Stir sandbed

I will not recommend you to stir the sand bed . Even if you want to stir , you should do it bit by bit as the gas trapped in the substrate is toxic. Once released too much it will poison your water thus kill your livestock. I would suggest you to get sand dollar and snail to stir your sand bit by bit :)

[DECOMMEND]

Tank : 24" x 12" x 15" Acrylic Gex Tank

Lightings : Maxspect Razor 120W , Maxspect G2 160W ( Sold )
Skimmer : Red Sea Prizm
Dosing : Brightwell Aquatics Microbacter7,
Brightwell Aquatics Biofuel, Florida Aqua Farms It's Clear,

Florida Aqua Farms Coralline Stimulator.

Wavemaker : Tunze Nanostream 6015

I kept mostly LpS, and few frag of sps. I got LS but My 2yo flame angel just died this morning. Dunno what went wrong? So was asking around...
IN that case, IMO I think you can remove all your SPS and LPS and stir up the tank before sucking up the "dirt" and do 20% WC. Let the tank settle before putting back your SPS and LPS.

I kept mostly LpS, and few frag of sps. I got LS but My 2yo flame angel just died this morning. Dunno what went wrong? So was asking around...
I'm using a gravel vac when I change 10% of water weekly.

• 2 weeks later...

Bro which gravel vac u use? I bought the mr cleaner one. It's battery operated and pretty useless. I thought of the Eheim one but its rather pricey.

Bro, can this gravel vac be used for sand? I thought of getting one but the one I found is batt operated and the batt is not standard type...

• SRC Member

Siphon as much as you can weekly or when WC..After sucking the top layer you can stir It abit..Not to much..that will realease no3 too..I Do it 2weeks once..but now stop...i just let sand shifters do the work for me

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Good sand shifters, sand dollar or sea cucumber. The later has to be careful as it could wander too near to a wavemaker & get suck in, come out in cucumber bits. But with the latest design of wavemakers & bigger size cucumber, it should not be a problem. Btw, one sea cucumber for one tank. This is to ensure it has enough food to get from the sandbed for survival.