Epoxy and Skimmer

• SRC Member

Hi,

used epoxy yesterday and my skimmer is still going berserk today (less than a minute for it to fill up and overflow). when it is sitted inside the sump, i used to have it at lowest point already as such i cant lower it anymore. i have just converted it to a hang on skimmer however, the bracket holding it is not really the most secure. did a google read up and it says most people have it for a day yet some forums have peeps complaining after 4 days!

1. any idea how long it will take for the skimmer to go back to normal?

2. is there anyway i can fasten the process? i already did a 30% water change.

3. would my tank be affected without the skimmer?

1. any idea how long it will take for the skimmer to go back to normal?

Happened to me before when I use putty... much worse because aside from skimmer overflowing, there are microbubbles also everywhere. Usually takes a few days to subside and be back to normal. If you use a lot of epoxy, then it will take a longer period until the epoxy cures. Next time, better to use glue gel instead.

2. is there anyway i can fasten the process? i already did a 30% water change.

No other way bro but to wait till it cures. Better to do small partial water change 10% everyday till you see improvements.

3. would my tank be affected without the skimmer?

Since you're doing water change then should be ok, but reduce feeding.

did u allow the epoxy to be 100% cured (harden) before putting them back into the tank?

The spirit of sharing...

always remember forum is like its name - forum

Singapore Reef Club – We are an online discussion community which aim to provide quality information about setting up and keeping a marine reef aquarium. By joining us as a members, you will be able to learn and share your experience in this hobby and at the same time making some friends here !! We hope by educating the public about the marine hobby, we will be able to create greater awareness of the fragility of our coral reefs as well as loving each and every living fish / corals we purchase as a responsible reefer.

• SRC Member

did u allow the epoxy to be 100% cured (harden) before putting them back into the tank?

Nope. bought anemones and the rock came free. Was a nice piece so i thought i would keep it.

Happened to me before when I use putty... much worse because aside from skimmer overflowing, there are microbubbles also everywhere. Usually takes a few days to subside and be back to normal. If you use a lot of epoxy, then it will take a longer period until the epoxy cures. Next time, better to use glue gel instead.

I am now on glue gel zzzzzzzzZZZZZ. Accidently hit one of my supporting rock while adding in some zoas... end up the epoxy would not fit back haha...

end up using some zoas with frag plug and glue to hold everything together... hope no mishap.....u can see the glue portion near the front of the rock.

post-19782-0-45268600-1365761028_thumb.j

• SRC Member

just off the skimmer for a day or two and do some water changes. it happens if you apply uncured epoxy.

thanks skimmer almost back to normal now... raised it heights and slowly lower down over the day. No more epoxy for me....

u just need to apply the correct method when using epoxy. especially when dealing with large pieces of rock. epoxy is much cheaper.

The spirit of sharing...

always remember forum is like its name - forum

Singapore Reef Club – We are an online discussion community which aim to provide quality information about setting up and keeping a marine reef aquarium. By joining us as a members, you will be able to learn and share your experience in this hobby and at the same time making some friends here !! We hope by educating the public about the marine hobby, we will be able to create greater awareness of the fragility of our coral reefs as well as loving each and every living fish / corals we purchase as a responsible reefer.