Maxspect razor 120w question

Slayer213

Hi fellow reefers! I have been using razor120 for a few months now and have been keeping mostly lps. I use to set the razor to 30%white and 100%blue at its brightest hours, becos i like the bluish effect and the colors on my zoas and lps looks great. Recently i decide to try out some sps... I have gotten myself frags of a pink millie, ssc, chilli pepper monti, blue enchinata and green bn. Now i set my razor to 65%w and 100%b. i know leds are not the best lightings for sps, but i really like this piece of equipment! Will 65%white be sufficient to keep sps? Im not expecting the sps to thrive, just surviving alone will do... Has anyone got any experience in keeping sps using razor120? Please advice... Thanks!!

Buy fish that excite YOU, and respect others' passions.

Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one were talking about. - John Coppolino

• SRC Member

the razor is well known to be one of the better LED fixture you can get... did u increase the white light at one go? it is better to increase 5 - 10% per week.. 35% increase in white may shock your zoas.. do note that LEDs with optics are strong.. some may bleach SPS when set too high..

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

I agree with bro grouper that you should gradually ramp up your light intensity output to prevent shocking your corals, which may react adversely by bleaching.

• Like 1

Aquarium 3 - 250 liters with sump and refugium

Jebao DC 6000 pump with speed controller

Skimz skimmer

AI Hydra 52 HD

Hailea HS-66A (1/4 hp) chiller

Maxspect Gyre

TLF Phosban reactors with Phosban

Tunze nano osmolator

Marine Magic Triplet Dosing

Aquarium 1 - 27 litres

Atman HF-0600 HOB filter

Maxspect Razor Nano 60W (10,000 K)

AOL 60 litres chiller

Tunze Nano Osmolator

Hi, thanks for the advice... I did gradually increase the intensity, its at 65% now, and i notice that my acans are not as vibrant as before, kinda turning palelish... Could it be that the lights being too strong even running at 65%? Can i lower the intensity to, say, 40%? Will i still be able to keep sps under low intensity razor led lights?? Thanks

Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one were talking about. - John Coppolino

• SRC Member

I believe your acan is bleaching.. Either u Shift it down to the sand bed. Ur u lower the intensity.. How far away is the light from your water level? 40cm height isn't that tall, I'm sure 40% won't be a problem if u kept the sps higher up in the tank.. I've read lots of people underestimate the power of razors and a lot of them end up bleaching all their corals when they first used.

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

Yah, thats what i thought also... My lights is about 30cm above water level... As its a small tank my acans are also about the same position as my sps, on the higer level... I have turn the intensity down to 55%, will keep monitoring. Will lower sone more if require... I have a maxima clam on the sandbed... Will it get enuff light if 40%??? Btw... ever since i boost the intensity to 65%, im having a bloom of brown slime alge... had a hard time siphoning out everyday, its everywhere... sucks to have a small tank... Thank bros...

Hi bro, mines only a 2 ft, so most things are quite close together... So i dun have the luxury to position my coral in optimal positions, so i have to make do.... Can sps survive at 45%?? 70% is too bright for my acans one of it is bleaching already...

Btw my sps is about 30cm to light, not water level, thanks

Btw my sps is about 30cm to light, not water level, thanks

I used to have a Razor 120w for my 2 feetx2feetx2.5feet. I place it 1 feet above water level. SPS (digitata and monti) are 1.5 feet away from light. Seems doing well. Acan also about same area.. doing well too. My maxima clam at bottom (my tank height 2.5 feet). Growing too. Only thing is my zoas seems need higher position.. coz at bottom means its about 3 feet plus away from the light. My setting was max 60% white and 100% blue.

Thanks bro... I will try it at 45% and see how it goes, my zoas seems to be doing well, sps not grpwing but polyps are out, seems ok... The only thing is my acans are getting pale...

Yah... I guess that my only option... But being a 2ft, i aint got much space to move ard... Time to rescape... Thanks guys