What will happen if i don't have a sump for 3 ft tank?

I've bought a 3ft x1.5 tank without a sump. But with 3 T8 lighting and a Top filter. This tank is for marine fishes like clownfish and some lps corals.

But i dont think the tank is able to have a sump. What am i suppose to do? Will i still be able to keep marine fish and lps corals without a sump?

Is it necessary to buy a Deltec protein skimmer or a canister filter to make up for the sump? pls advise !!
Pls tell me the pros and cons if possible.

Thanks in advance.

• SRC Member

Nothing is wrong to have a marine tank without a sump.

A sump in the cabinet is for

extra volume of water;

hide all your equipment;

can have refugium;

for filtration;

can act as staging place for live stock.

If your tank has IOS (internal overflow system); this portion can act as the sump;

You may want to buy a skimmer that can fit into this area.

If your tank does not have IOS;

You may consider to partition it to include IOS or get a hang on skimmer.

(-_-) Happy will do ... (o_o)

Nothing is wrong to have a marine tank without a sump.

A sump in the cabinet is for

extra volume of water;

hide all your equipment;

can have refugium;

for filtration;

can act as staging place for live stock.

If your tank has IOS (internal overflow system); this portion can act as the sump;

You may want to buy a skimmer that can fit into this area.

If your tank does not have IOS;

You may consider to partition it to include IOS or get a hang on skimmer.

My tank does not have IOS. What do i have to do ? Should i include IOS or just get a skimmer? Which is better?

• SRC Member

Alternatively you also can get an external overflow box if you really want a sump.

But it is all still up to yourself there's no right or wrong.

2x2x1.5

======

Maxspect Gyre

Maxspect Razer 120w 16k

H2O FR with Rowa

Eheim Universal 2400

BM Nac 5.5

JBJ Arctica 1/10Hp

• SRC Member

Ranking from simplest to hardest....

1. Simplest is just get a hang on skimmer; of course you can do without skimmer too; just change water more frequently.

2. Partition your tank to have IOS where you can put skimmer; some filtration media; put a pump for water circulation; can also add a pump for chiller if needed.

3. Like erikokelf said, get an overflow box and get a sump tank.

(-_-) Happy will do ... (o_o)

Ranking from simplest to hardest....

1. Simplest is just get a hang on skimmer; of course you can do without skimmer too; just change water more frequently.

2. Partition your tank to have IOS where you can put skimmer; some filtration media; put a pump for water circulation; can also add a pump for chiller if needed.

3. Like erikokelf said, get an overflow box and get a sump tank.

If i dont get anything, will my fishes or corals die faster? Which one do you think is the best and cheapest?

There are people who have maintained beautiful reef systems with non-sump tanks. But that comes with a lot of hard work and understanding of the way things work

The main objective I believe is to get your biological filtration up so that the waste which is produced by the organisms can be broken down properly.

Alternatively, you gotta be more hardworking doing water changes to remove waste. IMO, they are the most fool-proof method.

There are people who have maintained beautiful reef systems with non-sump tanks. But that comes with a lot of hard work and understanding of the way things work

The main objective I believe is to get your biological filtration up so that the waste which is produced by the organisms can be broken down properly.

Alternatively, you gotta be more hardworking doing water changes to remove waste. IMO, they are the most fool-proof method.

I don't mind doing water changes more frequently. I will begin water cycing tmr. So mean's i'll be able to maintain a good marine fish and corals aquarium if i dont have all that equipment? all i need to do is do more frequent WC right ?

That said, it also depends very much on what kind of livestock you wanna keep.

Cause different corals/fish have different requirements.

You would need to so more research an understanding of their needs

Hmm, i would mainly want to keep lps corals like hammer corals, anemones and elegance coral. and fishes would be clownfish and some blue tangs. So is it possible with just a canister filter?

• SRC Member

Advise from a fellow newbie (me)... Nothing is impossible. It is about how much time, effort and $$$ you are willing to invest. I believe everyone wants you to succeed when providing you advise. I'm still making mistakes and learning but I am enjoying the process. Just do it. :P FYI, I too started without sump, doing 2 water change per week with Hand On Back (HOB) skimmer and Eheim canister filter 2213.

Advise from a fellow newbie (me)... Nothing is impossible. It is about how much time, effort and $$$ you are willing to invest. I believe everyone wants you to succeed when providing you advise. I'm still making mistakes and learning but I am enjoying the process. Just do it. :P FYI, I too started without sump, doing 2 water change per week with Hand On Back (HOB) skimmer and Eheim canister filter 2213.

Wow that's nice, looks like we're some how on the same boat :P . How much did ur skimmer and canister cost?

• SRC Member
Wow that's nice, looks like we're some how on the same boat :P . How much did ur skimmer and canister cost?
As I was very new then, I got the Red Sea Prizm(~$245), does the job and has a compartment for running carbon for my small(nano) but was noisy. Changed to Bubble Magus NAC QQ (~$80), also does the job but quieter as it is hangon inside the display tank. If you are getting a skimmer, suggest you get a size larger. The canister was about $155, I think. I may have got all at a higher price as I did not check out the prices before buying.

Hmm, i would mainly want to keep lps corals like hammer corals, anemones and elegance coral. and fishes would be clownfish and some blue tangs. So is it possible with just a canister filter?

I suggest you start with FOWLR first and then see whether you want to start LPS as keeping LPS at least make water temperature below 28 degree and if water is too warm for them and when they start dying, the water will be polluted by dying LPS. That is why I'm having a sump for my 3 ft tank. Easier for water changes, water to export to chiller to cool. Otherwise u need many fans to cool the water.

I suggest you start with FOWLR first and then see whether you want to start LPS as keeping LPS at least make water temperature below 28 degree and if water is too warm for them and when they start dying, the water will be polluted by dying LPS. That is why I'm having a sump for my 3 ft tank. Easier for water changes, water to export to chiller to cool. Otherwise u need many fans to cool the water.

How many fans do u recommend? Whats FOWLR btw?

Fan will resulted high water evaporation meaning need to top up a lot daily else will effected your salinity level. Water parameter swing not good for the tank. Fowlr means fish only with live rock

Fan will resulted high water evaporation meaning need to top up a lot daily else will effected your salinity level. Water parameter swing not good for the tank. Fowlr means fish only with live rock

Alright, im thinking of filling my huge water bottle with water then i freeze in it the freezer, once its frozen i put that into the tank. it will reduce the temperature of the water to around 24 or 25 degrees. DIY " Chiller" Lol

Alright, im thinking of filling my huge water bottle with water then i freeze in it the freezer, once its frozen i put that into the tank. it will reduce the temperature of the water to around 24 or 25 degrees. DIY " Chiller" Lol
Then the bottle will be an eyesore to the tank.. How are u going to maintain the temperature if u are at work? Sleeping? Etc? The Erratic temperature fluctuate will not be good for the corals

Follow Alex's Reefing Journey @ 

Agree, future more water bottle will only able cool your 3ft tank < few minutes..thermal shock will not good for your live stock... In addition, each bottle will only able to last few time freezing, take note* most of the time will crack and water leak to your tank due to sudden change of temperature.. Salinity shock or contamination will become another issue. I suggest invest on Chiller, you will enjoy more..

Cheers and Happy Reefing

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

Agree, future more water bottle will only able cool your 3ft tank < few minutes..thermal shock will not good for your live stock... In addition, each bottle will only able to last few time freezing, take note* most of the time will crack and water leak to your tank due to sudden change of temperature.. Salinity shock or contamination will become another issue. I suggest invest on Chiller, you will enjoy more..

Cheers and Happy Reefing

But chillers are way too expensive.. lol Maybe i just on the aircon to keep the temperature cool.

• SRC Member

If you are on a budget get a second hand… Running saltwater so make sure you try to go for titanium type… Get a larger chiller (than your tank volume) so that it will chill faster resulting in lesser power. With a chiller get ready for higher electric bills… (mine went up by $100+)

Unlike a skimmer it is NOT a one off investment!

• SRC Member

I accidentally turned off my chiller for 2 weeks and here were the results (considering my Ammonia, NO2,NO3, PO4 readings are all low):

1. Tank temp ranged 29-30 deg celcius

2. Ich affected blue tang recovered !

3. Sand goby RIP

4. A few ZOA frags "melted"

5. Other fish look ok with good appetite

Read an article which mentioned that corals can survive 30-31 deg celcius temp, and fish are hardier.

Now rebooting chiller to 27 deg celcius and monitoring situation.. I think ZOAs definitely prefer 26-27 deg celcius :P