Questions on live rock

Dear friends,

I have been rearing fresh water fresh water fish (Malawi Cichlids and Neon Tetras) for sometime. It is my first attempt on saltwater.

In my 3x1.5x2 ft tank, I intend to have the basic Clownfish/Tang aquarium but with only LR (strictly FOWLR).

1) Does LR refer to those white dead coral-like stones? Saw some at a corner of Qian Hu.

2) Where can I find relatively cheaper LR?

3) Should I only add LR after water is cycled?

4) Where can I find the real clown fish (with thicker black strips)? How much is it roughly?

1 more question:

I might consider an artificial reef-scape. Where can I find it like the one shown below? So far I have only seen small individual pieces at LFS.

Picture from http://www.instantreef.com/images/Gallery/Saltwater_Fish_Only_with_Live_Rock_Aquarium_Artificial_Coral_Reef_Tank_Yan120New/Saltwater_Fish_only_with_Live_rock_Coral_Reef_Aquarium_Artificial_Coral_Reef_Inserts_Saltwater_Marine_Fish_Tank_06.JPG

post-23021-0-93196200-1378782238_thumb.j

Dear friends,

I have been rearing fresh water fresh water fish (Malawi Cichlids and Neon Tetras) for sometime. It is my first attempt on saltwater.

In my 3x1.5x2 ft tank, I intend to have the basic Clownfish/Tang aquarium but with only LR (strictly FOWLR).

1) Does LR refer to those white dead coral-like stones? Saw some at a corner of Qian Hu.

2) Where can I find relatively cheaper LR?

3) Should I only add LR after water is cycled?

4) Where can I find the real clown fish (with thicker black strips)? How much is it roughly?

Hi bro.

live rock are those in lfs that are running in the tank. they're normally covered with "stuffs". they will be inside seawater to make sure the bacteria doesnt die off. so the white dead coral like stone is no way LR.

you can find cheaper live rocks in pasir ris farm way. normally will cost u ard $6/kg or u can purchase from reefers here.

lr can be added during the cycling process. it will help.

there are lots of clownfish around. from 50cents to $1000. depends on which one youre looking for.

• SRC Member

Hi bro.

live rock are those in lfs that are running in the tank. they're normally covered with "stuffs". they will be inside seawater to make sure the bacteria doesnt die off. so the white dead coral like stone is no way LR.

you can find cheaper live rocks in pasir ris farm way. normally will cost u ard $6/kg or u can purchase from reefers here.

lr can be added during the cycling process. it will help.

there are lots of clownfish around. from 50cents to $1000. depends on which one youre looking for.

the cheapest i know is $1...wah where to get 50cents.

U forgot to mention tat the stuff is normally purplish...dun get those deep red color. But we can still use dead rock and bring it alive...n i feel its safer as u sun and kill of watever crap growing in the rock

• SRC Member

1 more question:

I might consider an artificial reef-scape. Where can I find it like the one shown below? So far I have only seen small individual pieces at LFS.

Picture from http://www.instantreef.com/images/Gallery/Saltwater_Fish_Only_with_Live_Rock_Aquarium_Artificial_Coral_Reef_Tank_Yan120New/Saltwater_Fish_only_with_Live_rock_Coral_Reef_Aquarium_Artificial_Coral_Reef_Inserts_Saltwater_Marine_Fish_Tank_06.JPG

BTW, the fish u see (black strip with long dorsel fin) is call butterfly..they are not reef safe if u wanna keep corals dun get the,m

• 3 weeks later...