Blue sponge turning yellow

andrewttw

sponges should be placed away from any light source,ideally in very dark corner.They are not photosynbiotic animal.

Food are siphoned through the pores and into its digestic system (what you see them as small little holes around the surface)

Exposed to light source,algae will grow and this animal will surfocate.Read this somewhere.

• SRC Member

I have had a yellow sponge in my sump of a similar color turn both red and blue and orange over time so I would say it is from the availability of certain nutrients in the water which changes it's color

• SRC Member

Is it possible to regrow them from chopped of segments? Like if I take chunks of the blue parts and put then aside?

And will they toxify tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if it will work but the main piece should be revivable with sufficient care. And I am keeping a large sponge in the brightest area of my tank without it getting affected by algae so I wouldn't say algae growth is the problem here. Maybe flow?

• SRC Member

You may want to read this if you really want to keep sponges alive for long term. I have definitely given up trying. Near to impossible to survive in captivity. http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/96820-sponge-care-basics/

Regards,
Jeff

Aquarium: 48" x 18" x 24" tank with 24" x 15" x 15" sump (approx. 150 gallons)
Equipment: Maxspect Razor 320W, Vortech MP40, Vertex Omega 180i, Eheim 1262 return pump, Hailea HS 66A, Bacteria King
Fish and coral food: Henry's Reefgourmet pellets, Preis coral energizer, Kent Marine PhytoPlex, Brightwell Reef Snow, Two-Little Fishies Marine Snow
Dosage: Triton Elements

IMG_0562small.jpg

Blue sponges rarely survive long in aquariums. One of the reasons is they cannot be exposed to air, which happens easily when one transfers them from tank to air or vice versa and which will cause air pockets to be lodged in their fragile structures. Eventually they turn yellow and disintegrate away. You hardly see any experienced reefers keeping them on their tanks.

Aquarium 3 - 250 liters with sump and refugium

Jebao DC 6000 pump with speed controller

Skimz skimmer

AI Hydra 52 HD

Hailea HS-66A (1/4 hp) chiller

Maxspect Gyre

TLF Phosban reactors with Phosban

Tunze nano osmolator

Marine Magic Triplet Dosing

Aquarium 1 - 27 litres

Atman HF-0600 HOB filter

Maxspect Razor Nano 60W (10,000 K)