Bio filtration, what do you use?

VelvetAirwaves

Hi all, as we all know biofiltration is a very big part of our reeding hobby, I would like to know who uses what and are the results that you have gotten satisfactory? (Excluding live rock)

I personally use Bioclean which is a combination of bio digest and bioptim.

So far the results for the past year are alright, and I manage to keep no3 below 10 ppm.

• SRC Member

i've been a fan of seachem purigen since i started using it last year in my fresh water set up.

in my new 34L tank, i started using it when my tank's cycled is done.. at that time my no3 was 40ppm. which is really high.. probably due to the cubes of mysis shrimps i threw in weeks ago..

so i added in seachem purigen (half bottle of the 250g bottle) and within 1 week, no3 drop to 20ppm.. and again, 1 week later, i did a 20% WC and one day after the WC, i measured my no3 to be 0 - 5ppm.. cant really determined either because the API color chart shows 5ppm when u put the glass tube against the white back ground but 0ppm when u hold it up right..

i also keep biohome plus in my hang on filter.. together with rowaphos.

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

Haha, just to clarify, using nutrient absorbing media falls under chemical filtration, but since the topic has been brought up, I use pura complete, so far the results are satisfactory, I am able to keep po4 and no3 at a minimal I.e below 5 ppm.

I believe alot of the reefers use chemical filtration media as well, but in my case, chemical filtration is used as a back up, should there be a spike in nutrient level that the bacteria is not able to handle, the pura complete will. So far so good! :D

Is there actually a need for chemical filtration is a debatable question.

I use that b4 seem not really effective in my FOWLR but dunno for reef tank...If for me I would choose the sulphur to denitrate... biopellet and PO4 also recomended.

My 1st Tank (FOWLR)

4.5ft x 2.5ftx 3ft 15mm with Cabinet & Tank

2x Two Little Fishie 150 Reactor (Rowaphos & Rowacarbon)

1x Two Little Fishie 300 Reactor (Biopellet)

Reef Octupos SRO-3000INT Skimmer

Teco Chiller TR20 1/3hp with UV

Vortech MP40ES Wavemotion

JBJ auto top-up

Eheim 1264 Return Pump

9 Stage Ro Water

Neptunes Sys Aqua Controller (PH, ORP, Temp,Conductivity,Salinity and Email Alert)

Can keep my tank below 20ppm nitrate after 3 mth never change water due to oversea attachment and my bro feed the fish everyday 3 times also...and also my skimmer not even skimming 500ml after I came back to check everything including the parameter

My 1st Tank (FOWLR)

4.5ft x 2.5ftx 3ft 15mm with Cabinet & Tank

2x Two Little Fishie 150 Reactor (Rowaphos & Rowacarbon)

1x Two Little Fishie 300 Reactor (Biopellet)

Reef Octupos SRO-3000INT Skimmer

Teco Chiller TR20 1/3hp with UV

Vortech MP40ES Wavemotion

JBJ auto top-up

Eheim 1264 Return Pump

9 Stage Ro Water

Neptunes Sys Aqua Controller (PH, ORP, Temp,Conductivity,Salinity and Email Alert)