Ich on my Tangs! Please Help!

• 2 months later...
  • SRC Member

Will getting a cleaner wrass help?

best is to get a good specimen to begin with. Acclimatize correctly, feed it well and build its immunity. Let them fight off naturally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

Will getting a cleaner wrass help?

NO.

COMMON SENSE - your fish have a fish-only disease. How does adding a susceptible fish help?

You're assuming this fish is a 100% EFFECTIVE predator of marine ich - IT IS NOT. Their main diet is isopods and flukes from dozens, possibly hundreds of clients. Do you have this many fish in your tank?

I am now in the 5th day of copper treatment with cupramine. Lost my royal gramma, sunburst and PBT before treatment started. I have a 30l toyogo tub and taking it slow - 2 drops of cupramine per day for 12 days to reduce stress on the surviving fishes. So far so good, and after this, all fishes have to go thru quarantine for sure.

I am now in the 5th day of copper treatment with cupramine. Lost my royal gramma, sunburst and PBT before treatment started. I have a 30l toyogo tub and taking it slow - 2 drops of cupramine per day for 12 days to reduce stress on the surviving fishes. So far so good, and after this, all fishes have to go thru quarantine for sure.

There's a very tight margin of error for copper use, so you need to know exact volume of the container you are using. Too little, ich survives. Too much, fish die. Sounds like you're using the display tank for treatment. If you're going to QT any way, why have they not been removed already?

This is why I advocate bucket/tank transfer. Anyone can do it properly.

There's a very tight margin of error for copper use, so you need to know exact volume of the container you are using. Too little, ich survives. Too much, fish die. Sounds like you're using the display tank for treatment. If you're going to QT any way, why have they not been removed already?

This is why I advocate bucket/tank transfer. Anyone can do it properly.

No, i'm not using the DT for treatment. The surviving fishes have been caught and placed in the toyogo tub. I have a copper test kit which i'm using everyday.

Do you have a link of what exactly the bucket/tank transfer treatment is?

tEc" post="1167905" timestamp="1396119787"]Actually hypo treatment is the one with narrow margin. For seachem copper, the effective range for killing ich is 0.2 to 0.5. It is very diff for u to miss this range.
My copper reading is now at 0.3, I'm dripping 2 drops a day instead of half at a go. Since have to wait 8 weeks on my DT.

• SRC Member
My copper reading is now at 0.3, I'm dripping 2 drops a day instead of half at a go. Since have to wait 8 weeks on my DT.
0.3 is good enough to kill ich. Just have to monitor and make sure it doesnt get out of the range.

You're already doing copper, so just stick with it. Hypo requires 1.009 maximum, any lower and you risk damaging fish. I don't advocate hypo nor copper due to damage to fish. Actually, any treatment plan will stress fish so you have to weigh risk/benefit of each procedure.

Here's the link for TT

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/blog.php?b=508

• 2 weeks later...

You're already doing copper, so just stick with it. Hypo requires 1.009 maximum, any lower and you risk damaging fish. I don't advocate hypo nor copper due to damage to fish. Actually, any treatment plan will stress fish so you have to weigh risk/benefit of each procedure.

Here's the link for TT

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/blog.php?b=508

Thanks bro, after reading the article, still not exactly sure how its been done. LOL