Calcium powder @ iwarna

Evolutionz

• SRC Member

Hey guys, i bought some calcium powder from iwarna, anyone know if they are Calcium Chloride Dihydrate or are they Anhydrous Calcium (CaCl2)?

Thanks!

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

• SRC Member

Thanks bro.

i just did a test.. according to reef chemistry calculator, if the calcium powder from iwarna were to be Anhydrous Calcium i would need 7.5g (1.5tsp) to increase 10ppm whereas for calcium chloride dihydrate, i will need 9.7g to increase 10ppm. I just added 7.5g mixed with DI water and tested my water with salifert test kit, turns out to be an increment of 10ppm.. so my guess is that it is anhydrous calcium.

• SRC Member

Can also get from gemsurf

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk2

Thanks, i know gemsurf sell anhydrous calcium but since i was at iwarna that day and they sell in smaller packs, so bought from them instead.

• SRC Member

Haha... I normally just mix, dose and test... From there i know how much more to dose liao... <br /><br />But anyway good info and research... If i remembered correctly the label on the shelf states CaCl but urs like more scientific

:: just a noob ::

• SRC Member

Set up dosing pump lor... Long term solution and provide more constant regular replenishment

no budget and space for such expensive toys yet.. will manual dose for now :D

I wont recommend dosing unless your tank is going to be brimming with sps. Nothing to consume the calcium so only to cause you more money and don't forget, chloride ions lower salinity if if overdose.

So little benefits, I'll rather go change water till the day comes when wc cannot upkeep the consumption then I'll start dosing.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• SRC Member

Agree... Only when necessary... But when the time comes, a dosing pump will be more ideal vs manual...<br /><br />My dosing helps to replace evaporated water and acts like my ato but thats also only possible as my dosing amt is gg thru the roof now... Sigh...

• SRC Member

I wont recommend dosing unless your tank is going to be brimming with sps. Nothing to consume the calcium so only to cause you more money and don't forget, chloride ions lower salinity if if overdose.

So little benefits, I'll rather go change water till the day comes when wc cannot upkeep the consumption then I'll start dosing.

Thanks, right now Ca is being consumed at around 10ppm per day... have been measuring for some time to find the sweet spot to dose.. WC cannot keep up as of now.

Agree... Only when necessary... But when the time comes, a dosing pump will be more ideal vs manual...<br /><br />My dosing helps to replace evaporated water and acts like my ato but thats also only possible as my dosing amt is gg thru the roof now... Sigh...

How much are you dosing right now?

• SRC Member

10ppm actually using high quality salt and multiple changes should be able to support... Take into consideration everytime u wc u r topping up also so u might want to "less off" the dosing to account for water change...<br /><br />Mg + ca + kh about 600+ml/day to maintain approx 1380,420 & 7.5 respectively...

• SRC Member

10ppm actually using high quality salt and multiple changes should be able to support... Take into consideration everytime u wc u r topping up also so u might want to "less off" the dosing to account for water change...<br /><br />Mg + ca + kh about 600+ml/day to maintain approx 1380,420 & 7.5 respectively...

Thanks, currently using Red Sea Coral Pro salt at 10% once every 2 weeks. May change to 5% Everyweek.. Wow thats really alot!

What you keep in your tank? any big sps? 5" clams?

If 10ppm is due to just coralline algae, then I wont recommend dosing just for visual aspect.

Anyway fyi lps consume v little calcium.

10% water change? good regime but whats the volume are we looking at?

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

And not forgetting kalk removes some phosphate while vinegar is a source of carbon dosing.

1 serving above can easily last you a week or more depending on your dosing methods. and at best the cost price maybe $0.005?

Also if you dose CaCl only dont forget to measure up your kh and mag levels. They will 'run' if you dose CaCl alone.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• SRC Member

What you keep in your tank? any big sps? 5" clams?

If 10ppm is due to just coralline algae, then I wont recommend dosing just for visual aspect.

Anyway fyi lps consume v little calcium.

10% water change? good regime but whats the volume are we looking at?

some SPS colonies and some SPS frags, a 5" corcea clam.

My tank is a 120x60x36 with a 50x35x45cm sump, after minusing liverocks sand etc etc. total water volume is at 260L.

i do 30L once per 2 weeks.

Alternatively I'll just dose kalk mixed with vinegar (1 tsp with 15ml vinegar ratio) every other night.

Cheap, easy to install/diy and hassle free

Im doing carbon dosing of vinegar daily, i read kalk need to drip slowly if not will affect pH too much if i chose to dose manually.. after some reading i decided to go with 2-part dosing instead..

• SRC Member

And not forgetting kalk removes some phosphate while vinegar is a source of carbon dosing.

1 serving above can easily last you a week or more depending on your dosing methods. and at best the cost price maybe $0.005?

Also if you dose CaCl only dont forget to measure up your kh and mag levels. They will 'run' if you dose CaCl alone.

Yeah im keeping a look out for my kh and mag too. mag is fine and don't think i need to dose if i do 5% weekly, kH will need to monitor..

With your colonies and crocea I think kalk wont help.

Good one to go with dosing but like jxlex says go with a dosing pump.

I tried manual dosing before. Trust me its v hard to hit the sweet spot.

I ended up throwing powder into sump and f care because of the hasssle of hoping to find the sweet spot.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• SRC Member

With your colonies and crocea I think kalk wont help.

Good one to go with dosing but like jxlex says go with a dosing pump.

I tried manual dosing before. Trust me its v hard to hit the sweet spot.

I ended up throwing powder into sump and f care because of the hasssle of hoping to find the sweet spot.

yeah.. will be good to have a dosing pump but i guess for now i can only stick to manual dosing..

thanks for your advice ya..

• 7 months later...
  • SRC Member

Thanks bro.

i just did a test.. according to reef chemistry calculator, if the calcium powder from iwarna were to be Anhydrous Calcium i would need 7.5g (1.5tsp) to increase 10ppm whereas for calcium chloride dihydrate, i will need 9.7g to increase 10ppm. I just added 7.5g mixed with DI water and tested my water with salifert test kit, turns out to be an increment of 10ppm.. so my guess is that it is anhydrous calcium.

bro you hand dose?

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html