Advice needed on Marine Fish's resilience

• SRC Member

I have for many years been a freshwater aquarium guy so this being my first venture into marine aquarium, I m coming into the new realm with quite a few questions... need the sifus here to advise...

In freshwater aquarium, whenever the fish gets sick and the tank needs to be medicated (assuming that we do not have a spare hospital facility), we will tend to stop feeding the fresh water fish for the period of the treatment which could last from 7 - 10 days. I know for a fact that my freshwater angelfish and kois can even go without food for 1-2 months, no problems - call it detox. (other instances of no feeding could be due to water condition unstable, e.g. ammonia/nitrite spike, etc...)

However, recently, I heard a marine fish seller telling a customer that marine fish needs to be fed every day otherwise they will die. Can anybody kindly advise me whether this is myth or fact ?

Much appreciated. :huh:

• SRC Supporter

My experience tell me that marine fish can go without food from between 3 - 21 days depending on the size and types of fish. i.e for larger fish, they can last longer without food whereas for small nano fish anything more than 3 day would have starve them to death.

• 2 months later...