Eheim for external usage

Black

Hi there

I have 3 eheim pumps in my sump, 2x1260 n 1x1262, they r mainly used for skimmer, chiller n return. I m thinking of drilling holes in my sump n run them externally. B4 doing it, I wud like to have some advises or considerations to take note Wat I notice is that...currently if I off the switch, my return pump backflow water thru n out of my pump until it reaches the sifon break. Will water be backflow out of my eheim pump when there is a power failure. Yr advise n comments please. Thanks.

• SRC Member

Check valves is a must! You can try this without drilling your sump first. use pvc to create a shipon to the inlet from the sump to feed the pump.

Make sure you get the hoose size correct and double check your piping and pump connection. Monitor it as it could drip slowly. Put a union valve before the inlet and also after the output. so that you can switch it off and take out the pump for servicing. Try to use unions to make it removable and use hoose to connect the pump to the pipe instead of piping all the way. as the pvc have to be glued, if have to take out, have to saw liaoz...

• SRC Member
Hi there

I have 3 eheim pumps in my sump, 2x1260 n 1x1262, they r mainly used for skimmer, chiller n return.  I m thinking of drilling holes in my sump n run them externally. B4 doing it, I wud like to have some advises or considerations to take note Wat I notice is that...currently if I off the switch, my return pump backflow water thru n out of my pump until it reaches the sifon break.  Will water be backflow out of my eheim pump when there is a power failure.  Yr advise n comments please.  Thanks.

Have been using my E-heim 1260 since start up 1 week ago. Using just 26mm hoses for suction and 16mm hoses for discharge to PVC return piping before the ball valve. Have tested for power failure, so far no issue of overflowing the sump.

Key is the length of your return pvc in the overflow compartment, it should be just nice at the level of the overflow so if the pump fails, the siphon will break almost immediately, only the water inside the pvc pipe will flow down to the sump. The external useage help me cut down 2 degrees. E-heim is damn hot. Below is a pic.

Just ordered a external suction head for my sicce extrema, will convert my skimmer pump to external to farther help cut down on the temperture.

post-9-1075886884.jpg

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

• SRC Member

watch out for those 1262. They do generate quite a bit of heat. My friend and I put one in a 4 x 2.5 x 1.25 tub to cure live rocks and it can push the temperature up to 32c. We switched to eden power head and temperature drop down to 29 Just want to share

• SRC Member

how sure are u that the green pipe will not burst since flwrate so strong? notice that there is no metal rings to secure to the return pvcs unlike the those at the suction part!

what diameter of piping and pvc are u using and how much do the gate valve cost(the one with the blue tap)

• SRC Member
by the way does your hailea produce lots of heat(compared to ehiem)

which model are u using and how much did u get it? thanks

Why buy a fake? get the real thing. Haelia is a copy of the aquamedic Ocean Runner Series but they generate alot more heat than the originals. Anyway The Oceanrunner 6500 which pumps out 6500l/h is only 115 watts.

• SRC Member

The hailea was just something I have on hand. will be replacing it with a 1262 soon. planning to use 2 1262. And use the 1260 for my skimmer.

As for the ocean runner, no plan to spend that kinda of money for a non pressure rated pump. Would rather get a iwaki if going for the ocean runner.

Just that all come at once so must slow things down. Just got the MH, chiller and 5ft tank last month.

• SRC Member

As for the heat created by the hailea. similar to the eheim. They are just warm to the touch. The green tube is glued to the pvc pipe. But can still put hose clamp if kiasu. well maybe not a bad ideal! the typical kiasu singaporean!! ke ke

• SRC Member

k thanks blenny

tanggy: the iwaki is far more ex than the ocean runner rite or am i wrong and the ocean runner runs on lower wattage and since its only for return usage only, why bother a pressure rated pump?difference is ard>100W btw iwaki and oceanrunner for the same flowrate?

1262 like very weak when at 4-5 feet high.get a higher flowrate since u got such a big tank! ha ha too kiasu liao!

• SRC Member

For your info, the ocean runner not that much better. Max head only 3.8m similiar to the 1264. All non presure rated pump loose flow when height is increase. This is why my pump is directly below the overflow to reduce the length the water have to flow through. As for the iwaki. can get friend to hand carry from the states. 600+. But at least you will be sure that you are getting the 6000lt/hr into your tankand no loose half on the way. :)

• SRC Member

If I am not wrong The list price for Ocean Runner 3500 is about $290 and Ocean Runner 6500 is about $350. Please check with aqua mart on new pricing because of the escalating euros.

I know iwakis are good but 600+ is almost 2 x 6500. I am using an iwaki for my freshwater and they are alright. But I guess with ocean runner prices, i may be better with them.

FYI, I don't own aquamart or have any shares in it.

If interested can contact Octo in this forum for price

• SRC Member
how sure are u that the green pipe will not burst since flwrate so strong? notice that there is no metal rings to secure to the return pvcs unlike the those at the suction part!

what diameter of piping and pvc are u using and how much do the gate valve cost(the one with the blue tap)

Rubber hose can take up to super high pressure, plus the fact that your return pipe if open through there's hardly any back pressure so not possible for rubber hose to burst.

James

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

• SRC Member
If I am not wrong The list price for Ocean Runner 3500 is about $290 and Ocean Runner 6500 is about $350. Please check with aqua mart on new pricing because of the escalating euros.

I know iwakis are good but 600+ is almost 2 x 6500. I am using an iwaki for my freshwater and they are alright. But I guess with ocean runner prices, i may be better with them.

FYI, I don't own aquamart or have any shares in it.

If interested can contact Octo in this forum for price

Dont mean that la. Just i saw one going for 400+. thought it was too expensive. The wattage looks attractive but as with all things. High pressure also means high wattage. Well. I am still undecided on the pump. will try one eheim and see how lor.

Worse come to worse use the resun clone lor.... :lol: