Need help with Skimz SH1 - microbubbles

Hello,

I've recently started a 125L marine tank to keep corals and a few small fishes. Tank is still cycling. I'm totally new to the hobby (marine) but not to fish keeping.

Anyhow, I've recently added a Skimz SH1 protein skimmer. This skimmer is producing lots of microbubbles - LOTS. At first, the microbubbles pour out from the small hole at the back of housing and the gap where the airline hose and power cord enter the skimmer housing. I've since applied silicon to cover the hole and gap but now microbubbles come out from bottom of the housing despite the foam pad. This is my first ever protein skimmer so I may be using it wrong.

I saw a Youtube video of this skimmer in operation - it was totally different from mine i.e. the bubbles are confined to the cyclindrical tube within the housing.

Please advise if you know how to resolve the problem. I would hate to replace this skimmer when it hasn't rendered any service to me. In the meantime, I'll let it run for a few days and monitor the situation.

Thank you.

• 1 year later...
  • SRC Member

Get us A Video..Can Help you more..yeah might be tuning too..note is the bubbles coming from skimmer outlet?

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

Hello, *Tagging along* I'm using the same skimmer as you, and there are microbubbles coming out from the skimmer at the start, but after adjusting the air flow and a few days later, it decreases and disappear. But it is still working well, brown foam in the cup and stuff.

This may only happen in the initial break-in period of the skimmer. Once the skimmer has break-in, minimal micro bubbles should escape from the skimmer outlet.

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same problem as you and it have been running for a week now. Talked with someone at Skimz. And they says that is normal during the cycle period .

But here's a video that I uploaded to YouTube

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5_Dtxi5rERs

But what about the noise level of the skimmer ?

Does any if you have the same buzzing sound ?

It's kind of to much actually ?

• 1 year later...
Guest fishy

Reviving this old post i just bought one and I'm having the same problem. The little hole at the back of the skimmer is for the air pipe to go through. It's been 2 days now so hopefully it will break in soon.

• SRC Member

Hi I just bought one SH-1 from AM and I also encounter the same problem and another problem is that the skimmer doesn't seems to skim anything out of my tank even though it has been running for more than 24hrs.