New 5ft tank progress

alanseah

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

finally got my TR 1.25hp,

but need to ask some question from those who got TR 1.25hp chiller..

The diagram that I have draw am I correct to say that the pipe nearest to the temperate control is the pipe to intake water and the other pipe is the return pipe where water is cool down and flow out from chiller...

Also what is the max flow rate the chiller required. how many l/h..??

post-34-1077241057.jpg

Your image is mirror reversed???

This is because the temp sensor is in the inlet which is nearer to the temp controller. If you connect the other way round then it will measure water temp coming out from the chiller.

Dr Chill recommends the flow rate between 1800-2000l/hr.

Have you noticed the 0.5hp is rated for 750 litres while the 1.25hp is rated for 900 or 950 litres? Quite strange right?

See my 1.25 Titanium chiller.

post-14-1074925826.jpg

• SRC Member

o ok thanx..

hmm me been wondering if possible to save on pump..

where I will use a EHEIM1260 2400 l/h to pump the water into the chiller and the output pipe of the chiller is connect directly to the tank return pipe where the output of chiller water go straight to the tank

• SRC Member

Hi alan,

by adding 1ft of refugium in sump makes no different to yr filtration. It would just be added work. It is also recommended u run a refugium separate from tank. So u can shutoff the refugium from sump if macro aglae crash in it.

For a refugium to contribute to yr filtration, it should be at least 75% of yr main tank size. This is extracted from one of Bob Goeman article.

Cheers!

Wei :)

Provided you dun have sand burowing creature... If you wan to have sand burrowing creature... You can try puting a net at the 5 inche level and add another 1-2 inch to cover the netting and giving the creature to burrow.. Like that it will not disturb the DSB...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

I notice many had do it too. But end of the day, issit that useful? Has one actually research on it to prove its usefulness if a refugium is used but so small?? Checkout their refugium, do u see alots of bubble within that shows that the DSB in refugium is working?

U can keep it to grow macro for food for yr tang, but as part of the filtration, I dun think its of much help. Even if there are pods, once it reach the return pump, you won't get anything alive from the output.

• SRC Member

Hmm for me, I have a small refuge too in my sump with DSB and some macro algae. The lights are switched on 24/7 and have noticed that cyano is growing there but not in the main tank. I suppose this is another advantage of having a refuge? can 'harvest' the cyano when it gets thick and its a form of nutrient export too?