. if buay gum then use as room light.

u can buy a light tester from slt to judge it's specifications, like the lumen, par level etc.

The spirit of sharing...

always remember forum is like its name - forum

Singapore Reef Club – We are an online discussion community which aim to provide quality information about setting up and keeping a marine reef aquarium. By joining us as a members, you will be able to learn and share your experience in this hobby and at the same time making some friends here !! We hope by educating the public about the marine hobby, we will be able to create greater awareness of the fragility of our coral reefs as well as loving each and every living fish / corals we purchase as a responsible reefer.

• SRC Member

yeah im planning to order soon.. still thinking if i should upgrade to CREE or stick to bridgelux.. even the seller recommend me BridgeLux instead..

How much are those light tester?

yeah im planning to order soon.. still thinking if i should upgrade to CREE or stick to bridgelux.. even the seller recommend me BridgeLux instead..

How much are those light tester?

http://www.ecocityhydroponics.com/light-lux-meters.html

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

u can get one from slt. basement, corner shop below the start of escalator. u need to buy the underwater bag as well. they got sell too.

say ah Leong (3rd pitch) intro.

The spirit of sharing...

Singapore Reef Club – We are an online discussion community which aim to provide quality information about setting up and keeping a marine reef aquarium. By joining us as a members, you will be able to learn and share your experience in this hobby and at the same time making some friends here !! We hope by educating the public about the marine hobby, we will be able to create greater awareness of the fragility of our coral reefs as well as loving each and every living fish / corals we purchase as a responsible reefer.

• SRC Member

u can get one from slt. basement, corner shop below the start of escalator. u need to buy the underwater bag as well. they got sell too.

say ah Leong (3rd pitch) intro.

Seller just replied me mentioning that : " it is around 220~240lm per watt, so the total lumen is about 4200-4500lm ."

Is this too high to be true? will it be too bright for my corals?

If you do buy this light, make sure it doesn't get too hot. Most LED fail because of heat.

Other than that, it should have no problem growing corals. My advice is to go for the wider lens.

Seller mentioned that it does have a cooling fan inside. how hot its gonna be, i'll have to try it before i know..

What angle lens should i go for? they have 60/90 and 120.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway guys, for corals like Zoas, Yumas and other easy softies. to bring out their color more, should i go for 4 blue 3 white or 5 blue 2 white?

Does corals need more blue or more white lights?

Seller just replied me mentioning that : " it is around 220~240lm per watt, so the total lumen is about 4200-4500lm ."

Is this too high to be true? will it be too bright for my corals?

Seller mentioned that it does have a cooling fan inside. how hot its gonna be, i'll have to try it before i know..

What angle lens should i go for? they have 60/90 and 120.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway guys, for corals like Zoas, Yumas and other easy softies. to bring out their color more, should i go for 4 blue 3 white or 5 blue 2 white?

Does corals need more blue or more white lights?

I suggest you get the widest lens, i.e 90 or 120 since you are growing softies and go for 5 blue 2 white to get a 14k-20k look. White LED are very bright and will easily wash out the blue. Hang the light high when first starting so as not to burn your softies.

• SRC Member

Just purchase a set with the following specs :

5 blue (460nm) 2 white (10000k) BridgeLux 3 watt LED

90 Degree lenses.

Also bought some E27 adapter and extensions.. cant wait for them to arrive! will update here :D

post here lei

The spirit of sharing...

• SRC Member

Anyway heres the link to the lights.. if its not allowed, mod pls remove it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E27-21W-4RED-3BLUE-High-Power-LED-Grow-Light-Lamp-For-Flowering-Plant-Hydro-Veg-/121070212848?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3058d6f0

adapters to UK plug and E27 extensions can be bought from ebay as well.. for my set, everything bought from ebay.. i also bought a 1 to 2 E27 adapter.. might be thinking of buying a 4watt multi-color + dimmable LED light to play around with the colors..

• SRC Member

only just 5 days later, my item has arrived!

Body.

2013-02-28222955_zpsac764149.jpg

5 blue 2 white

DSC02830_zpsac05d89c.jpg

only had a E27 socket in my house but its in my yard.. so used that for testing.. light penetrated all the way down 7ft! worried might be too bright for my tank now.. haha

2013-02-28222001_zps34ed909a.jpg

Anyway how to see if it has a 90 degree lens?

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Just an update to those still interested.. i've waited 3 weeks for the light holder from ebay to come and i've wait till neck very long already.. thanks to a reefer who posted saying a shop behind marinelife do sell E27 holders, went there to purchase one.. quality not to bad for the price..

However upon fixing up the light.. noticed the lenses made the light too strong and narrow.. i doubt its a 90 degree lens actually.. forgot to take a photo of the actual tank image with the lens on but it only covered the center leaving the side almost dark.. and im sure the corals in the center will burn in minutes due to it brightness.

I removed the lens and ran the light without the lens.. and here's the result. light is about 4 - 5 inch above water level. the holder is not too strong and thus unable to raise anymore.. and im wondering if its because our eyes are less sensitive to blue thats why i find the tank dimmer? though it has 1 more 3W led compared to the beamswork.. Nonetheless, this light set does provide much better and look to the tank..

Taken with note 2.

2013-03-18230354_zps905e6230.jpg

more accurate brightness of the actual tank and color.. taken with DSLR.

DSC02886_zpsf11304e4.jpg

Just to show an illustration, this was taken when my beamswork is still on.. do note that it appears slightly more blueish when i use my note 2 to take.. in actual its more white.

20130314_220342_zps13f41fbb.jpg

My review so far on this LED is :

Pros : nice build and feels pretty solid.

compact and does not take so much space up.

Cons : Lens too narrow.. probably have to raise the light to at least 30cm above water level, however my tank's in cabinet so unable to do so.

No dimming, Switching of light function.. my beamswork can switch to only the blue but this cannot.

No fans inside. Only a very small adapter/converter found in the light set..

will run a for a few days to see if my corals are happy..

cool. does it produce alot of heat? you can self install a dimmer, find them easily at electrical store. if unsure, sls is a good place to go. $20+ - $30.

The spirit of sharing...

• SRC Member

yesterday only manage to test for around 3 hours period.. produce of heat is almost none when i put my hand near the bulbs.. the Heat sinks is warm to the touch too..Im not looking at dimming it now since i removed the lens..