My very first LION!

• SRC Member

Hi all bro. just moved all my LS from my QT to the main tank so 3ft QT tank empty liaoz. So went to Pasir Ris yesterday and got a lion arount 6inches in size. Would like advise from bros.

How often should I feed him and how much??

Got some live FW fishes to feed but know that it not enough as FW fish lacks certain vatimins or something. so anyone know where can get some cheap SW fishes for feeding?? Or alternative food.

Thanks. :lol:

post-8-1075666557.jpg

• SRC Member

just feed it fishes and live shrimps. I dun think you can feed anything dead coz I doubt the shop owner ever did wean the lion to dead food. Not much we can do with vitamins. You might want to try letting the live food swim in vitamin solution first then feeding it to the lion. Thats what I do too :P . Let the guppies or mollies swim in garlic solution then let it into the tank.

Frequency of feeding depends. For mine, I just keep puting those fishes inside until its full then leave one inside to swim. Lions do not overfeed. Once they are full they refuse to eat. I say, with the fish that size, I say more that 5 fishes a day.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

or maybe got $$ go buy some clowns to feed it lor.... hehe

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

• SRC Member

Lions can be weaned to accept frozen or non-live food, and I encourage you to do so, because its much more convenient to find frozen food. My 3" dwarf has been eating frozen mysis and brine. It took me more than 2 weeks to start this diet. Now anything dropped into the tank looks like food to him. I have not tried dropping lettuce though. :lol:

• SRC Member

Thanks bros for the respone. :lol:

Wah 5 fishes a day! was thinking of feeding clown fish but that would cost 5 bucks a day leh!! ta boleh tahan!! ke ke.....

I need to landscape the tank also. now very messy. Just hope he dont treat my hand as food!! :fear:

Any of you bros got cheapt source of narine feeder fishes??

Was thinking of adding a trigger inside. Anyone has any experience??

• SRC Member
Thanks bros for the respone.  :lol:

Wah 5 fishes a day! was thinking of feeding clown fish but that would cost 5 bucks a day leh!! ta boleh tahan!! ke ke.....

I need to landscape the tank also. now very messy. Just hope he dont treat my hand as food!!  :fear:

Any of you bros got cheapt source of narine feeder fishes??

Was thinking of adding a trigger inside. Anyone has any experience??

Really.. A small lion already eat 2 - 3 a day..

Dun worry, they dun bite. They only swallow food.. they wouldn't bother if things are too big. What you need to worry about is their spines.. its supposed to be poisonous..

marine live feeders are not available leh.. also looking for it. Closes is mollies coz they are supposed to be able to live in salt water for quite long. Someone said their ancestors are saltwater fishes. Dun bother to try live brine shrimps for you fish.. even mine dun eat it. Probably because too small. Messy too.

• SRC Member

You have to wean it to feed on prepared food. Feeding it live food is not neccessary. In fact, it should only be an occasional treat. Lions do not have to be fed everyday, you can feed them on alternate days. Triggers cannot be placed in the same tank as lions as they will harrass the lion to death.

• SRC Member

Guess I have to seek alternatives liao lor. Twill try market prawns. so much easier with frozen food. dont have to keep another tank just to keep the fish.

Hmm... trigger cannot than maybe get a big angel ke ke... like majestic or emperor. :lol:

Your mean those live one we feed the fishes with?? abit small right?? plus even more lache then feeding fished leh. dont stay alive very long and not easy to find constant supple. :o

the freshwater shrimps I do kep them when I was keeping lionfishes a long time ago. What I do is get a air pump(lowpowered ones) kept them in a 1ft cube in the toilet.....I just feed them some pellets everynow and then, and change water every few days...

This keeps them alive for a long time....

I prefer feeding freshwater shrimps as they are more sensitive to diease, feeder fishes are more tolerance to dieases as they are normally raised in harsh conditions(like the tiny frogs). So they may carry with them dieases that are quite domain for a while. Last thing I want to see is my pretty lions getting sick because of them ;)

• SRC Member
Thats wat I thought. guess I have to train it to eat prawn. What are you guys keeping with the liions??

I have an angler with my dwarf. So far they do not hassle each other. The only problem is that I always need to chase away the dwarf when feeding the angler. If not my angler's food will end up in the dwarf's stomach. :lol:

• SRC Member

But mine is not a dwarf leh. Big bugger. Wonder what can I keep. Currently the tank is bare. Running a eheim canister filter. Will be putting a weipro 2013 tomorrow. As for the scapping. Thinking of puttin 4-5inch of #0 sand and 10-20kg of live rocks. Dont wanna put too much rocks cos the lion is big and dont wanna restrict it's movement.

The tank has been running for 3nths liao with the canister and liverock but the live rock has since been moved to the main tank. Souldnt have sold the 2013. now have to get another one. sianz..... <_<