Advice for MDF-made cabinet

Dear reefers,

i purchased a reef ready set up some time ago from Aquatic Style Singapore, was being told that the cabinet was to be made of MDF. I was skeptical initially, but was being repeatedly assured of its structural strength and durability as long as you don't abuse it with moisture and water. I went ahead with the purchase and i must say things went pretty well.

However recently i noticed a lot of fine, saw dust or wood dust congregating at almost every edges possible on the interior of the cabinet. It would appear few days later after i wiped them off. They looked like those sawdust you get in D and T workshops during the school days. I tried banging the cabinet slightly, and realised more dust fell out as i gently knocked the cabinet.

May i know if this is a sign of structural compromise of the cabinet, i don't want to come back one day with 100 gallons of saltwater flooding my living room. I would appreciate any inputs and advices from reefers with similar experience or with the relevant knowledge.

Thanks a lot guys !!

Hi bro fishy,

Do you really have a hundred gallons on your MDF cabinet?

Is your main structure made out of kapor wood and just the doors and panels made out of MDF or is everything made put of MDF?

From experience, MDF wooden furniture will eventually weaken. Have also experienced the dusty dust you have been finding. Very annoying.

I have personally got my tanks made by a few tank makers and they tell me they dont use anything other than kapor wood for the structure and nothing of lesser quality than plywood for the doors and sides because everything else breaks down over time.

|

What tank cabinet doesnt get into contact with water?

I suggest to look into making a new proper cabinet before anything bad happens.

its pure MDF cabinet, tank is around 3 2 2.5 i think so roughly the volume is around 100 gallons.

i'm thinking of that too, but that would be tooooo much time and effort tsk.

from your experience, does the dust means that the structure is failing ? Because this tank has only been running for less than a year !

Hi guys,

I have just installed a metal check valve to my return pumps so that I can use them as external pump. However, I have lost 1 star fish, yellow tang, blue tang and fox face since then. My 3 RBTA are not doing well suddenly now. My clownfish, trigger, chromis, Mandarin, Koran are looking healthy. I have checked ammonia nitrite and nitrate. All are normal like past 4mths.

I suspect that the check valve might be copper and it is releasing copper into the water. Is this possible?

Hi guys,

I have just installed a metal check valve to my return pumps so that I can use them as external pump. However, I have lost 1 star fish, yellow tang, blue tang and fox face since then. My 3 RBTA are not doing well suddenly now. My clownfish, trigger, chromis, Mandarin, Koran are looking healthy. I have checked ammonia nitrite and nitrate. All are normal like past 4mths.

I suspect that the check valve might be copper and it is releasing copper into the water. Is this possible?

Hi bro nehaali,

I apologize if I sound rude but suggest you should start your own topic regarding your questions? We should respect the original topic starter by not hijacking their thread.

With regards to your query, there's a big chance it is releasing copper.

All the best!

Hi bro fishy,

Yes from my experience with MDF furniture, especially with ikea cheap table tops and shelves, after a while there is a void or hole beneath the laminate if the laminate hasn't already fallen off :angry2: . I'm not a carpenter or handy man but i'm pretty certain it will break down over time. My current 'temporary' tank's cabinet, I made sure it was at least plywood (ready made tankset from fishy business, converted from freshwater). I still worry for it especially now while waiting for my new marine specific tankset. A ticking time bomb perhaps?

I agree with bro Evolutionz... almost bought his tankset from last years Aquarama. perhaps 100 gallons is really a lot of weight... for his nano cubes I think MAYBE can get away with it... but anything bigger is rather risky imho.

At the end of the day, MDF is made out of sawdust and glue.. versus the moisture resistant woods like what bro RedDevils has mentioned.

My humble suggestion is no matter how troublesome it is, it's sure worth all that effort to prevent a collapsed mdf cabinet...

I hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...