Mandarin dragonet feeding question

• SRC Member

I got my pair from henry..

He trained for me, eating pallets and pods from my refugium. Save me the trouble to train and the danger of polluting the water... :thumbsup:

ya bro when i was considering getting the mandarin i read henry got pellet trained ones but only 2 i remember and they were sold fast! I have been visiting him as often as i can waiting for his next shipment to come in. Have only been reading good reviews about him in this forum. :thumbsup:

btw i found reef nutrition write up on cultivating their tigger pods here is the link

http://reefnutrition.com/tigger_pods_care.html

• SRC Member

Haiz mandarin looks skinnier... Been throwing in Copepods tigger pods n arcticpods but I am not sure if he is eating. Add to the fact he is always hiding withing my rocks n it's hard to spot him...

Haiz mandarin looks skinnier... Been throwing in Copepods tigger pods n arcticpods but I am not sure if he is eating. Add to the fact he is always hiding withing my rocks n it's hard to spot him...
How long have u been keeping? Initially they are shy in new environment, it will get better once settled.

• SRC Member

i tried using frozen brine shrimp and based on what others say here, i don't think it works. Maybe some dragonet different personality one. haha

Niway, I am cooking live brine shrimp see if it works.

• SRC Member

he has been in my tank for about two weeks plus. just saw him today...definately skinnier.

been overfeeding my acti pods but he doesnt seem to like them...

cope pods is 2 packs every sunday from ah beng...looks like i got to try and buy more.

still in the midst of trying to cultivate the actipods. first attempt failed.

I got my mandarin from AM. Surprisingly it takes in brine shrimp instantly. :yahoo:

My Simple Tank Spec

Main Tank LPS and Softies 4x2x2.5ft

Sump Tank 2.5x1.5x1.5ft with lots of LR

Remote Sump Tank 2x1x1ft dsb refugium with chaeto, mangroves and Gracilaria curtissae macroalgae

DIY LED with 6x 3W Blue and 6x 3W White main tank light

DIY LED with 1x 3W Blue and 1x 3W Red refugium light

DIY LED 1x 1W Blue moonlighting

Now convert to skimmerless Tank

1 x Rio 14HF Return Pump

1 x SunSun JVP-102 wavemaker

1 x 2x1 vertical Algae Turf Scrubber with 2x 10W LED Warm White

• SRC Member

I bought a totally untrained mandarin from Henry. The fish is very active and in good shape, but he's almost decimated all the pods in my tank already (I had a couple thousand pods I think, based on visual estimation...cultivated by pouring in a bag from Ah Beng and allowing the tank to sit fishless for 6 weeks). Now can only see a few tens left.

I've been throwing in a small amount of pellets daily but to no avail so far. He chases some bits of frozen mysis that I feed my super sun corals with, but I haven't actually seen him eat them yet. I'm thinking of adding in a firefish or clownfish that's already mysis/pellet trained to "teach" him to eat...some people have reported good results with this method too.

I think if my pods really deplete, I may have no choice but to start hatching bbs... or keep up with the frozen mysis and hope he starts to eat them. Would be a waste for such a healthy and active fellow to eventually starve to death :(

• SRC Member

Mandarin picture from 2 days back. is he too skinny?

post-19782-0-06941900-1365054630_thumb.j

seems better to me now. at least i see him moving about pecking on rocks. tank seems to have more copepods. when i tried to insert a frag plug into the hole and remove i see copepods coming out. same case as with my "refugium". after turning it off during feeding, upon turning on i see lots of copepods flowing down.

post-19782-0-12149300-1365054846_thumb.j

I have also added henry gourmet to the my feeding routing. skimmer been busy since i feed lots...hehe articpods, zooplankton, pellet, phytofeast, oyster feast, phytocare.

• SRC Member

I bought a totally untrained mandarin from Henry. The fish is very active and in good shape, but he's almost decimated all the pods in my tank already (I had a couple thousand pods I think, based on visual estimation...cultivated by pouring in a bag from Ah Beng and allowing the tank to sit fishless for 6 weeks). Now can only see a few tens left.

I've been throwing in a small amount of pellets daily but to no avail so far. He chases some bits of frozen mysis that I feed my super sun corals with, but I haven't actually seen him eat them yet. I'm thinking of adding in a firefish or clownfish that's already mysis/pellet trained to "teach" him to eat...some people have reported good results with this method too.

I think if my pods really deplete, I may have no choice but to start hatching bbs... or keep up with the frozen mysis and hope he starts to eat them. Would be a waste for such a healthy and active fellow to eventually starve to death :(

i've tried fresh live baby brine shrimp. my mandarin doesn't even look at it.. ive read most people train them in a breeding net and feed live adult brine. but now cant find adult brine anywhere in sg..

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :